Proposal: TOPGUN Group Build for the 50th Anniversary

Would you be interested in a TOPGUN group build to lead up to the 50th anniversay?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a TOPGUN group build to lead up to the 50th anniversay?

• Yes. I feel the need. The need, for speed!
    • No. I'd rather fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog s**t out of Hong Kong!

To follow on with the discussion started in the other thread (HERE) this is the official poll to decide if the GB should go ahead.

(Maybe a moderator can combine the 2 threads for ease of keeping track?)

Name: TOPGUN 50th Anniversary

Dates: Sept 1, 2018 - March 3rd, 2019

Mods: Me, and hopefully someone else with more experience in doing this as I've never done it before

Description: Build any aircraft used in TOPGUN training at NAS Miramar or NAS Fallon, flown by students or instuctors.

18 hours ago, john53 said:

Yup.Have decals will build. Enough for either Iceman's, Cougar's, or Maverick's

other plane Bu 160694, did Bu 160665 already.---John

fXgzFa3.jpg

Don't have Mavericks there. His was "VF-1" Looked like a Hawkeye squadron logo. I built Maverick and Icemans a couple years ago.

Yup you're right, I have the numbers but not the squadron symbol which was actually bogus.

The movie used the symbol for a VAW-120 for Mavericks squadron, it is actually an E-2 early

warning unit. The only real fighter  units were The Fist of The Fleet and Black Lions. I can find

another Maverick emblem but I really think I'll go with Iceman's Fist of The Fleet emblem. My

sheet has 2 different Bu numbers for Mavericks planes.---John

2d2IxbI.png

Edited by john53

Cool---A quick question on 1/72 kits, thinking of Hasegawa F-14A but I can

also access a Revell F-14A. I know the Revell 1/72 F-14D had rear fuselage issues,

does the A kit have them also? Plenty of time to hunt down a kit. Thanks---John

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, john53 said:

Yup you're right, I have the numbers but not the squadron symbol which was actually bogus.

The movie used the symbol for a VAW-120 for Mavericks squadron, it is actually an E-2 early

warning unit. The only real fighter  units were The Fist of The Fleet and Black Lions. I can find

another Maverick emblem but I really think I'll go with Iceman's Fist of The Fleet emblem. My

sheet has 2 different Bu numbers for Mavericks planes.---John

2d2IxbI.png

Wasn't VA-25 an A-7 squadron when the movie was filmed?

VA-25 had A-7s till April 1983 and got their F/A-18s starting in May 1983. Top Gun

was released in 1986. HTH---John

BTW filming for "Great Balls Of Fire" song scene was in 1985, film was inspired by 1983

article in "California" magazine, VA now VFA-25 had F/A 18s by then.

Edited by john53
5 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Awesome idea! This will force me to drag my Classic Airframes TA-4J Adversary out of the stash!

I just bought 2 of these kits for 25.00 each last weekend.

Had a look in my stash: I think the Wingman models kit F-21A Kfir will fit that GB very well! Have to be careful to build an adversary and NO aggressor! ;-)

Yaaa...it's so gooood to be baaaad!

APPROVED>

NOW>>>> This time EVERYBODY who said yes.....FREAKING STEP UP AND BUILD SOMETHING!!!!!!!

The GBs around here of late are getting very few completed and not many more started builds. Its up to you all to make this GB process work. Yes, life gets in the way and all that. But take some time once in a while and build what you say you are going to build.

I’ll confess to being one of those folks who signed up for a couple of the previous GB and did not contribute a build. 

I WILL be participating in this GB though.  Adversary/Aggressor schemes are my favorite builds. 

I’ll be doing a F-16N in a desert scheme. 

Mike