Academy Su-27 1:48 inflight

Krustovsky

1st 1/48 scale jet, and a rather tough kit, yet you've done an outstanding job in construction. Painting looks like you've been at it for years. Excellent effort on the twin engine exhausts and area. Looks darn close to the picture you're replicating. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I was observing you guys closely, so I could adapt your techniques quite quickly;)

The Kit I choose is simply crap. But I like russian aircraft.

Here is my last progress. Even simple parts like this vertical stabilizer has to shimmed, nearly completely reengraved and every rivet has to be redrilled by 0.3mm drill... Exhausting! But in fact I am slowly closer to the painting stage, which is what I really like.

40541110531_89356eb2b6_c.jpg

Edited by krustovsky
9 minutes ago, FalconFan24 said:

Krustovsky

Beautiful build! Please, please, please...share how you got the canopy so clear and shiney?

It is polished by dremel, using a cotton polishing wheel and/or a cotton swap (cut into half and plugged into the dremel) and Tamiya polishing compound (first fine, then finish).

I don't like futured canopies;) If something goes wrong (and that happens often to me), you have a problem with a future canopy. With the polished one you can mask the frame and polish it again. 

You can even polish out the Tamiya clear (which I used to tint the windscreen from the inside) to correct small imperfections caused by dust. 

The most important thing about polishing with a motortool like the dremel is to choose a really slow speed to not overheat the clear part/color.  Try it first on a crap canopy! Or learn it the hard way - like me... :(

For years I keep on promising myself to get a polishing wheel for my Dremel. Just never remember to buy one when at the hardware store.  For polishing I've had excellent results using Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 scratch remover applied with a piece of soft cotton cloth. Now I guess that Micro Fiber is the cloth of choice. 

Joel

On 2/28/2018 at 4:45 AM, krustovsky said:

As I told, restarted with some 1:32 projects about 3 years ago, but all of them are gone to the shelf of doom due to different reasons - honestly I think none of them will ever be resurrected. 1:48 is more forgiving and build time seems to be shorter (Shorter?! The progress you can see above took me around 6 month... Time is a real problem!).

I tried some figure painting to develop skills that are enough for pilot figures/diorama. Maybe sometimes I will become a better figure painter and skills will be probably sufficient enough for standalone figures/busts. In my opinion that can be true art.

Thanks to all for your motivating feedback!

Beautiful job on the terrible Academy Su-27 Krusty. I find it interesting the that AIres parts do not fit well on the Academy kit just like the 1/32 Trumpy kit. Very frustrating and forced my Flanker to the shelf of doom for 9 years! Finally finished it this week.

Anyhow, great job!

• 4 weeks later...

There is simply a lack of hobbytime:( But here is a little progress in painting

26198027167_d060b60e9c_c.jpg

41026597802_a61e812153_c.jpg41026600072_d0616e651b_c.jpg

Maskolchipping

41069034131_ebee4b94a0_c.jpg

toned down chips, nosecone ready for masking

40360119454_6833911717_c.jpg

The eduard pylons are already finished (pics will follow), also are all pitottubes and IRST.

So next is preshading the airframe and preparing the Base

Unfortunately I did not find the time to start with the preshading process:( Finally I hope to start the upcoming week...

But anyway here is a pic of the finished pylons. Maybe I will add some weathering after mounting them on the airframe. The plane will be displayed witout any loadout, so the really good eduard pylons had to be used. It is unbelievable how many stencil-decals can fit on one pylon;)

39352597980_3923ca7b21_b.jpg

Edited by krustovsky

Thank you!

First polished in- and outside as described. Then airbrushed from the inside (!) with a mix of Tamiya clear yellow and smoke. Finally I polished it again - very, very carefully, not to polish through the thin coat of clear color;) The advantage is that the outside of the canopy can always receive a repolishing, if necessary.

Thanks for looking in and all the motivating encouragement.

• 2 months later...

I'm not a huge fan of pre-shading these days, but with the inclusion of the Black Basing, the color coat should really have a  excellent operational look to it. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
  • 2 weeks later...