Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed

On 1/20/2021 at 12:57 PM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Hey Scoob, Hope all is well with the Family!

Thank you for the compliment,  yes the Millennium livery was my fav as well. There was 2000 children's names on the aircraft and if you look ever so close to the pics of the real aircraft, the names are not only on the tail but in all the yellow stripes. My boys were on top left wing, bottom right near the roundel.

I'll be getting more pics of 796 once it is finished I have some more detailing to do to call it done.

Cheers

AFM

All is well with the family.Youngest just turned 16. Two oldest have graduated university, one is a school teacher and the second in healthcare.

Are you still in Georgia? I hope all is well with you!

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

All is well with the family.Youngest just turned 16. Two oldest have graduated university, one is a school teacher and the second in healthcare.

Are you still in Georgia? I hope all is well with you!

WOW that's awesome! Grats to them all, I'm sure you're a proud parent!

Still in Georgia, finishing up my fourth year. Not sure if we are coming home this year or next. All good here, enjoying the weather!!

Cheers

AFM

Well, Im not looking for perfection but a reasonable likeness is what I am striving for...and that upper ac S/N did not meet that intent of this kit project...grrr. Two problems...wrong size, not sure how my QA missed that ( I was probably having a wobbly pop when I was doing graphics that night) and it was the wrong color I think...

But anyways...about to correct it.

PXL-20210122-035434167.jpg

Adjusted my graphics and maskings, noticed all my mask sizings and they were the wrong size. Also finally have a good roundel that I will mask as well.

Until next time...

Cheers

AFM

Edited by AlienFrogModeller

I place my masking and then with this tool I ensure it is sitting completely so the paint doesn't bleed through.

First I gently apply pressure for a consistent flat placement eliminating any bubbles.

PXL-20210122-043846044.jpg

Then I use the ball end to get that final seal.

PXL-20210122-043849508.jpg

Then...rinse , repeat. But this one is a multiple mask, removing the negative masks once the initial gentle pressure to sit the whole mask down evenly.

PXL-20210122-044212359.jpg

Then paint as per normal.

Whallah!! Soooo much better than the first attempt!

PXL-20210122-050751874.jpg

Roundel...

PXL-20210122-050755327.jpg

Next time...the nose and false canopy numbers, followed by the underwing Roundel

and 762  maskings.

PXL-20210122-050826444.jpg

Cheers

AFM

11 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

WOW that's awesome! Grats to them all, I'm sure you're a proud parent!

Still in Georgia, finishing up my fourth year. Not sure if we are coming home this year or next. All good here, enjoying the weather!!

Cheers

AFM

Yes we are proud parents. Our son is in air cadets and last year was selected as top fourth year cadet. Yesterday he completed his Transport Canada medical for glider pilot training this summer (if the camps go forward).

Georgia must be great, awesome you got four years out of it. As mentioned, I did a lot of training out of Atlanta. It was awesome to visit.

You had me stumped on the upper wing number, I was searching everywhere to see if the number was done once in a different color and font. Sort of like 712s mixed up control surface.  Hard to believe you made a Hornet mistake, your first error ever! :)

Take care my friend.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Yes we are proud parents. Our son is in air cadets and last year was selected as top fourth year cadet. Yesterday he completed his Transport Canada medical for glider pilot training this summer (if the camps go forward).

Georgia must be great, awesome you got four years out of it. As mentioned, I did a lot of training out of Atlanta. It was awesome to visit.

You had me stumped on the upper wing number, I was searching everywhere to see if the number was done once in a different color and font. Sort of like 712s mixed up control surface.  Hard to believe you made a Hornet mistake, your first error ever! 🙂

Take care my friend.

LOL, definitely not my first Hornet error, especially maint.

The numbers were too spaced out and used the wrong color. Was thinking of underwing, placed masking underside as well, then is sprayed the top...was excited to see how they would turn out.

Cheers

AFM

9 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

LOL, definitely not my first Hornet error, especially maint.

The numbers were too spaced out and used the wrong color. Was thinking of underwing, placed masking underside as well, then is sprayed the top...was excited to see how they would turn out.

Cheers

AFM

This is funny, I saw the color you used and I thought you meant it for the bottom or 762 was unique. I searched everywhere to see if you got it right, all I could find was the light gray. I didn’t find any variations.

I get to work today and my screen saver is 794 banking.  The upper wing number on this one matches the nose color, the dark gray. I found one that differed that I look at everyday!

Scrapped off the center mold lines, then gently sanded, then washed in soapy water to remove all dust particles.

PXL-20210123-150355256.jpg

The bottle is deep enough to accommodate the windscreen and canopy. allowing for full submersion. Before starting make sure the surface of the Future Floor Wax (pledge) is bubble free. Immerse the object into the fluid and gently aggitage under the surface to ensure all air had been displaced. Then slowly pull the object out.

PXL-20210123-150416286.jpg

When the object is free of the fluid hold the object in such a manner that the fluid can flow to one corner. Then with a clean q-tip or a small piece of paper towel, touch the excess fluid, it will naturally flow into the q-tip or towel. Do this a few time until excess is removed.

PXL-20210123-150542368.jpg

Once you have the desired result they should look like this!

PXL-20210123-151822117.jpg

If you make a mistake, all you have to do is wash in soapy water, or redip to get a higher level of gloss.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

AFM

Here is a better shot on the canopy frame in natural light.

PXL-20210123-153419258.jpg

Next step, is to add the PE to the Canopy which will host the mirrors and SHOOT light which will be added and attached. Maybe I'll look at some wiring and the canopy seal as well.

Cheers

AFM

Cheers

AFM

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

Very nice! Love the details and the clear canopy.

I tried to fine what cutter you are using for the serials and roundel. Is it in the thread?

Thanks for the compliment.

Not sure If I had mentioned, its the Cricut Maker.

Cheers

AFM

1 hour ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Just adding some details to the Canopy before placing onto the frame...the SHoot Cue light box on the right and the Map light on the left...of course as the pilot sits.

PXL-20210123-210243885.jpg

That's all for today...see you in the morning!!

Cheers

AFM

You should add Spanky’s astray!

Wind screen work

This is where I placed the Flying Leather Necks windscreen mask. Did I mention I love these masks (FLM48-8)?

As you can see the arrows show the sanding to ensure the edge of the windscreen is even with the airframe.

PXL-20210124-203053937.jpg

The arrows with the green fill, shows areas with heavy fill. Overall there is fill required almost all around.

PXL-20210124-203045784.jpg

So I have done three of these now and can honestly say that my first two attempts we not good, but they worked. But now if I use the talc and thin CA glue mix to get it right and easy too!

I'll takes some pics as I move through that process.

Cheers

AFM

SO there I was, checking the last minute fit on the canopy, glue in hand and ready to place the windscreen, something in my head was screaming nooooooooo...

Almost for the Hud glass...sheesh.

Found some clear scrap acetate from my 3d screen replacement...

Cover with tape for ease of sight and find...

PXL-20210124-214655729.jpg

Then install..should look something like this. I use Bob Smith IC-2000 and Super-Gold for most of my clear parts needs. I use the IC-2000 ALLOT everywhere!

PXL-20210124-222926416-PORTRAIT.jpg

Cheers

AFM

To all who have been in here to check out the build of this production line...

I did not set out to impress...

I did set out to help others...

I did not set out to seek approval...

I did set out show what I do...

I did not think it would take me this long...

I did experience some setbacks...

I do very much appreciate the 51K views...

I do very much appreciate the support...

I especially appreciate what all's y'all have taught me...

Thank YOU...

Humbly,

AFM

• AlienFrogModeller changed the title to Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed