Website "russianplanes.net" permanently down

It seems one of the best photo resources for russophile plane enthusiast, russianplanes.net is permanently closed.

The reasons are still a bit sketchy but it seems this has to do with the alleged smuggling of drugs via diplomatic post from Argentina to Russia. Argentine gendarmerie released a tape which shows drug packages removed out of a Il-96 (RF-96023), belonging to the State Transport Company Rossiya.

Seems the owner of the site “…decided to delete the site, because we have nothing to do with it.”

More details see here: https://en.crimerussia.com/drugmafia/flights-registry-deleted-following-the-report-on-supply-of-drugs-from-argentina/

Anyway, that’s a big bow as russianplanes was “the” resource for pictures of russian aircraft for me.

Goodby RP, thanks for all the years of enjoyment! :crying:

Edited by Shorty84
Edit

Find a good site like the defunct F-4EJ.com,snatch some pictures,keep it bookmarked because you need to look at it and download more stuff,site dies.

Every single time.ffs I had to download any picture of Mig-29 9.15 and 9.18,a blasted load of Mig-21UM pics,choppers and so on,finding good stuff for little details and nothing else is becoming impossible due that stupid dmca and spotters only taking artistic pictures,can't even rely to museum stuff due armchair generals demilitarizing them to the ground or employees effin them up for the sake of it

Luigi

Unfortunately the Wayback machine approach doesn't work. As soon as you click on a thumbnail pic you get nothing, the original pic is lost.

Odd is the right word. It seems the problem originated as the media linked the registry of the aircraft with visits of the Russian Foreign and Prime Minister at that time (via RP.net). I can only imagine that the words "drugs", "smuggling" and "Prime Minister" in one article was too much and made some people nervous. Maybe the owner of the site saw that coming and decided to shut everything down before he got "visits" from certain people.

I remember that at the beginning of the Russian deployment to Syria you couldn't view images of the aircraft types which were in action at that time (Su-34, Su-30SM, Su-25, ...), I guess for "national security" reasons.

Edited by Shorty84
Edit

Owner delete all content after nex: few news agency use his site as source about information of position this Il-96 in one of days. 

As RP work at vikipedia-type style - anyone can add or correct photo and comments about date and place of photo - owner decided delete all content. 

And for aviation enthusiasts not so interestingly that the security service of Russian Foreign Afairs Ministry itself found this channel and handed over it to the Argentina police, that freight of cocaine was replaced with flour and it was delivery under control of intelligence agencies to arrest consignees. I'm like this site and use its for decal design. Good bye and farewell. RussianPlanes !

BTW its second time when news agency blocked RP - two years ago owner at this site were deleted all database about Su-24Ms and Su-34 - its used by idetification of aircraft and pilots, who took a part in operation in Syria. But now PR  not delete all infiormation about all Il-96s, but delete all content.

Edited by kotey

I'm very sad about what happened. It was one of the sites I went to every morning for my daily dose of cool aeroplane pictures. As I understand it, the issue that lead to its closure doesn't even have anything to do with the photo section of the site, but rather with the "aircraft spotting" function. I truly wish the owner could have thought of a way to disable that functionality but keep the photo section open. I'm really very disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if tomorrow goes offline I'm freaking seriously going to invade Russia to wave at Putin and see if he waves me back

edit

they don't freaking have Mig-29M 9.15 pcs

nor good ones for the Mig-21-93

Ok starting a patreon to fund za invasion

Luigi

Edited by Mizar