AK Gauzy agents question

Couple of quick question . Has anyone here tried AK's Gauzy agent ?

How does it compare to compare to future ?

I'm looking for something better than what I have been using for years .

Regards, Christian

I'll try the X-22 next but still curious about the Gauzy  just for the sake of knowing .

I guess the 50/50 X-22 mixture is for airbrush use instead of dipping .

Can't figure out what the cause of my problem is with the Futured canopy . I only use Tamiya tape witch I burnish but I often get some pebbly looking surfaces when the mask comes off .

Cheers, Christian  

Edited by Chris L

Did the tape get wet at all?  If it did (like when you cleaned off the model before priming for example) the wet tape will react with Future.  I stopped using future on my canopies about 12 models ago.  Now I just use micromesh followed up with Novus fine scratch remover (using a Dremmel polishing tool).  Gets my canopies crystal clear without having to worry about Future or whatever getting scratched or messed up.

Edited by Fly-n-hi

It's a possibility , but I usually blow everything dry immediately  after the shower .  Next comes a sprayed on coat of Future to seal off the mask .

Working in 1/72  means working with a lot of small pieces of tape that can be moved about even after burnishing . Maybe I should reverse those steps  ?

I use to polish canopies but again, in this small size , it's nearly impossible to do with green houses and I have even crazed some in the past just from polishing by hand . 

Thanks for the ideas .  Something is causing this  and it has not always been this way.

All thoughts are welcome.   Cheers, Christian 

I've used Gauzy and I have to say I don't like it.  It's not better than future.  In fact, I think future leaves the clear parts more transparent than this stuff.  It's also harder to get it leveled.  You have to dip very slowly so bubbles don't form.  And for what you get in that small Gauzy container, better to use Future since you get a lot more.

One more thing...with Future, if you screw up, some Windex removes the whole thing.  With Gauzy, it takes a lot longer to remove.  I've left one part over night and it still had a thick coating of it.  It looked like it never really came all off actually as a few areas were cloudy. 

You're absolutely right about the Future .  However  , cleaning a small transparency and touching it up is tricky at best .

The Gauzy demo was not very convincing either .

So far my thoughts are to watch/ modify my steps and check if the clear Tamiya might get me past my issues.

The Future has worked great for everything else .

Cheers, Christian

On 2/25/2018 at 6:10 PM, galileo1 said:

I've used Gauzy and I have to say I don't like it.  It's not better than future.  In fact, I think future leaves the clear parts more transparent than this stuff.  It's also harder to get it leveled.  You have to dip very slowly so bubbles don't form.  And for what you get in that small Gauzy container, better to use Future since you get a lot more.

One more thing...with Future, if you screw up, some Windex removes the whole thing.  With Gauzy, it takes a lot longer to remove.  I've left one part over night and it still had a thick coating of it.  It looked like it never really came all off actually as a few areas were cloudy. 

x 2, same review as above.  Disappointed in this agent.

Collin

On 2/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, Chris L said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences .  Some of those AK. products ( maybe all )   generally need some more knowledge .

Cheers, Christian

More knowledge as in how?  There's not much to know really...You open the jar, wait for the bubbles to dissipate and then dip the clear part in slowly - making sure no bubbles form on the part as you take it out.  Put on some kitchen towel and let excess flow away.  Repeat steps if necessary... but, unlike with Future where you can just clean the part with some Windex and wipe it off clean, this stuff is sticky as heck and may not want to come all off.  It left my piece cloudy.  Had to use Gunze's Leveling thinner to get to look passable again.

It simply isn't a good product.

What I am trying to convey here is that there may be a way ( not explained  ) to get better results with the Gauzy agent . Somebody out there thinks it's good stuff , otherwise they would not be trying to sell it.

Other products like Tamiya  and Gunze  paints have taken me  a good deal of time to learn to airbrush a descent paint job with .  It has not been by mixing it with water or alcohol as it was original implied .

Using Future has also required required a lot of adjusting the mixture to get better than passable results with it . 

On the other hand dipping canopies in Future and letting it dry on paper towel requires no extra knowledge  which makes it both easy and great . Now if I can get past my issue....

Cheers, Christian