U.S. Army UH-1H/D 1960s/70s domestic ops

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone here might have some good photo reference of Army Hueys operated in the U.S. during the 1960s and '70s (single-engine, long-body; pre-WSPS, IPS, RWR, NVG etc.).

Anything along the lines of the following would be very much appreciated:

• National Guard (utility config. rather than medevac, some door text/artwork as in attached image preferable)
  • Hi-vis red/white scheme (as used in Alaska)
  • VIP (Continental Army Command, presidential support etc.)

Both exterior and cockpit/cabin shots would be great if possible (of the same aircraft - even better!); tail number and/or any operational info also v. helpful.

If any other examples come to mind that you feel define U.S. domestic ops of this period (as regards UH-1H/D), please share!

Have uploaded some low-res images as examples.

Cheers,

Robert

New_Jersey_National_Guard.jpg

Ft_Richardson_Sled.jpg

Continental_Army_Command_VIP.jpg

Continental_Army_Command_VIP_Interior.jp

Presidential_Support.jpg

US_Strike_Command_C_C-_VIP.jpg

US_Readiness_Command_C_C-_VIP.jpg

(regarding the last 2 images; as I understand it Strike Command became Readiness Command in 1972, is it likely that 12997, or a similar-looking/configured a/c, would have received the same paint scheme as in the bottom pic?)

Edited by RGS
20 minutes ago, RGS said:

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone here might have some good photo reference of Army Hueys operated in the U.S. during the 1960s and '70s (single-engine, long-body; pre- WSPS, IPS, RWR, NVG etc.).

Anything along the lines of the following would be very much appreciated:

• National Guard (utility config. rather than medevac, some door text/artwork as in attached image preferable)
  • Hi-vis red/white scheme (as used in Alaska)
  • VIP (Continental Army Command, presidential support etc.)

Both exterior and cockpit/cabin shots would be great if possible (of the same aircraft - even better!); tail number and/or any operational info also v. helpful.

If any other examples come to mind that you feel define U.S. domestic ops of this period (as regards UH-1H/D), please share!

Cheers,

Robert

New_Jersey_National_Guard.jpg

(would have uploaded more pics, but difficult with 0.1 MB limit)

Please use https://postimages.org/

easy and not a crap like photobucket

On 22/02/2018 at 10:17 AM, GeejeeZ said:

Sorry Robert, I have no pics for you, merely thanking you for your pictures.

I had never seen good images of a VIP- interior on Hueys, nice pics!

:cheers:

Gertjan

Yup, neither had I until recently. They are from the book "UH-1 Huey In Action" by David Doyle. The two VIP interior images (Continental Army Command) are listed as coming from the National Archives, but I've not been able to find high res versions (or otherwise) online, nor a tail number for that matter. She was based at Fort Monroe, Virginia and the photos were taken in 1971.

It's quite frustrating having bits and pieces, but not the whole picture, hence the purpose of this thread in trying to locate good images of both the exterior and interior (plus serial). Obviously that's not going too well so far though...

Another prime example is 69-15605 (United States European Command). Whilst there are plenty of high quality exterior images of this particular aircraft, I've failed to find any of the cabin area and/or cockpit.

330830.jpg

832632.jpg

There were a lot of white-tops in operation, but the Continental Army Command aircraft is the most luxurious I've come across to date. I wonder whether the UH-1D tasked with presidential support (image in OP) had a similar cabin, or possibly more like the one below:

VIP_02.jpg

Speaking of which, I'm quite surprised at the lack of VH-1N interior images, but I'll leave it there for now!

Right, back on the subject of National Guard birds of the '60s and '70s.

Since starting this topic I've located the following image on Facebook, which ties up with the NJANG aircraft pictured in the OP:

image.jpg

The caption reads: "UH-1H 66-16161 NJARNG with a very non standard take off and on side door sign - NJ sent this aircraft to the DEARNG."

I've also come across an IDARNG aircraft with similar text on the door, "IDAHO ARMY GUARD," but naturally no more images or info. Not sure as to the purpose of this removable door sign, or how non-standard it was. Am not dead set on this particular detail, was just looking for examples with something a little extra, at any rate, here are a couple more reference pics:

image.jpg

262366.jpg

I thought these aircraft were a pretty common sight in the U.S. and had hoped someone might have snapped a few photos, either at an airshow, or better still a of machine they worked with. Anyway - here's hoping!

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by RGS