Airbrush Splattering Paint

Afternoon everyone! (Well, afternoon for me in NYC anyway). After a long hiatus I have returned to building and painting models. I have an airbrush kit with compressor but Ill admit when I got it I didn't go top of the line. The compressor though looks just fine... ie I don't THINK it is the weak point.

Anyway, I have noticed on lower pressure settings my airbrush tends to splatter paint and then spray a mist of it (I am trying for the latter). It will spray that fine mist for a few seconds then splatter again, then fine mist... etc etc. I am using acrylics Vallejo paints and no thinner.

My question is:

Do you guys think it is the airbrush (not brand name), the pump (seems to be a strong pump), or lack of thinner?

I can pump up the airpressure and this prevents the splattering but I would prefer lower pressures if I can. Maybe its my technique?

Anyway, my gut says its the airbrush itself. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

And, if it is decided to be the airbrush, is there a quality brush recommended that is less than $100? Thanks all.

- Jim

Edited by Jimd0586
Spelling mistake

I'd start by thinning the paInt. The paint should flow down the side of whatever cup you are using to mix it. Take a drop of thinned paint on your mixing stick and dab it on the side of the cup and watch what happens. I spray all kinds of properly thinned paint at about 15-20 psi.

Bob

Sounds like the paint mixture isn’t thin enough for the pressure, like Bob above I would thin it just like he says.  If you still get problems then dismantle the airbrush as far as you can and give it a good clean, could be dried paint in there restricting the air/paint flow.

2 hours ago, Jimd0586 said:

And, if it is decided to be the airbrush, is there a quality brush recommended that is less than $100?

If you prefer to spray at lower pressures, then a gravity fed airbrush is a must.  There are a couple of good ones that came to mind:

1.  Harder & Steenbeck Ultra

2.  Iwata Revolution BR

1. You need to provide more information.  What air pressure?  What airbrush?  What (specific) paint?

2. If it's Vallejo Model Air paint, you don't need thinner (though it will help, as will a retarder).  If it's Vallejo Model Color, you definitely need to thin it to airbrush.

3. Tip splatter can be caused by a few things:

- If your needle isn't seated properly, paint can flow out.  This is particularly true with gravity-feed brushes.  Loosen your needle retaining nut and gently twist the needle forward to make sure it's seated properly.

- If you're using a gravity feed brush, poor technique can cause problems as well - if you're cutting the air before fully cutting the paint (or starting the paint before starting the air), you can get a dribble leaking out which will splatter on your model.

- If your needle or nozzle are damaged, you can get a disturbed airflow leading to a paint buildup; when you start spraying again, the airflow blows this buildup onto your model's surface in a splatter.  To check for this, after you clean your brush, look at the nozzle while you slowly pull the trigger back and forth.  If the needle is off centre, this can cause problems.  You can also pull the needle and nozzle from the brush and closely examine them for damage - bending on the needle, cracking on the nozzle.

- If your paint is drying on the needle, it can also collect droplets of paint which will splatter on the surface when you start spraying again.  The test for this is just to examine the tip of your brush as you are painting - is there a buildup of dried paint, or is it clean?  Tip dry is common with acrylics, so it's a good idea to use a retarder or flow-enhancer.  While you're airbrushing, you can also swab down the nozzle occasionally with a paintbrush soaked in thinner - swish it around the nozzle, then spray straight air (no paint) to clear off any residue, then continue painting.  If you're using un-thinned acrylics, this is likely.

If all of the above is fine - everything is functioning properly and your technique is sound - then your paint is too thick for your air pressure, and you need to either thin your paint, or increase your air pressure.

Edited by MoFo
On 2/27/2018 at 2:48 PM, RichardL said:

If you prefer to spray at lower pressures, then a gravity fed airbrush is a must.  There are a couple of good ones that came to mind:

1.  Harder & Steenbeck Ultra

2.  Iwata Revolution BR

If you can afford it, splurge for the Iwata Eclipse. Much easier to maintain than the Revolution.

Vern

5 hours ago, admiralcag said:

If you can afford it, splurge for the Iwata Eclipse. Much easier to maintain than the Revolution.

Agreed.  The Eclipse HP-CS is my main workhorse, and its self-centering nozzle is relatively easy to remove and clean.  The nozzle on the Revolution is not self-centered and needs a tool to remove.