New eBay strategy by a buyer?

Has anyone seen this strategy? I had an eBay member contact me saying he wanted to decals from me bad but wanted to know if I could ship to him by a certain date, which I can, as he is buying these decals for a friend in another country that he is travelling to.

Both of the sheets had a lot of attention, one in particular had an exceptional high number of views and questions. In the last two minutes the sheet went from $30.00 to $65.00. I thought wow, is that ever good.

Soon after the auction the buyer emailed me to ask if I could adjust the amount down to $25.00. He says he accidentally bid from his uncles account, his laptop was in for repairs. He logged in as himself on his uncles PC but it reverted back to his uncles login. Both have the same last name, I can see it in the uncles eBay log ID. The account has been around for many years but only has 9 feedback. Which also makes me suspicious.

He had placed a max bid of $65 on his account, he also placed a max bid of $65 on his uncles account. He said he was confused he couldn't see his bids so he placed another $65 bid. I asked him why he placed a second $65 bid and it took him awhile to reply, several hours. Prior to that he was firing messages at me. 

At first I thought it was legit, but now I think that bid will scare away any snipers or last minute bids and counter bids. He appears to know eBay can edit the amount sent to the seller. I can't edit myself. I tried.

The sheet is an OOP Afterburner sheet that does fetch a pretty penny occasionally.  

Thoughts?

I don't know too much about how eBay works for sellers, but perhaps you should contact the "powers that be" in eBay and share with them what you have shared with ARC. It does seem that something is a little smelly with the bidder. Maybe eBay can help you.

Edited by Dennis in Houston
9 minutes ago, Dennis in Houston said:

I don't know too much about how eBay works for sellers, but perhaps you should contact the "powers that be" in eBay and share with them what you have shared with ARC. It does seem that something is a little smelly with the bidder. Maybe eBay can help you.

Yeah, that’s kind of the direction I am going. I don’t mind just re-listing.

Ironcially the guy is from Houston (I know it isn’t you based on your reply). :)

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

Yeah, that’s kind of the direction I am going. I don’t mind just re-listing.

Ironcially the guy is from Houston (I know it isn’t you based on your reply). :)

Houston is a very big place. I moved away from there in 2011.  No telling who you are dealing with. Sounds like he is young, but maybe he's an underachiever who never left the nest. He's definitely trying to weasel out of HIS bid.

If the Ebay auction is currently active, the bidder can cancel their bid through Ebay due to error, and you can also cancel their bid if you so desire. If it's already closed/ended both you and the bidder have the option of cancelling the entire transaction and then you can relist. This stuff happens to me all the time, I get someone claiming they made a "mistake" and if both parties agree to it there is no problem cancelling the transaction. 

1 hour ago, Dennis in Houston said:

Houston is a very big place. I moved away from there in 2011.  No telling who you are dealing with. Sounds like he is young, but maybe he's an underachiever who never left the nest. He's definitely trying to weasel out of HIS bid.

I know, I have been to Houston. :)

Sure, stick it to him for taking part in the bidding wars. He may be a very impulsive bidder but that`s not your problem. This guy is just pulling your strings thinking he can outsmart you.

Whenever you have a prospecting bidder coming up with a dramatic story with so many twists and turns you just have to question the legitimacy of that person. Hope it works out for you and that he`s not trying to scam you for your $.  

4 minutes ago, breadneck said:

Sure, stick it to him for taking part in the bidding wars. He may be a very impulsive bidder but that`s not your problem. This guy is just pulling your strings thinking he can outsmart you.

Whenever you have a prospecting bidder coming up with a dramatic story with so many twists and turns you just have to question the legitimacy of that person. Hope it works out for you and that he`s not trying to scam you for your $.  

He is now telling me I can offer a second chance offer to the next highest bidder (which was his uncle). He knows the system. I would have never thought of this. Sadly by putting this info on this thread others may learn from it. 

I always wondered how that worked, but i did assume if the highest bidder backed away for some reason the runner up would have to pay almost the same amount and certainly not obtain the listing a lot cheaper which would seem to encourage this type of mischievous behaviour. But then again the final decision rests on you, and if you decide to dump him go right ahead. I know i would never honour a bidder had i been aware of any foul play. What are your thoughts on receiving a potential negative feedback, you worry about this ? 

21 minutes ago, Scooby said:

He is now telling me I can offer a second chance offer to the next highest bidder (which was his uncle). He knows the system. I would have never thought of this. Sadly by putting this info on this thread others may learn from it. 

He is incorrect. A second chance offer does not invalidate his bid that won. Until the buyer pays whatever they bid, or you both mutually agree to cancel the transaction, the buyer is on the hook to pay whatever he bid. Now, to be honest, a non-paying bidder "strike" means nothing in the Ebay world, so there is no downside for him not to pay. And remember you are on the hook to pay all the Ebay fee's on his winning bid unless the transaction is mutually cancelled or you file a non-payment dispute if he doesn't pay. 

1 hour ago, FluffyK said:

Let's hope he doesn't try the old "I didn't get what I paid for" or "the item was damaged!" routine.  Cover yourself, this guy has form as a finagler.

Oddly he already left me feedback.

I am totally shipping with tracking. Not risking anything.

seems like a neverending story on ebay.

That next highers bidders personnaly feels like a scam. When a subject ends, only a few minutes after that you get a notification that the winner doesn't want the kit and you can have it for you last bid. To me it's rubbish, I only offer to pay my last bid before the so called "winner aka friend or seller" started raising the price.

18 hours ago, Scooby said:

I contacted eBay. They said they cannot adjust an invoice once it is sent and that they can't cancel bids.

They said the buyer is obligated to pay what he bid under his own account.

That's it.  eBay rules state it plainly. They used to cancel bids if the auction had not ended.  But if the auction has ended, then the buyer is obligated.  Invoice the buyer, if he does not pay, then eBay will allow you to do a second chance offer to the next higher bidder ($64?), so you are only out $1.  You can also block the buyer from any future auctions you list.   

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

That's it.  eBay rules state it plainly. They used to cancel bids if the auction had not ended.  But if the auction has ended, then the buyer is obligated.  Invoice the buyer, if he does not pay, then eBay will allow you to do a second chance offer to the next higher bidder ($64?), so you are only out $1.  You can also block the buyer from any future auctions you list.   

I was thinking along the same lines but thought it would be at the second bidders max bid.

Have him cancel his bid and send the second chance offer.

Edited by Spectre711
11 hours ago, Silenoz said:

seems like a neverending story on ebay.

That next highers bidders personnaly feels like a scam. When a subject ends, only a few minutes after that you get a notification that the winner doesn't want the kit and you can have it for you last bid. To me it's rubbish, I only offer to pay my last bid before the so called "winner aka friend or seller" started raising the price.

I’ve used it half a dozen times when I have had multple items of the same product. So not everyone is dishonest. I usually buy multiples of every product I buy, at times I really don’t want to sell the duplicate but when I see what I get for the duplicate item I can’t resist.

I sent an offer last night for a duplicate limited run decal sheet I sold Sunday but the buyer didn’t accept. First time a buyer hasn’t accepted.