Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed

On 11/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, Brad-M said:

I find it very weird that Eduard doesn't offer PE or Brassin stuff for this kit. They don't even have a canopy mask for it.

Brad

DN Models also make canopy masks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canopy-Paint-Masks-1-48-Kinetic-F-A-18-A-B-CF-188-Hornet-48030-48031-F-18/183564093777?hash=item2abd45c951:g:T3gAAOSwsW9Y0lSg:rk:32:pf:0

Dreammodel makes PE for the cockpit. The description says it is for both the A and C versions:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dreammodel-CDM48025-1-48-Color-PE-for-F-A-18A-C-Cockpit-Detail-for-KINETIC/112830088468?hash=item1a45328514:g:gfgAAOSw~CFY8ONt:rk:16:pf:0

Finally, Eduard does make a PE set for the Kinetic F-18C. I don't know what the differences are between the A, C and CF-188:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eduard-1-48-F-A-18C-Hornet-Cockpit-Kinetic-FE794/302975428842?hash=item468abe28ea:g:jtkAAOSwLNxb~iAk:rk:5:pf:0

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Looks like you have a great production line going there. Hope to see more in the new year. Some fine work on display.

Hope to be able to get a couple of your sets too.

Thank you skyhawk for the visit. I will be providing more pics over the next few days.

Afternoon,

I trust everyone had a great start to the holiday season!

Throughout my build a number of people have suggested I make a resin cockpit tub; I ageed, but I didn't have the skill set to do so. But along came this gentleman, Bruce, who gently reminded me many times that he could help me out and teach me how. So we tried it and, here is the result. Before this post you'll see the results painted up and ready for installation. Below is a pic of the set I am willing to sell to those brave enough to try this product out.

CF188-Late-Model-Detail-Set-AFM-Resin.jp

In this set is the following:

1a Fat Boy pylon

1b Fat Boy pylon

2a Standard Pylon with minor improvements

2b Standard Pylon with minor improvements

3 Cockpit tub - with hell hole, ecs ducting, night light, NVIS lighting, hook handle, parking brake in the park position, JHMCS connection and corrected press to test g suit button.

4 Front Instrument panel - added detail to the UFC.

5 Side panels - added canopy craank handle, NVIS lighting, minor details and a map case.

6 Cockpit aft deck - improved deck to show off your new hell hole with minor and corrected details.

7a LH Ver Stab with current antenea and stiffner, larger bolts and drain holes, improved the lower panel strip where it meets the airframe on the outer surface.

7b RH Ver Stab with current antenea and stiffner, larger bolts and drain holes, improved the lower panel strip where it meets the airframe on the outer surface.

7a/b will accomadate the original rudder.

I will start accepting orders if your interested at $25.00 USD. NOT including shipping.

I only take etransfers from the US and Canada - details will given out when you email me.

Since this is my first time doing this, have some patience and I will get some sets to you as soon as my inventory is built up. I really have no idea how many I will need. So having said that, I will take PRE-ORDERS orders and I will start planning this out soonest.

Cheers

Place the strips on the glueing surface. I know my build guide says .005", but oddly enought I needed to place two of these strips to get a better fit. 4mm x 17 mm. They are too long but you will want this.

IMG_20181227_133055.jpg

Edited by AlienFrogModeller

The longer strips at 17mm will allow for excess removal and create a nice smooth sanded finish, no filler. Also when glueing into place, push forward a little bit to make the boundry layer seperator gap and intake structure mate with no gap. This will be easier to fix where the intake structure mates with the fuselage.

Intake_II.jpg

Sorry forgot a step, before you glue the intake structure and boundry layer seperator onto the airframe, note the "step" from the heat exchanger when in place. Sand this down a touch and it will be good. Note the other raised panels. Sand them down slightly and carefully.

Intake.jpg

1 hour ago, Ollie T-Y said:

Very interesting stuff. The intakes are the only thing I didn't particularly like about this kit. I might have another go and try this.

Careful, I have the flu and feel asleep after I placed the intake in. I have to man handle the assembly in. I'll post pictures later... Back to my nap.

The right intake experiment was a bust. DO not glue the two pieces together. I had to really flex the fuselage and then it didnt align very well. 

IMG-20181228-103542.jpg

I would suggest the earlier version I did when I placed the 4mm x17mm x .005" strips in place, glue the intake inplace then work back wards from there. Do not glue the backside of the intake at this point. let the glue set when you glued the intake to the strips first. Then you manipulate the fuselage much easier to get a good fit.

IMG_20181228_103546.jpg

I'm think of making a resin intake to eliminate all these issues. I will see if my resin mentor can guide me through this! SO I will continue for the next two aircraft and save my fourth for the resin test bed ATM. MTF.

Disregard last, as I was installing the intake, I figured out for the amount of work involved in making the master then casting could not be justified. The corrections required to get the intakes to fit requires some work, but nothing to extensive.

I'll post of my work once the last intake is dried and sanded down to show you my results.

So I installed the imtakes and tubes. I found the right side to be the problem child. I had to really mess with the installation of the tube. I believe the issue is at the front where the tube meets the intake structure; this could havebeen cause by user error as well. There is no gap at the top and cause alignment problems. I had to use many different types of dental tools to scrap away the plastic. 

RH-Intake-fit.jpg

• AlienFrogModeller changed the title to Kinetic CF188 1/48 Production Line x4 Completed