Academy Su-27 1:48 inflight

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tomdelis said:

really nice result with the fading effect and weathering. was that done all with airbrush?

Only airbrush so far. The following weathering steps will include further airbrush effects and a lot of oil/brush work.

Edited by krustovsky

Sorry for the crappy lighting, but these are only iPhone fotos...

Basic paintwork done and all major components are ready for glosscote. Decals and several weathering stages will follow.

43192687021_5850c14f96_b.jpg

43192685161_ca63f89935_b.jpg

41382307190_5e9911750c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Comments are always welcome.

Incredible airbrush work there! I know you said you'll do many more layers with oils etc., but it looks to me the panel lines might be a little too pronounced. I thought it would look more realistic if the contrast was lessened. Look forward to the next steps. 

29 minutes ago, Janissary said:

Incredible airbrush work there! I know you said you'll do many more layers with oils etc., but it looks to me the panel lines might be a little too pronounced. I thought it would look more realistic if the contrast was lessened. Look forward to the next steps. 

Looking at the fotos, I think you are right. But in real they seem to look not that pronounced. And I finished the basic paintwork just today. Sometimes it's better to step back, make a break and come back with another - more neutral - point of view.

For example the pic of the vertical stabilizer looks just right to me. I have to think about it;)

On the other hand, I think it will be much more simple to tone the preshading down, then to bring it back. And finally another point I learned from my test samples, is that the matt cote kills a lot of contrast. 

Edited by krustovsky

great work and amazing airbrush handling

I would agree with Janissary that the pre-shading looks a bit to strong....but I believe it will tone down with the oils and weathering

looking forward seen the rest of the build

I'm pretty sure that with your further weathering with oils, the panel lines will loose a good deal of their identical starkness. Still it's an amazing build.

Joel

• 1 year later...

After a long hiatus this project is still going on. Here is some progress.

After the really time consuming process of decalling with all the stencils, I applied the next X-22 gloss coat. Then the panel lining followed along with some oil weathering. After all I was able to apply a flat coat on most parts with my new toy. Unfornately I underestimated the sheer amount of colour-flow through this beast, so I run out of XF-86. The top side of the fuselage will follow. Anyway, the finish is in sight;)

Already finished parts, ready for final installiation

48786310053_3d3928f16d_b.jpg

48786314168_bb09417f7d_b.jpg

48786312903_f2aa19d7c4_b.jpg

The new toy. Prefect for laying down clearcoats on larger areas:)

48786824122_11926fc491_b.jpg

The flat coated belly with some detail shots. The pylons are only temporalily attached

48786678941_95fdaab846_b.jpg

48786827017_4ba7bf96e9_b.jpg

48786312518_03c7d610fa_b.jpg

48786678136_28e150dd5b_b.jpg

48786678001_f88336e720_b.jpg

48786311428_b545af5b98_b.jpg

48786309763_7aeeb0f0e2_b.jpg

48786311028_de97e65a23_b.jpg

Everything with a lot of artistic touch. And don't forget, these are unedited iPhone fotos. But anyway it will be the first (hopefully) finished model, so I am still searching my personal style of modelling;)

Thanks for your interest. Comments and critics are always welcome.

With regards

Edited by krustovsky

Fortunately most figures are resin and you can peel off your paintwork as often as you want;) And my skills are far away from being professional. One Example? What you see is the result of two kits. I detroyed the first canopy by overheating it during the polishing process. I spilled laquer thinner over the left horizontal stabilizer 4 weeks ago, destroying the paintwork and melting the plastic. What a mess, resulting in one week of filling, sanding, reengraving, priming and painting...

And what scares me most is removing the masking tape. It was placed over a year ago. So wish me luck;)

Thanks for your comments

Edited by krustovsky

Very, very Nice job! Like the weathering and the engine details, the oil stains are also very nice.

was the front part of the cockpit glass already coming in that yellow gold colour or did you do it yourself?

i'm looking to find the best way to do that with acrylic paint on a EA-6B Prowler, see my In Progress post.

1 hour ago, BastianD said:

Very, very Nice job! Like the weathering and the engine details, the oil stains are also very nice.

was the front part of the cockpit glass already coming in that yellow gold colour or did you do it yourself?

i'm looking to find the best way to do that with acrylic paint on a EA-6B Prowler, see my In Progress post.

Thanks. The canopy was painted and polished afterwards from the inside. It’s a mix of Tamiya clear smoke and clear yellow.

A small teaser;)

48836551338_8c75c72aba_b.jpg

Fortunately -after over twelve months- the masking could be removed without problems:) I am really happy so far. Still a lot of stuff to do. Of course I broke off two of the very tiny master static dispensers while handling the model during installation of the pylons and stabilizers. So I have to correct this first. But I am making progress:)

As always comments and critics are appreciated.

Edited by krustovsky

Seems I finally reached the finishline. Unfortunately I have simply no fotography skills, so here are some unedited iphone shots in bad lighting. And another challenge occured surprisingly. Where to store and show the model? At the moment I am investigating some glass showcase manufactures. One word: expensive;) We will see.

In the end I learned a lot during the build and I am happy with the result. Not a masterpiece, but how could it be otherwise. In spite of some style and execution errors, I think it is showable.

The seemless Intakes:)

48841667612_d97c90cc3c_b.jpg

48841495856_37de3646e7_b.jpg

48841498586_b856969e6a_b.jpg

48841498676_6391cf0bd9_b.jpg

And the next one is in planning:

F-18E low vis with double ugly loadout and of course in flight:) Did I mention that I hate wheelwells;)

Thanks for your interest. Comments and critics are appreciated

Edited by krustovsky