Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed

Just completed my order, and sent you the money. Looking forward to getting this resin set, although my Kinetic Hornet will NOT be as nice as yours!

ALF

Wing Fold panel. Do not fold the beveled edge, only the base edge (inboard tab). I found out that if both ends folded it does not fit. This IMO is the best way. I also placed a very small bend, or arch in the panel so it will fit better, not just flat once laid in place.

IMG-20190428-170322.jpg

IMG-20190428-170708.jpg

Edited by AlienFrogModeller
On 5/2/2019 at 11:23 AM, Tom said:

Got my sets yesterday and they are gorgeous.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:29 PM, ALF18 said:

Same here. Thanks AFM!

ALF

Gentlemen, thank you for the compliments, but it must also be extended to my good friend Bruce.

I just got back from San Antonio, TX. there are PM waiting for me to be answered, I will get you soonest!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, sorry for the departure...was busy with work and SCOTTCON 2019.

Let's get to it shall we?

Canopy work.

You'll see the progression of each stage.

Dry scrape of the seam down the middle; careful just the ridge needs to be removed.

Dry rub with 2400 grit, left to right, right to left rubbing.

IMG-20190620-200038.jpg

Dry rub with 3600 grit, left to right, right to left rubbing.

IMG-20190620-200437.jpg

Dry rub 4000 grit, all over the windscreen in various directions.

IMG-20190620-200945.jpg

Wet rub, water, 8000 grit, all over the windscreen in various directions.

IMG-20190620-201837.jpg

Wet rub, water, 12000 grit, all over the windscreen in various directions. MUST stay wet, do not let it get dry, in rapid motion in all direction. I added a drop of hand soap and water to the back of the cloth prior to starting.

IMG-20190620-201935.jpg

Results, after about 15-20 minutes from start to finish(2400 to 12000). You cannot see the ugly seam that was there.

IMG-20190620-202350.jpg

You can now finish with a polish or use the dip into floor wax if you really want that extra shine.

Cheers

On 6/21/2019 at 2:06 AM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Very nice. I got really excited to see you were going to show how to fit the windscreen seamlessly to the fuselage...;) 

brisb 

MEEE too...I'm soo looking forward to that part....my dry fits has caused me some fitz.

New Product you might enjoy...I know I did!!

I used one side of the block (grey) for the raised line removal of the canopy. Flipped the block to buff (white)...was done in about 2 minutes using dry technique...amazing!!

Right canopy is completed, left is untouched.

IMG-20190630-092909.jpg

IMG-20190630-092925.jpg

Today I have experimented with hot water and clear parts...

My windscreen base at the aft side was too skinny and would not fit. This could be due to me and not checking the proper fit during assembly (step 13). But it could be the windscreen it self too. So this is what I did to correct it. I created a bar for the width to achieve proper clearance, as my go-no-go gauge. The mistake I made, was leaving the bar inside the windscreen for a couple hours. Minute cracking occurred at the base corners and all along the top of the windscreen due to stress. So I figured this windscreen was a loss. So, what the heck lets boil some water...

I first brought the water to hot, but not boiling...and tested to bend on clear sprue of the same windscreen.

This did not work very well, so I waited until full boil. The placed the part in the water using tweezers and slowly bent the sprue as seen below. No issues here...

IMG-20190701-134415.jpg

So I inserted the windscreen into the boiling water and submerged for approx 5 seconds (this time was tested on the previous test sprue part) and gently applied pressure to get the appropriate width. Blowing on the part and placing the go-no-go gauge in and achieved slightly large gap than intended. Now worries...

However the windscreen looked all foggy.

The right side was a very quick dry buff with the blue block used earlier. The go-no-go  gauge under the canopy to show the issues at this point.

IMG-20190701-134846.jpg

I finished buffing he windscreen with the buffing block and then used Tamiya Polish Fine on the inside and out. Took me about 5-7 minutes while watching You Chube.

IMG-20190701-135703.jpg

Here are the fit results, due to the wider than expected attempt, it was actually better. The part fits nice and snug in place with friction.

IMG-20190701-135855.jpg

IMG-20190701-135934.jpg

Now onto the front of the windscreen...*sigh*

Did I mention I still have a few cockpit sets left for sale?

AFM

So here is what I am facing on this particular windscreen. This maybe, more than likely, is user interface error - for the most part. There will be some gaps, but I want to show this case as possibly the worst case scenario.

IMG-20190701-142538.jpg

IMG-20190701-142524.jpg

IMG-20190701-142554.jpg

If you see me start a new thread on another kit, you'll have to put 2 and two together...

Cover me, I'm going in.

AFM

I decided to try an new windshield to see what is going on...and my suspicions were confirmed.

The hot water distorted the leading edge of the windscreen. Salvageable? Not sure yet.

New windscreen, as you can see the width is an issue.

IMG-20190701-180641.jpg

Side look way better.

IMG-20190701-180631.jpg

IMG-20190701-180620.jpg

Might have to order some extra clear parts....dang it.

Cheers

AFM

Windscreen test fit with the HUD....grrr. Notice the bottom of the windscreen corners where it meets the aircraft structure. The HUD is too tall or the windscreen is too short!

IMG-20190702-220307.jpg

More thinking required...maybe my HUD is not set all the way down inside. I'll check it out tomorrow night...until next time.

Folks...some bad news. I'm sure it has been documented by someone else but here is the issue I found.

The PE HUD is too big, too wide and tall. As per the instruction in Step 24 - PE11 does not fit into the windscreen area, will not accept the part L11 and L12 as per the OEM directions.

Suggestion: 1. Carefully with a sharp blade (or whatever works for you) to scrape the inside of the square hole where the part PE11 in to be placed. The scraping of plastic is along the sides where the PE 11 is to be placed.

Scrape-Here.jpg

2. (height prep) Remove the side arms from the base of PE11. Cut approx one half mm (1/2 mm from the base up the HUD side brace. This should give you the proper height.

Cut-here.jpg

3. Width prep - Place a filler - approx. .001" (scrape PE, paper, plastic) on the outer edge of the HUD brace square. Place the HUD brace on the inside of the filler you've created. Do this twice, once for each side, this will close the gap to use the OEM part L11 and L12 in step 24. The filler gap will depend on your scraping inside the HUD square from earlier.

Filler-here.jpg

4. You might find a better more efficient way, this was my process and may improve it on the next three. I don't think this is avoidable, no matter what you do...except.

I made a HUD cover, we did use this during the season, you probably wont see too many pics as techs/aircrew would remove when on display.

IMG-20190704-135005.jpg

IMG-20190704-143135.jpg

Placed the canopy in place and used putty around the screen.

IMG-20190705-154014.jpg

I'll let that harden and then sanding..tomorrow.

IMG-20190705-154021.jpg

• 3 months later...

The shroud over the instrument panel - the part that the HUD sits on  - what's it called?  There appears to be a bit of a gap between the top of the IP and the shroud which makes me wonder if that part is too tall.  It also seems to obscure the forward view a bit more than I would expect...  Just a thought.

jenshb, 

WOW you got me on the IP Coaming...good one, doesn't happen to often. But in the hornet maint community it's the glare shield. Ithink after some looking and comparing, the glare shield is too tall but it accommodates the IP well. So is the IP too tall, or the cockpit tub? I might be thinkin' its a bit of everything. I will be looking at it closer on my next group of family version Hornets (Bs).

• AlienFrogModeller changed the title to Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed