Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed

On with the details...

Wing launcher details, I needed to add the N2 Bottle handle opening handle on all the launchers, here's how.

Made the handles from a small rod dipped in black CA glue creating the ball on the end of the rod. Then used a .4 dill bit to drill out a placement hole for the handle. Then simply cut to length slid in and a drop of glue to hold in place.

PXL-20210116-180330619.jpg

PXL-20210116-180446510-PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL-20210117-130135646.jpg

Just for some fun, experience building I created a mold for the lower antennas.

PXL-20210116-180506760.jpg

PXL-20210116-180722372.jpg

I also added a .3 rod for the #1 fuel cell drain tube. It will be trimmed to length and then painted later. Also note the Chaff/Flare buckets, as the blanking panel will not be installed as I will have this in the typical 2v2 loadout seen at the Sqn.

Edited by AlienFrogModeller

I really have to place a shout out to Flying Leather Necks, I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times in Marietta and at the 2019 Nationals hosted by Chattanooga.

His masking for this kit is excellent! The windscreen one piece mask beautifly fit; I was so happy with the fit and only took me 15 seconds to mask this area!!

PXL-20210117-133639605.jpg

Depth is very important so you don't cause damage to the topside exterior.

Lesson learned for me...planning this should have been done at the assy stage. But I didn't think of this type of setup until I built the wings...

PXL-20210117-143906246.jpg

Marking your drill bits to ensure depth is controlled and causing damage to the top side doesn't happen by mistake.

PXL-20210117-143913353.jpg

I labeled the bits in order of use, so I don't tear up the surface and have a nice clean hole. The P bit is for the pylon stubs.

PXL-20210117-152041408.jpg

Polarity, must ensure you have the polarity correct before you install the magnet...

I placed the magnets to get positive polarity.

PXL-20210117-144609909.jpg

The I rotated the pylon in place and gently started the magnets in their respective holes.

Then used my finger nail to gently slide the magnet in, no glue need, the predrilled hole is .002 smaller than the magnet and friction will do the rest.

PXL-20210117-145316718.jpg

Done!!

PXL-20210117-152853999.jpg

I've used very thin styrene as shim stock to ensure level pylons on the top side of the pylon. Besides, not all pylons fit perfectly flush on the aircraft. I have remembered many times where I could place my hand flat and placed between the pylon and ac. Typically there is always some gap, that's why you don't see wear or rub marks on pylon stations of ac.

Cheers

AFM

2 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Those magnets are really cool and offer a lot of options. Nice work.

Steve

Appreciate that! You're too kind.

I wanted to be able to change the load outs with the pylon with diff station loads or, to be bare of any loads. Essentially, teeth or no teeth...LOL.

Cheers

AFM

Here I finished the install, didn't take long to have this option available now and for future loads. Will just have to be mindful of the magnetic locations and polarity. These will be my masters for different configs...as I labelled them for later install.

PXL-20210117-165116310.jpg

Cheers

AFM

Centerline tank...taking advantage of magnets and their polarity field, vs pylons and direct magnetic contact.

Same concept of installation of magnets. This one after testing was a little too deep...so I drilled the pilot hole adjacent to the magnet a place a dental tool into the hole with a hook, and pulled the magnet up to level of the pylon.

PXL-20210117-173331520.jpg

Fuel tank.

PXL-20210117-173344052.jpg

With the tank installed with no glue and magnets hidden from view.

PXL-20210117-173319326.jpg

Cheers

AFM

PXL-20210117-173311925.jpg

And in flight!! taking advantage of the magnetic fields created by each magnet...again be aware of the polarity, if installed opposite to each other, they will push each other away!

PXL-20210117-173828550.jpg

Test fitting after underside painted and light dusting of the ext tank and pylons. All pylons magnetically held in place as well as the center line tank. The Vert stabs in place for test fitting.

PXL-20210120-025402736.jpg

No pylons...

PXL-20210120-025437350.jpg

Config change...This ideas stemmed from moving due to the military life. Now I can spend more time modelling instead of repairing.

PXL-20210120-025554555.jpg

Cheers

AFM

Nice work on the 2000 jet, I always really liked that jet despite it not being one of our jets (416). Still one of the most amazing jets and intricate paint schemes Jim painted. Most don’t know the secrets, like your children’s names in the tail. The colors he used in that were so diverse in numbers. Need more pictures of it!

Nice work on the next one too, take care Bear!

14 hours ago, Scooby said:

Nice work on the 2000 jet, I always really liked that jet despite it not being one of our jets (416). Still one of the most amazing jets and intricate paint schemes Jim painted. Most don’t know the secrets, like your children’s names in the tail. The colors he used in that were so diverse in numbers. Need more pictures of it!

Nice work on the next one too, take care Bear!

Hey Scoob, Hope all is well with the Family!

Thank you for the compliment,  yes the Millennium livery was my fav as well. There was 2000 children's names on the aircraft and if you look ever so close to the pics of the real aircraft, the names are not only on the tail but in all the yellow stripes. My boys were on top left wing, bottom right near the roundel.

I'll be getting more pics of 796 once it is finished I have some more detailing to do to call it done.

Cheers

AFM

• AlienFrogModeller changed the title to Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed