Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
82Whitey51

1/48 Tamiya Deuce an' a Half Cargo & Fuel Truck Kit Bash??

Recommended Posts

I know it's not "armor" but I'm thinking you folks would know. I recently came across the two 1/48 trucks by Tamiya, the 2 1/2 Ton, and the Fuel truck. The 2 1/2 ton has a canvas cab roof, the fuel truck a solid roof cab. I'd like to make a solid cab roof 2 1/2 cargo truck (as seen in the photo) by kit bashing the two. I am planning on building a diorama like the photo below, "ENOLA GAY" post mission. Have any of you built either of these, and do they share the same chassis/frame? Also, what is the other vehicle with the canvas top? A standard Willey's jeep, or is that one of those later war Dodge Power Wagons (WC57)? Bet nobody does a kit of those in 1/48 scale :(

 

Enola_Gay_returning.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  it's only been a year since you posted...

 

YES, you can interchange the cabs of the Tamyia trucks.  I think the soft top cargo truck comes with the metal chassis that gives the model nice weight.  The fuel truck comes with a plastic frame (I think Tamyia wanted to save money), but all running gear and such fits both frames.

 

There have been at least two resin WC57 kits issued, but they are hard to find.  There is a readily available die-cast 1/43 scale WC57 available on e-bay.

 

WOW!  From the picture you're going to have to do a LOT of figures in khaki!  I'd suggest looking on Shapeways under 1/48 USN and find officers.

 

C2j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Cubs2jets said:

Well,  it's only been a year since you posted...

 

YES, you can interchange the cabs of the Tamyia trucks.  I think the soft top cargo truck comes with the metal chassis that gives the model nice weight.  The fuel truck comes with a plastic frame (I think Tamyia wanted to save money), but all running gear and such fits both frames.

 

There have been at least two resin WC57 kits issued, but they are hard to find.  There is a readily available die-cast 1/43 scale WC57 available on e-bay.

 

WOW!  From the picture you're going to have to do a LOT of figures in khaki!  I'd suggest looking on Shapeways under 1/48 USN and find officers.

 

C2j

 

Hey, thanks for the info!

I still haven't started into this project but it is still one I'm going to do...ideally I'd love to have it done for the 2020 Nats, being the 75th anniversary of the mission and all but doubt I'll get it there.

In the meantime, I did find a WC-57 kit and a "hard top" cab conversion from "Tank Workshop"...at about the same time the guy that runs that company decided to pack it in 😕
The site is still up but he's apparently no longer producing or selling anything; http://www.tankworkshop.com/newshop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10&sort=3a&page=3

I've been trolling eBay and web sites trying to find the stuff but it looks like a kit bash of the Tamiya trucks will be the way I'll have to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I just stumbled across Tank Workshop.  Sorry to hear he's packed it in.

 

A CCKW steele cab conversion is available from Gaso.Line http://www.gaso-line.eu/gaso-line.htm #GAS48069.

 

I ordered several parts through their dealer Quarter Kit.  Shipped in about 36 hours and arrived in about 6 days from Paris.  Shipping was inexpensive too.

 

C2j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cubs2jets said:

Yeah, I just stumbled across Tank Workshop.  Sorry to hear he's packed it in.

 

A CCKW steele cab conversion is available from Gaso.Line http://www.gaso-line.eu/gaso-line.htm #GAS48069.

 

I ordered several parts through their dealer Quarter Kit.  Shipped in about 36 hours and arrived in about 6 days from Paris.  Shipping was inexpensive too.

 

C2j

Oh, yeah, that'll work! At least that way I'm not buying the fuel truck for no reason. Thanks for the link!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cubs2jets said:

Yeah, I just stumbled across Tank Workshop.  Sorry to hear he's packed it in.

 

A CCKW steele cab conversion is available from Gaso.Line http://www.gaso-line.eu/gaso-line.htm #GAS48069.

 

I ordered several parts through their dealer Quarter Kit.  Shipped in about 36 hours and arrived in about 6 days from Paris.  Shipping was inexpensive too.

 

C2j

How long ago did you oder from them? I placed the order, and got an email quoting a shipping price of 75 Euros! and they say the package weight is 3.475 kg (7 pounds??). Told them to cancel the order.

 

Them: "Dear Sir,
It is normal that you do not see an area for the shipping because for the zone Outside the European Union, shipping costs are calculated in relation to the weight of the package during its preparation.
Are you OK for the € 75 shipping?
I await your instructions.

Elodie"


Me: 75 Euros for shipping?!

 

Them: "Dear Sir,
Yes for shipping, this is the best price I found for your package of 3.475Kg.
I await your instructions.
Elodie"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Haaa...I just got this email back from them. Yeah, that sounds a bit more reasonable. Wow...
 
"Dear Sir,
Sorry, i understand, my colleague made a mistake on customer and your order will be shipped with 6.50 € shipping fee tomorrow.
Again, all my excuses.
Elodie"
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HA!  Seems that they were going to ship you all the materials necessary to make molds and cast it yourself!

 

I was really happy with the service and the shipping.

 

The one discrepancy I possibly see with the GMC steel cab (by whomever produced it) is they all appear to have no rear window.  In all the pictures (I can see) there is a rear window.  Not the end of the world.

 

C2j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cubs2jets said:

HA!  Seems that they were going to ship you all the materials necessary to make molds and cast it yourself!

 

I was really happy with the service and the shipping.

 

The one discrepancy I possibly see with the GMC steel cab (by whomever produced it) is they all appear to have no rear window.  In all the pictures (I can see) there is a rear window.  Not the end of the world.

 

C2j

They may have "copied" the cab from the Tamiya Fuel truck, I hear it does not have the window either. Not difficult to add it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be surprised if they didn't copy Tamiya.

 

Sooo...  I'm working to build a GMC G-506 4X4 like this:

 

1412510810_Chevrolet_G506_Trucksmall.jpg.4abdc0e2ad728dea64f0a1829aa84ee7.jpg

 

I ordered the "short wheelbase" conversion for the 2/12 to 6X6 which gives me the correct 9 foot bed.  I also ordered the winch for the front bumper.  The parts are well molded with some flash clean-up as expected.  I still have some work to do as I still need to shorten the new resin shortened frame to get down to the right length.  It won't be perfect, but it will be good enough for my purposes.  This is what the conversion kit gets me:

 

1220222933_cckw-152-107w-1small.jpg.801139ec75f637ccd1f25fc56292ef86.jpg

 

I essentially need to cut out the section between the cab and the bed and invert the rear springs for a single axle.  Shouldn't be too hard. 

 

C2j

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...