Group Build Idea: TOPGUN 50th Anniversary (next year)

Apologies if this has been suggested already, but I didn't notice any other threads on the topic so I figured I'd throw one up here.

2019 will mark the 50th anniversary of United States Navy Fighter Weapons School. March 3rd, specifically.

That would seem like an appropriate reason to have a TOPGUN themed group build. It could be open to a pretty interesting range of fighters, as well as all the various adversary markings. Maybe even go with the option of operational jets flown by graduates of the school? I'm sure people much smarter than I could figure that kind of stuff out.

Plus, just think of all the extracurricular activities that could go along with the build:

- We could post locker-room selfies in our underwear 

- We could organize a topless beach volleyball tournament

- Everyone has to get a leather bomber jacket and mirrored Raybans!

And lastly...

giphy.gif

Certainly appropriate and worthy of the best we have to offer. Though my once-massive and insatiable adversary appetite is a past thing.... 

Two areas of question, firstly the criteria. Would it be ONLY NFWS-associated planes (too narrow IMO) or ALL Navy/USMC adversary types (too broad IMO)? Maybe NFWS/NSAWC-affiliated birds with an extension for Miramar-based bogeys (VF-126)? Or include the Big Four that sprouted up as a result (VF-126, 127, 43 & 45)? Personally I'd stick to Miramar but it's not up to me.

Second, I'll do y'all a favor and NOT post any pic of me in underwear nor play anything topless. Last time I was in Hawaii for the 75th anniversary of PH my dad wanted to go snorkeling; I told him no, I didn't want to be mistaken for the manatee exhibit. 

Ohhh. So tempting.... i am in. But if i may.... have it from sept 2018 to march 2019 so the models would be done by the anniversary. Just an idea.

Edited by adamitri
Add on
10 hours ago, adamitri said:

Ohhh. So tempting.... i am in. But if i may.... have it from sept 2018 to march 2019 so the models would be done by the anniversary. Just an idea.

I like this idea plus the GB would be during the winter months which would definitely assist me getting a few builds for it done!

22 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

Can I build a cargo plane full of rubber dog sh*t departing Hong Kong ?

But which cargo plane ? I pictured a C-119 back when the movie came out but now maybe a C-130.

2 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

I pictured a C-2 Greyhound myself :hmmm:

Hm, I've got the OzMods C-2 conversion for the Revell 1/144 E-2C. That would be a fabulous diorama!

Funny, I also thought about the Roden 1/144 C-119 in my stash, but the C-2 is a far better choice.

9 minutes ago, RCAFFAN said:

Since it is a Chinese company wouldn't it be some sort of old soviet transport, say an AN-22 since the Nato name for it is more in the nature of Tom Cruise......

I don't remember NATO using the word Anus or Cornhole to name a Soviet transport plane........although they did carry a lot of them........:thumbsup:

I suppose I meant more as a synonym for another word for "stick with a needle"......begins with "pr" and ends with "ick"

Edited by RCAFFAN
1 hour ago, RCAFFAN said:

I suppose I meant more as a synonym for another word for "stick with a needle"......begins with "pr" and ends with "ick"

You mean.....

10494634_10152767709246741_2213861239989819528_n.jpg

You do realize that I was joking, right.........

Edited by Johnopfor
2 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

Since it is a Chinese company wouldn't it be some sort of old soviet transport, say an AN-22 since the Nato name for it is more in the nature of Tom Cruise......

Ahhhh???? Why would Mav be flying for a Chinese company?

I figured the CAG was threatening a posting to a USN transport squadron????

2 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Ahhhh???? Why would Mav be flying for a Chinese company?

I figured the CAG was threatening a posting to a USN transport squadron????

You clearly didn't read the Top Gun 2 scenario posted above where he is flying for a Chinese toy company carrying  loads of gag fake dog sh*t out of Hong Kong......

Edited by RCAFFAN
3 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

You do realize that I was joking, right.........

You thought I was serious ?

That's a nice looking rooster eh!

Edited by RCAFFAN

There are two potential scenarios. Based on the movie, "But you remember one thing: if you screw up just this [pinches fingers for emphasis] much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog [poop] out of Hong Kong!",  a C-2 could fit. If you went with the duffleblog piece, "who has found work as a cargo pilot for a Chinese toy manufacturer that specializes in novelty poop", the aircraft really should be some old Soviet transport. While the An-22 has a good inside joke, 80 tonnes would probably represent a decade's worth of production. :woot.gif: Perhaps an An-2?