1/32 & 1/35 Bell 412 conversions

Hi chaps

Thought you all might like to know about this chap on Shapeways called 3D Boats has done a 1/35th 412 conversion for the horrible Panda (etc) 212  kits.

A chap on Britmodeller built one and really liked it, however some mods needed doing and he has now made the changes and relisted it again.  I asked it it could be re-sized for my planned conversion using the old Revell 32nd Huey which he has done....see here

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WG3AW9FEP/bell-412-conversion-kit-1-32?optionId=64771109&li=marketplace

As discussed earlier, there are some upturned exhausts which I ordered (and look stunning) but I see from feedback here I will need to be very careful when razor sawing then off, however he said the wall thickness on the 32nd ones were better.  He is doing a couple of other bits for the kit which I hope to get upscaled to 32nd, like a new nose.front end.  His initial CAD looked awesome.

Anyway, this is an FYI for those that didnt know and I hope it is useful for some of you.  I know it is going to go a long way to helping me convert my old Revell Huey.

Cheers

Anthony

Yes I know....I ordered it and then by the time postage to NZ was added and then the currency conversion........eeek

I know my wife hasnt checked the bank balance yet because I would have had a ph call by now.  I guess I will have to sweat it out until she finds out....probably tonight:rolleyes:

Edited by Anthony in NZ

LOL, right you are Tim.......still no word.  I am almost going to confess to put me out of the anxiety of it coming LOL!!

Right you are Oliver, but you cant take it with you......

I will report back when I get it if you like?

Cheers

Anthony

While I understand the sticker shock, I think a lot is out of the author's hands as shapeways charges by length/width/material and amount. Four blades takes up some restate. His other prices seem more reasonable. At the end of the day one does not have many options for a 412 bird in a large scale. Hope it works out for you Anthony and let us know what you think when it's in hand. Was the repercussions worth it? 

Will reply back guys...Ummm, repercussions....What Hawkwrench(Tim) said LOL

One more question whilst on the subject.  Was the tailboom  (apart from the door) a different shape on the 212/412  than the -1D/H?  The lower profile looks different/ flatter

Cheers

Anthony 

So youre telling me they will release the nose section fully corrected? Not that would be so cool. Hope they could release the commercial interior configuration including the seats and roof section. I will have to save a couple of months some money to buy this, although is very expensive.

Rod.

The chap who did the upturned exhausts (Luca I think his name is) is working on the nose section.  He is just doing it in his spare time between his real job, family and being involved with historic aviation.

I dont know if he will do any other bits sorry, but how cool someone is taking the time to work on these items.

Cheers

Anthony

I truely enjoy scratch building, but 3D printing is amazing.  

With Shapeways, does anyone know if there is any kind of warrenty.  Ian mentioned in his post on Brimodeler that his headsets were delivered smashed and the rotorhead would not support the blades.  Seems like a lot of money to not have some kind of guarrentee the product will be functional.  

4 hours ago, Tgoetz said:

I truely enjoy scratch building, but 3D printing is amazing.  

With Shapeways, does anyone know if there is any kind of warrenty.  Ian mentioned in his post on Brimodeler that his headsets were delivered smashed and the rotorhead would not support the blades.  Seems like a lot of money to not have some kind of guarrentee the product will be functional.  

The David Clark headsets I ordered were snapped off from the ear parts to the head parts. This was down to Shapeways packing, the Rotorhead was really down to the scale, the detail in the Rotorhead was such that the material its produced in just couldn't support the main blades, it looked stunning but that's all. I defaulted back to the 3D boats head and after a small amount of work was happy with the effects, you'd have to work or fly 412's to know what is wrong, well I think anyway.

How I'd get some sort of redress from Shapeways I don't know, I was so intent in getting the model finished I focuses on learning from my experiences and moving on, very much 'you live, you learn' on my part. I know the 'go to' people now when I build another or a 212.

Hope this helps explain my build experiences?

You asked about the tailboom. 

The actual tailboom is the same for all 3. 205, 212 and 412, and you can get all with or without the tailboom cargo compartment.

The difference is in the very aft fuselage section where the Bell 205 has an oil cooler fan, and the 212/412 has that above the tailboom. The aft area on a 212/412 open up to inspect the tail boom atachment bolts, and Tail Rotor servo, as well as cabin heater. the 205 aft compartment opens up to allow inspection of the oil cooler fan, oil connections, cabin heater, T/R servo, and the aforementioned 4 bolts. 

This leads to a slight difference below the fuselage, where the 212/412 does not have the square block that is evident on the 205.

Don't know if that helps... I'd take some photos, but I left my job on the 212 a couple weeks ago to fly something smaller, faster, more modern and better equipped!

Winnie, you are a legend mate. Thank you.  I have the drawings from the Bell-Textron web brochure and noticed the flat section along the bottom fwd section and wondered if it was 212/412 specific.

Thanks for clearing that up

Cheers

Anthony

Wafu, you mentioned that first rotorhead could not support the blades and you had to default to the 3D Boats one.  I searched and could not find anything other that the 3D Boats version.  Do you recall who made the first one?  Curious if they redesigned it or if it can be printed in a material that would work better.  

I also found this https://www.shapeways.com/product/AJVAD5GUM/bell-212-umbauteile-1-35?optionId=64914520&li=marketplace Not sure if this is the chap that Anthony said was working on the corrected nose?  Half the price of the 3D Boats, but missing the rotorhead and blades.  I think those would be eaiser to scratch build than the cowling and nose.  

Todd