alright guys, I'm an engineer at Sikorsky and wanted a few accurate models for my desk....more specifically, a UH-60 and a CH-53E because those are the two aircraft I've spent most of my career on (really the UH-60M and CH-53K but I'm looking for closest variants).  The selection of pre-built models is pretty crappy (wood, plastic, etc) and so is the accuracy so I decided to build some. 

So I wanted to build an H-60 and a 53e.  I picked up a 1/72 italeri UH-60 Night Raid at my local hobby store and that was the first adventure.  I then took to these forums to find a 1/72 Italeri CH-53E Super Stallion Kit, 1/72 Italeri CH-53J Pave Low kit, and a 1/48 Academy CH-53E kit (thanks guys!!!).  My overall plan was this.... use the Black Hawk as the first model/guinea pig, then complete the other two 1/72 53 kits.  I thought it would be really cool to have these in the same scale for my desk at work.  From there, I would finally build the 1/48 CH-53EAcademy kit when I've had the most experience; I will also likely then pickup a 1/48 H-60 sea hawk kit to accompany the 53E in my home office.  

A couple of disclaimers before I get into this... I hadn't built a model since I was a kid so this was a learning experience. As of now, I'm not too worried with aging or weathering the paint.  This is due to two main reasons... I deal spanky new aircraft as they leave our factory so it's more applicable to me and secondly it's just easier.  As I said, these are my first serious models so maybe I'll try that on one of them eventually.  Finally, all of the 1/72 kits will be painted with brushes and I will probably invest in an airbrush setup for the 1/48 kits. 

I'm mostly done with the 1/72 UH-60 now besides finishing the blades and some other paint touchup.  I didn't take a ton of pictures but will on the next model.  Seeing how this was the first, it was a huge learning experience for me and the second model is already coming along much faster, easier, and cleaner.  I made some basic rookie mistakes on the Black Hawk such as glue on the clear plastic, some excess glue on seams, etc.

Interior done and airframe halves test-fitted...

3_zpsdbcnafmy.jpg

Rotor head and exhaust ducts painted...

2_zpsh1k4a7pu.jpg

Airframe joined and first coat of helo olive drab... to be followed by sanding and more paint...

4_zpsc2gd4tu8.jpg

Here she is mostly done besides some paint touch up and remaining decals, the chin windows also need to be re-cleared after sanding glue off (waiting for future to arrive)...

1_zps1i0h61bd.jpg

Now time to do the big brother...

5_zpslsysknnm.jpg

Edited by seanm135

Looking good so far! I am a big fan of the 53, and 60, and have built a couple Acad 53Es and various 1/48 H-60s, it must be cool working on the real deal. The 53K looks like a real beast, I am hoping to see one before too long.

mason

Edited by doupnik
13 hours ago, doupnik said:

Looking good so far! I am a big fan of the 53, and 60, and have built a couple Acad 53Es and various 1/48 H-60s, it must be cool working on the real deal. The 53K looks like a real beast, I am hoping to see one before too long.

mason

Seeing the 53K in person is pretty impressive, it's an amazing machine.  Seeing the size difference between a 53 and an H-60 is also pretty crazy.

Anyway, onto the 53E build... this one is coming along better and easier than the hawk did thanks to some experience under my belt. 

Interior walls painted...

1_zpsfan0zh3y.jpg

Cockpit painted and assembled...

2_zpsklobyd25.jpg

3_zpsyq8jzye6.jpg

4_zpsqbui8ozg.jpg

When I received the kit one of the hinges on the rear ramp was broken so I had to improvise... I drilled a small hole and inserted a bent paper clip that was then glued in place

5_zps3lxtwqpl.jpg

6_zpsob3wmwbm.jpg

Airframe test-fitting....

7_zpsse1mk3vp.jpg

Fuselage halves joined and engines assembled...

8_zpshssiacyu.jpg

Engines... I actually had to remove the intakes because they were misaligned.  The engines were then fitted to the airframe before re-gluing the intakes/EAPS (as it should be done).  See last pictures.

9_zpsqblzdoqx.jpg

Airframe with engines and sponsons attached after first base coat of paint.... for the exterior I will be going with the Marine Warhorse version (grey with red tail).  As I previously said, you can see the engine nacelles were removed and have not yet been re-attached.  Black hawk included for size reference!!

11_zpselubxxk2.jpg

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, seanm135 said:

I hadn't built a model since I was a kid so this was a learning experience.

Could've fooled me, the -60 looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing, I'm excited to see the rest of your builds.

13 hours ago, K5054NZ said:

Could've fooled me, the -60 looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing, I'm excited to see the rest of your builds.

thanks!! Looking forward to finishing this 53E.  After that, I have one last 1/72 kit of a 53J Pave Low that I'm going to do blade fold on and then focus on the Academy 1/48 53E Super Stallion kit that Oliver (Rotorman) was kind enough to sell me!

alright, made some progress on the 53... masked the cockpit...

20180222_211829_zpsebyvpl6i.jpg

painted, assembled, and installed the landing gear...

20180222_211805_zpss0dis2vj.jpg

painted the leading edge of the tail blades then masked them off to do the rest of the blade flat black.  prepping main blades for painting... bent them a little for slight blade droop...

20180223_080025_zpswaon1qhf.jpg

cockpit, engine nacelles, and tanks installed... I have one section of gap on either side between the clear cockpit and the plastic fuselage... gonna have to fill it.  ANY SUGGESTIONS??

20180223_074715_zpsfqccqhzr.jpg

Black Hawk included for reference ;)

20180223_074829_zpsigphlzhj.jpg

first coat of black laid down on blades...

20180223_182209_zpscwk0wj5t.jpg

I also did the first coat of paint on the rotor head so one of the next steps will be rotor head assembly but I want to get the blades all done with paint and decals first.  From there, I just have to finish paint and install on tiny parts such as rescue hoist, lights, etc.  I also need to do a little filling between the plastic and clear cockpit... ACCEPTING SUGGESTIONS..

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:56 PM, hawkwrench said:

Try using white glue. After it's glued in,  before the glue is dried, wet a microbrush or q-tip in water and wipe away any excess. You could also use Perfect Putty. It's water soluble too.

Tim

thanks, will try this.  I still have the gap to fix but haven't had time to grab white glue or putty.  I was considering trying joint compound because I was doing drywall repair at home the other night haha

ended up drilling through the rotor head cap while opening up some holes.  Ended up filling that and the cockpit gaps with sheetrock compound because I didn't have any white glue or hobby putty.  I let it dry, did two coats, and sanded each time and it came out fine.  although I did sand a little much in the aft error erasing a spot of rivets.  lesson learned.  

heli%206_zpsespg8yq0.jpg

Next to the 53J pave low body... that will be the next build likely...

heli%204_zps5nqtohfd.jpg

and almost done...

heli%209_zpsd8tublw7.jpg

heli%2011_zpsjqswzove.jpg

heli%2012_zpsbikxgz70.jpg

heli%208_zpsp9pd0wru.jpg

3 hours ago, Wafu said:

Two nice additions to your desk at work.

thanks,  yeah I'm happy.  to be honest, I'm not too pleased with the larger black decals... i'm not sure I should've used the ones along the top and altogether they're very dark.  This is where having an airbrush to lighten them would come in handy. 

overall though, they'll be more than fine for my desk.