Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed

9 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

The jet is extremely well done and, that pilot really pushes it over the top. Very nice job AFM.

Steve

Steve,

Appreciate the feedback, I think I will be adding more figures in my builds, it adds "depth", more that what I thought it would. but also, I was also very apprehensive in adding figures attributed to my very low confidence level. But this site and the help of YouTube helped with my skills. Thank you everyone.

Cheers

AFM

You're a brave man, four at once when a barely manage one model ( and still not ETA for my Baz...)

Like a lot the details you added and remeber me of the effort I put on my Aussie model and that I need to add a Canadian Hornet to my collection,surely a Desert Storm bird.

Nice work,really!

Gianni

8 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

You're a brave man, four at once when a barely manage one model ( and still not ETA for my Baz...)

Like a lot the details you added and remeber me of the effort I put on my Aussie model and that I need to add a Canadian Hornet to my collection,surely a Desert Storm bird.

Nice work,really!

Gianni

Appreciate the kind words, thank you so much.

Cheers

AFM

Carmen.....I've been off the forum for a while, but came to check out your CF-18 thread......brother, your Hornet's are impressive.  762 looks awesome with that pilot!

I have one question.....what did you use to make the RBF flag on the nose gear?  Also, do you have any photos of the detent wrench used on the wingtip LAU's?  Working on my own Hornet project at the moment.

Hope all is well on your end!

21 hours ago, Colin K said:

Carmen.....I've been off the forum for a while, but came to check out your CF-18 thread......brother, your Hornet's are impressive.  762 looks awesome with that pilot!

I have one question.....what did you use to make the RBF flag on the nose gear?  Also, do you have any photos of the detent wrench used on the wingtip LAU's?  Working on my own Hornet project at the moment.

Hope all is well on your end!

Hi Colin,

Glad you stopped by! Thank you very much for the kind words.

RBF Flags x4, I made from Tamiya Tape. If you want I can add an quick how to.

As for the detent wrench...I too will be adding to this forum when I attach the live weapons on Hornet - 795.

Let me know if you need pics soonest, shoot me an email.

Cheers

AFM

On 2/13/2021 at 11:48 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

A-10 LOADER, thank you very much, my first time with figures. I agree, never tried it before an noticed people's build and they create a deeper story being told. My guy in his 1993 Hornet was reading the latest issue of Sports Illustrated 1993 Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup win. Only thing missing now is a Timmy's coffee to make it more complete, he did have maple syrup on his waffles pre-flight and was sorry that the LA Kings lost...

PXL-20210213-163937790-PORTRAIT.jpg

Cheers

AFM

Ah, I remember that cup win very well! My wife went into labour on the Friday afternoon (11 June 93) they held the Cup parade "on the usual route" in Montreal. I had briefed a CF-18 mission, but we had a back-up pilot in the brief in case - you guessed it - she called Ops and I had to bow out to be with her. We watched the parade together on TV as she grimaced with each contraction, and our son was born in the middle of the night. 

I constantly remind him that the Habs have not won a Cup since he was born. Sorry. It's our fault.

So, I stop checking on your thread for a couple years, and come back to find absolute awesomeness! That level of detail and skill is incredible to see. Well done AFM!!!

ALF

11 hours ago, ALF18 said:

Ah, I remember that cup win very well! My wife went into labour on the Friday afternoon (11 June 93) they held the Cup parade "on the usual route" in Montreal. I had briefed a CF-18 mission, but we had a back-up pilot in the brief in case - you guessed it - she called Ops and I had to bow out to be with her. We watched the parade together on TV as she grimaced with each contraction, and our son was born in the middle of the night. 

I constantly remind him that the Habs have not won a Cup since he was born. Sorry. It's our fault.

So, I stop checking on your thread for a couple years, and come back to find absolute awesomeness! That level of detail and skill is incredible to see. Well done AFM!!!

ALF

ALF,

Thanks for stopping and having a look.

Love that you can associate the last win with the birth of you son...too funny.

Thank you for the kind words and appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

AFM

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 6:06 PM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Hi Colin,

Glad you stopped by! Thank you very much for the kind words.

RBF Flags x4, I made from Tamiya Tape. If you want I can add an quick how to.

As for the detent wrench...I too will be adding to this forum when I attach the live weapons on Hornet - 795.

Let me know if you need pics soonest, shoot me an email.

Cheers

AFM

Yeah....if you don't mind a quick how-to on the RBF flags, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'll send you an email regarding the detent wrench.

Edited by Colin K
16 hours ago, Colin K said:

Yeah....if you don't mind a quick how-to on the RBF flags, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'll send you an email regarding the detent wrench.

I'll create a step by step in here when I create the Loaded flag as well, as the last aircraft I'm working on will be loaded with a plethora of weapons.

Cheers

AFM

CC177 done...just getting ready to head out to JaxCon this weekend...thought I would touch base with my production line. Then after careful review...I dull coated with the VMS Matt Varnish HD top coats. Beautiful stuff.

A few pics after I had the MLG doors installed...but not rigged...yet 😏.

IMG-20210407-214221-943.jpg

PXL-20210408-014512755.jpg

PXL-20210408-014522913.jpg

PXL-20210408-014537767.jpg

Until next time...thanks for stopping in.

Cheers

AFM

AFM,  Just gorgeous work on the CF-188s here!  I need to get me some of those "production jigs" to hold my models when I work.  This has been wonderful watching, learning and a few "Aha!" moments for me.  Kind regards, Dutch

On 4/9/2021 at 5:14 AM, Dutch said:

AFM,  Just gorgeous work on the CF-188s here!  I need to get me some of those "production jigs" to hold my models when I work.  This has been wonderful watching, learning and a few "Aha!" moments for me.  Kind regards, Dutch

Dutch,

Thank for the kind words, I am very pleased to here that you have taken something away from this build!!

Cheers

AFM

Evening, just a quick post just before bed time...

Never realized how much in the dark I was...

PXL-20210418-014715931.jpg

Then I tried to fix that...

PXL-20210418-014729966.jpg

So much better...I made this today. Saw it on Youtube.

Excuse my messy desk.

PXL-20210418-014432655.jpg

PXL-20210418-014426395.jpg

So now I tried my hand at some oils...

PXL-20210418-034911626.jpg

PXL-20210418-033539502.jpg

I went back and did some more blending...I have more pic tomorrow. But that took about an hour or so.

Until next time.

Cheers

AFM

51 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Love the weathering Bear, just like 712 was late in service.

I need to find one of those light strips. Is it homemade with LED strips on a metal strip or is a brandname product?

Scoob,

Thanks, still blending the grime and will take me about another day or two to get the right look. The I'll move onto the gear once installed.

Homemade light bar.

Amazon adhesive light strip - 16 feet $15.00 (this one is dimmable using a potentiometer)

Lowe's for aluminum flat strip 1/16 thick x 1" wide x 6 ft $10.50

Lowe's for aluminum angle piece $8.00 but I bought too much, the 6ft was what they had in stock. I made two 3 inch sections for the feet.

Lowe's for washers - $1.20

Lowe's screws and bolts - $1.20

Soldering to get three rows of lights onto the bar will need a short wire pieces (x4) - had some laying around - no cost.

Drill

Drill bit

Wire cutters

Screw driver

Cost <$37

Assy time - 40 minutes

Cheers

AFM

Good Day,

As requested...RCAF CF188 RBF flags

Below is a pic of three pieces of Tamiya tape 10 mm.

The top center is removed for the holding device placed on the cutting matt.

The orange strip is airbrushed of the applicable color.

The bottom left is the painted orange that was masked off with, yes mind blowing, another piece of tape. to airbrush the yellow stripes.

Then all I did was cut to width and then folded onto itself (measure to double the width), to create a RCAF CF188 RBF flag.

PXL-20210418-154412914.jpg

Cheers

AFM

42 minutes ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Scoob,

Thanks, still blending the grime and will take me about another day or two to get the right look. The I'll move onto the gear once installed.

Homemade light bar.

Amazon adhesive light strip - 16 feet $15.00 (this one is dimmable using a potentiometer)

Lowe's for aluminum flat strip 1/16 thick x 1" wide x 6 ft $10.50

Lowe's for aluminum angle piece $8.00 but I bought too much, the 6ft was what they had in stock. I made two 3 inch sections for the feet.

Lowe's for washers - $1.20

Lowe's screws and bolts - $1.20

Soldering to get three rows of lights onto the bar will need a short wire pieces (x4) - had some laying around - no cost.

Drill

Drill bit

Wire cutters

Screw driver

Cost <$37

Assy time - 40 minutes

Cheers

AFM

Thanks, suspected it was. I appreciate the details.

• 3 weeks later...

She has legs for days....

Dry fitting Part III (Part I and II was pre painting and assy) before I use epoxy glue. This type of glue offers more adhesion, flexibility and will not break (shatter, fragile) like a CA glue will.

PXL-20210508-211009067.jpg

PXL-20210508-211022305.jpg

PXL-20210508-211033163.jpg

Until next time.

Cheers

AFM

SO I decided I didn't like the RBF tags I made before. So in my own little special way I had to make very complicated versions...When will I learn.

So i took my process of making RCAF RBF and then took the painted tape and placed on some adhesive aluminum tape. Then folded the tape over and then trimmed to look good. Added a Pin...
PXL-20210510-010402049.jpg

Then...I didnt like the silver paint...SOOOOO I added more aluminum tape...
PXL-20210510-022722790.jpg

Then I safely pinned my NLG prior to towing the ac into the hangar.

PXL-20210510-022728571.jpg

The reason for this insane process...so I can "form" the flag in any position to make it look more real while it is sitting on the tire or leaning on another part of the aircraft. More on that later.

Cheers

AFM

Hey kids...guess what time it is??

Arts n crafts time...!!

Check this out, I made some circles...a whole sheet!!! Enough to do about...6 more Hornets! guess what I'm doing for the rest of my life...LOL.

PXL-20210513-003204475.jpg

PXL-20210513-003141901.jpg

Until next time!

Cheers

AFM

• 3 weeks later...
  • AlienFrogModeller changed the title to Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed