Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed

Started a small production line of CF188 aircraft. Will be a slow build but I am willing to show some pics along the way of the progress.

4 Kinetic CF188 aircraft 

Decals - Leading Edge, Kit supplied, Canuck

Mask: Flying Leatherneck Decals - FLM48-8 Canopy and wheel set

Resin - Neomega (the cockpit sets is not that great), Aries, Attack Sqn, Wolfpack, Northstar, Legend (seats too small), My own Resin Cockpit tub-Fat Pylons-Vert Stabs-Ext tanks (on hold).

Photoetch - Eduard, A.M.U.R. Reaver

Paint - Mr Color, Gunze, Tamiya, Testors, Alclad, Vallejo Primer (73.601) - not happy with it, Mig White primer (2004), Mr Color Black 1500 as primer

Glue - Tamiya Extra Thin, Tamiya Cement, Bob Smith Industries, Mercury Adhesives, Gorilla

Misc - Mr Hobby masking liquid, Walthers Solvaset, Mr Mark Softener, Microscale Decal Set+Solution+Krystal Klear+Microflat+Microgloss, Vallejo Plastic putty, Squadron Green putty, 3M red filler.

Tools - Waldron Punch and Die set, .1"+ .2"+.3" + .4" drill bits, Side cutters, tweezers, #10 + #15 scalpel blades, Various clamps, home made jigs (paper), various pens, swear words, luck and spousal support.

So here goes; it's not a fast ride but your welcome to follow. Hopefully you'll pick up a few things and a I'll learn as well from your feedback.

5a88cfe083a58_StartofHornetbuild.jpg.8b1e1d54a982b65e0f126a28b114f01b.jpg

Edited by AlienFrogModeller
Update

I added .060" to lengthen the kit pylons. As you can see compared to the Wolfpack version. I compared only after I measured against photos of the external tank on the actual aircraft. Worked out pretty close I'd say. Plus it just looks better.

Pylon.jpg.bdb7f8b6757a4fe23b15f5f51c165b66.jpg

Edited by AlienFrogModeller
typo

Here I drilled out the ID light holes and also if you noticed on the previous pics, all the drain holes have also been drilled out (Nose area - .1", .2", .3" drill bits). I also sanded down the Formation lights on both sided so they don't stand out as much. on the real aircraft they are almost flush.

5a88da743a0f5_IDLight.jpg.1e6765a59e0b426af046e890bd2d1bd1.jpg

Add the Mod to the Vert stab and drilled out the drain holes at the base. I also "scrapped" the bottom portion of the base. It's not just a square block at the bottom, so I angled the base to reflect the actual aircraft. Note the two white dots...part of the strengthener mod.

5a88dbeaafdfd_VertStab.jpg.4849eea7e1e7378a7ab1d91ab52c4426.jpg

Trying something new, to me. I placed a layer of Tamiya tape and edged it with thin super glue. Hopefully this works if not, I'll try something else. Basically it is to represent the extra layers of carbon fibre on the Horz Stab. I will also be drilling out the drain holes at the tips of the Stabs, some have 1 others can have two just depending on the version of the Stabs. There are also no recessed lines on this airfoil.

5a88dd5f0c342_HorzStab.jpg.d2f78230504e0836a8dce9eeea1a77a5.jpg

Hoooorneeets :thumbsup: Great start on a very nice project.

9 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Trying something new, to me. I placed a layer of Tamiya tape and edged it with thin super glue. Hopefully this works if not, I'll try something else. Basically it is to represent the extra layers of carbon fibre on the Horz Stab. I will also be drilling out the drain holes at the tips of the Stabs, some have 1 others can have two just depending on the version of the Stabs. There are also no recessed lines on this airfoil.

5a88dd5f0c342_HorzStab.jpg.d2f78230504e0836a8dce9eeea1a77a5.jpg

Interesting, I've never seen any strengthening plate there, but I've only seen pictures of that area. Is it something specific to CF-18? Most model manufacturers place a panel line there.

55 minutes ago, Thadeus said:

Hoooorneeets :thumbsup: Great start on a very nice project.

Interesting, I've never seen any strengthening plate there, but I've only seen pictures of that area. Is it something specific to CF-18? Most model manufacturers place a panel line there.

Here is a shot of the layered carbon on the Horz Stab. Note the drain hole at the tip trailing edge.

5a896dcccc91c_720TMOTA2003RHorzStab.jpg.a51b07f2cede5887d44ca42eb7ca13c5.jpg

7 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

EW Pylon Mod

5a8b3947c614f_EWPylonMod.jpg.a69b64a49baecaf46c882eb11557745f.jpg

Corrected measurements

Nice mod. I am lucky I have a couple of fat pylons in resin put out by The Major. 

I think I will have to check the length though. Thanks for that info.

1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

Nice mod. I am lucky I have a couple of fat pylons in resin put out by The Major. 

I think I will have to check the length though. Thanks for that info.

Glad I can help. I compared mine to the Wolfpack version, like I have said before, I'll never buy their product again (missing parts never had any support). But they are very close. Just have to make the rear ground point holes and the form the two  panels on the FAT pylons. This took me a couple hours to make today, between clean my car, the wife's truck, picking ticks outta my dogs, taking the wife for a lunch and ice cream!

Pylons.jpg.f520ab39bef5461b997396432c86976c.jpg

On 18.02.2018 at 1:13 PM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Here is a shot of the layered carbon on the Horz Stab. Note the drain hole at the tip trailing edge.

5a896dcccc91c_720TMOTA2003RHorzStab.jpg.a51b07f2cede5887d44ca42eb7ca13c5.jpg

Great thanks for the reply and a photo, I've never noticed anything like that on any picture. Very interesting :)

Some very nice work You're doing here. Can't wait for more!

BTW, what schemes are You going for?

• AlienFrogModeller changed the title to Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed