F/A kit advice needed

Save yourself the headache and just buy the Academy kit, which has had at least two boxings as a CF-18, one of which is generally available (Any A/B boxing of this kit will build into a CF-18) and is generally considered the best Legacy Hornet in 1/72

The Hasegawa is pretty good, but typically more money and you'll want special boxings for a CF-18, the Hobbyboss is good if simple and their A has a CF-18 option in the current boxing.

Nothing else is worth buying in 1/72.

1 hour ago, mawz said:

Save yourself the headache and just buy the Academy kit, which has had at least two boxings as a CF-18, one of which is generally available (Any A/B boxing of this kit will build into a CF-18) and is generally considered the best Legacy Hornet in 1/72

The Hasegawa is pretty good, but typically more money and you'll want special boxings for a CF-18, the Hobbyboss is good if simple and their A has a CF-18 option in the current boxing.

Nothing else is worth buying in 1/72.

Thanks, that what I suspected.

An opinion? It's junk

As mawz stated, the Academy kit is the best......Hasegawa is OK, but it needs a better cockpit, the Fujimi kit is also OK, but harder to find (some folks say that there seems to be a problem with the nose, but I don't see it). I can't really comment on the Hobbyboss kit except it's the easiest to construct out of these options.

I'd go with Academy as no. 1 with Hasegawa close second. Both kits have their pros and cons. Biggest cons for Academy would be the main landing gear shape and I suspect that nose landing gear is a bit too far forward. Hasegawa otoh doesn't have the best nose profile (blunt nose and nose to windscreen transition) and can be tricky in assembly. Nothing that a bit of work can't solve (and a replacement Academy windscreen).

For me Fujimi has too fat nose and lower front fuselage. Shame really cause it's the only one with full intakes.

I owned a Minicraft (or was it Hobbycraft?) Hornet and would rate it as worse than Italeri, which is generally bad (other than some very nice main landing gear).

While I concur that the 1/72 Academy kit is the best Hornet out there, don't write off the Hasegawa Hornet either. It can still be build to a very good model :

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/301336-mcdd-f-18c-hornet-hasegawa-172/

I quite like them because they are cheap and simple to build and often come with 1-2 pilot figures.