Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed

Some serious gappage...if you look closely at the forward right side of the windscreen, there is a huge step between the windscreen and the aft end of the IFR Probe corner.

IMG_20181111_152023.jpg

Different view of the major step when I assembled the Nose section to the cockpit area.

IMG_20181111_213427.jpg

Made a cut and placed a spacer to "push-out" the panel behind the IFR Probe box area. this made it flush and the windscreen fits way better.

IMG_20181111_213723.jpg

Edited by AlienFrogModeller

Now to place the IFR Probe on. Scale models are just like the real thing! If you had the pleasure of fitting one of these panels on a real Hornet, you'll know that they are a custom fit job. Here I'll just fill the gaps with a fine sand, and should be good to go!

IMG_20181111_225215.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Wow, that's a lot of hard work there. Thanks for posting your progress. If this is Kinetic's idea of a well fitting model kit, then I will never build mine.

Cheers

Brad

Hi Brad,

It looks worse than it is. It took just a few minutes to fix. I do really like the detail the kit offers, especially the potential to go crazy with details.

I have to admit, some this is due to user error and complacency as well.

Hows the retirement? Hope all is well, thanks for stopping in.

Edited by AlienFrogModeller
On 11/11/2018 at 10:03 PM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Better fitting, minor gaps now, easy fix.

IMG_20181111_213807.jpg

Carmen....did you experience any clearance issues between the windscreen and the instrument coaming at all?  I've found I had to trim a bit off of the front of the coaming, in order to get a better fit.  I'll have to keep that spreader idea in mind.  If that alleviates any big fit issues, then perhaps trimming the coaming won't be necessary on future builds of mine.

13 hours ago, Colin K said:

Carmen....did you experience any clearance issues between the windscreen and the instrument coaming at all?  I've found I had to trim a bit off of the front of the coaming, in order to get a better fit.  I'll have to keep that spreader idea in mind.  If that alleviates any big fit issues, then perhaps trimming the coaming won't be necessary on future builds of mine.

Hi Colin,

I'll have a closer look, didn't notice any issue there but to be honest I wasn't looking that area yet. Just finishing some resin cockpits made from one of my masters, I'll have some product in my hands on Tuesday night. A good frined is making the mold master and initial sets for me. I will be engaging his resin skills and get him to pass on his abilities from him...lol. maybe.

Evening everyone, I'm so excited. My resin teacher has brought to me the molds of my scratch build work.  and some resin cast product of those molds. I cannot express my excitement and I cannot wait to start using them. Thank you Bruce! Check out some of his work in this link. Below is some quick pics of his work.

Vert stabs - note the reshaped base, drain holes at the base, strengtheners, modern antennae and bolt heads

IMG_20181127_214806.jpg

IMG_20181127_214816.jpg

Cockpit tub including the "hell hole", ECS ducting, night lite, O2 panel correction, added many switches.

IMG_20181127_214836.jpg

Instrument panel has more switches and radio knobs.

IMG_20181127_214858.jpg

Side panels include map case, switches, canopy crank handle, lites

IMG_20181127_214916.jpg

I will be starting to paint and fit over the next few days.

8 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Whoa. Impressive.

Thank you sir, team effort coming to fruition. I can now continue with the remainder of my Hornet builds.  I have a fifth and sixth build in mind for  the sports car version. As I have 4 Family versions I need to do as well. But unfortunately time and fiscal restraints are the core mitigating factors in decreasing the build rate at this point.

13 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I'll be up for a couple of sets. I already have some fat pylons so all good there. I also have to pick up the kit but that is easy to get.

I would be in for at least 1 set.  what would the set comprise of?

• AlienFrogModeller changed the title to Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed