This is one of four of my current builds, it is Airfix's Hawk that I will be building as the RCAF camo build using Caracal decals. I am building this one with the wheels up so it has taken some time to get the gear doors fitting right, especially the main gears as the doors are molded open.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg.

005.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a bunch of pUtty and Sand on this and I am sure it will need loads more. The fit is horrible and trying to make it wheels up when the kit was never designed for it does not make it any easier.

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg

Sean

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PAINT!!!!!!

Got this painted. I painted the black when I did the Tornado, but do not have pictures of that right now, and I am currently masking for the speed brake area and will paint that when I paint the bays on the Tornado. 

really like the look of this, and I cannot wait to get it finished!

044.jpg

045.jpg

049.jpg

051.jpg

056.jpg

059.jpg

061.jpg

064.jpg

066.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sean

11 hours ago, DrGlueblob said:

What kind of display do you envision?

I'm currently on a in flight stand/hang from ceiling phase right now.

Chip

I plan on doing it on a stand. Trying to only hang from the ceiling for big kits and then as I run out of shelf space. Hard to see anything when it hangs. 

Sean

7 hours ago, DrGlueblob said:

I'm also looking into doing some "3D" stuff. By cutting the plane in 3/4the and having it "fly" into/out of a picture on the wall.

Interesting. Never thought of that. I have been thinking of moungting models like a plaque. Cut it down the middle, build it and mount it and then have it hanging on the wall.  If you cut it cleanly you get two builds out of every model. Double the cool

schemes. Wouldnt go too big, id like to do a bunch of rcaf p-51s and do them up with squadron crests. Think 3d profile prints

sean

• 2 weeks later...

I have been moving right along with this build. I currently have all the decals done, and i am working on the stand. Going to shoot a semi-gloss finish and then it is just the little fiddly bits before its done. Almost there!!

Here are the pics of the paint and the start of decals.

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

080.jpg

082.jpg

084.jpg

083.jpg

Sean

1 hour ago, ALF18 said:

Nice recovery from the horrible fit. Making a wheels-up version of a kit that is not well designed for it is sporting.

ALF

Thanks Alf. I tend to do wheelsup with the less detailed kits as it hides the fact that it had bad and/or no details to begin with. It just means it takea a bit more time to make it look good, just less than if I had tried to make the cockpit and landong gear accurate and detailed. Lesser of two evils!

and thanks everyone for the postive reinforcement. Almost done these kits, then there may be a bit of a break, as i am about to move the entire model from the spare bedroom upstairs, to the basement. Alao need to reorginise most ofnthe basement to male it work. Ill have before and after picturea of that soon. 

Sean