Hobby shops in Honolulu?

Hi guys,

I'm off for a long awaited trip to Honolulu in early March.

Are there any good model stores worth seeing? Alongside that, any suggestions on sight seeing/things to do would be great. I've already reserved my Pearl Harbour pass.

Thanks!

Dave

Diamond Head is a neat hike. Check out the Royal Hawaiian hotel and grab an over priced mai tai. If you have a car, hit the north shore and see the sacred surfing spots The Beach Boys dang about. Leonard’s for a malasada (Hawaii pastry)

Oh and Hilo Hattie’s and there is a market place downtown somewhere (it’s been a decade since I last was there) that has tons of shops. Ultimately, your best friend there is a cold beer across from Waikiki beach. Expensive drinks yes, but the people watching is pretty awesome.

Hello

We loved Honolulu

Pacific air museum is great for being very interactive. The Missouri was a lot of fun too(So was the Bowfin, if your small!!!) There was an aquarium to north of the Island, but I cannot remember it's name, it was fun for something different, then military or vehicle related. We didn't have any bad experiences, even the homeless where nice. Take time to enjoy it. As for hobby shops, I did not find any, but I had a lack of knowledge being both the first time there & the first time overseas. However Pearl Harbour display gift shop has some models for sale, mostly related to Pearl Harbour & WW2, but you never know your luck, it has been 5 or 6 years since we have been, mores the pity!!!

Would go again in a heartbeat

Ash 

16 hours ago, ash74 said:

Hello

We loved Honolulu

Pacific air museum is great for being very interactive. The Missouri was a lot of fun too(So was the Bowfin, if your small!!!) There was an aquarium to north of the Island, but I cannot remember it's name, it was fun for something different, then military or vehicle related. We didn't have any bad experiences, even the homeless where nice. Take time to enjoy it. As for hobby shops, I did not find any, but I had a lack of knowledge being both the first time there & the first time overseas. However Pearl Harbour display gift shop has some models for sale, mostly related to Pearl Harbour & WW2, but you never know your luck, it has been 5 or 6 years since we have been, mores the pity!!!

Would go again in a heartbeat

Ash 

Don’t miss these two locations. A lot of people go to Pearl  Harbor and don’t visit Ford Island or the Missouri. My uncle had a hand in getting the Missouri to Pearl Harbor. Pacific Aviation Museum is my fave. Say hello to Buzz Burlington. He is the top dog there and also an active Hyperscale member.

Fort Derussy is on Waikiki Beach. Worth a visit too, a lot of small artifacts are displayed from the attack. As a side note, my uncle is the young blonde haired Lt. in a lot of the Vietnam War pictures. He was the Curator of this museum. There are also a small quantity of models there.

Punch Bowl is another often missed visit. My uncle is buried there.

There was a well stocked hobby shop near Pearl. I always forget the name, but it was expensive.

Sea Life Park is the aquarium, well worth the visit.

Thanks folks.

I'll be doing the Missouri, Bowfin and the Aviation Museum. The pass i've pre-booked covers all that and the Arizona Memorial.

I'll maybe leave the Hobby stores until I go to Asia later in the year!

Dave, I think everyone else had covered the highlights.

You will find a few kits in the Museum gift shops, mainly Revell and those that related the theme of the museum.

If you picked the Pearl Harbour and City Highlights tour, you will be up early and have a busy day.

Last time I went (this time last year) I caught a shuttle bus from my hotel and bought passes to the attractions I wanted to see at the Visitors centre. I was there about 4 hours in total.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:44 PM, Dave1089 said:

I've got the 'Passport to Pearl Harbour' (I think!) which covers all the attractions associated with it.

like yourself, I think there's a shuttle that runs between my hotel and Pearl.

the city bus runs to Pearl as well from Waikiki, #42,  I believe.

Tony

On 2/24/2018 at 8:11 AM, Scooby said:

Pacific Aviation Museum is my fave. Say hello to Buzz Burlington. He is the top dog there and also an active Hyperscale member.

Hey Scooby you wouldn't by chance mean Burl Burlingame. He is the Historian at the Pacific Air Museum and an active modeler. He also spends time on Hyperscale.

Ciao!!

Henry Blecha

Edited by hblecha
correct
19 hours ago, hblecha said:

Hey Scooby you wouldn't by chance mean Burl Burlingame. He is the Historian at the Pacific Air Museum and an active modeler. He also spends time on Hyperscale.

Ciao!!

Henry Blecha

Yes, my mistake. Thanks