F-4E Phantoms???

In 48th scale, who all makes the US Air Force version of the E Model Phantom??  My very limited knowledge is that Hasegawa and Italeri does, but wondered if Academy and Monogram did as well???

Neighbor flew them in Vietnam and I'm thinking about building one he flew.  I did a F-105 for him some time back.

Help with the Phantom, guys.

Bo

59 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

If you can find it, the Monogram Pro Modeler boxing of the F-4E is the Hasegawa kit. It may be a lot cheaper than the Hasegawa boxing.

Which only builds an early Vietnam F-4E, an earlier block with the hard wing.

57 minutes ago, Collin said:

Any idea if the ZM kit will be a hard wing early E, or a slated later E version?

Cheers

Collin

The aircraft ZM are measuring in their blog is a later slatted E version. I bet they do both though.

19 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Both Testors and Fujimi had them, but they aren't even worth considering ...

There is an early Academy rebox of the old Fujimi kit out there, avoid that one as well.

I had, many moons ago, all of the ESCI Phantom kits in 1/48. They were cheap and engraved. They built up nicely but the cockpit was decals and those ejection seats were arm chairs. I think Italeri now has those moulds but I am not sure if that is what Italeri reboxed. Plus not too cheap now. I know they had an F-4E in the line up.

3 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I had, many moons ago, all of the ESCI Phantom kits in 1/48. They were cheap and engraved. They built up nicely but the cockpit was decals and those ejection seats were arm chairs. I think Italeri now has those moulds but I am not sure if that is what Italeri reboxed. Plus not too cheap now. I know they had an F-4E in the line up.

According to Scalemates, the recent Italeri issue is a rebox of the Esci kit

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Revell (original) had one as well. Avoid that.  I didn't realize ESCI had one. If it's like their J kit, it's actually not too bad if you replace the cockpit/seats. I used a Hasegawa cockpit and it fit pretty well.

Darren they did several boxings of the F-4E including USAF Thunderbirds and yes just like their J kit. They even had markings for an F-4F in one of them but of course it is just the E with a new decal sheet. I built it but back then I did not know about the filled in rear sparrow launch bays.

I think I used an old Monogram cockpit to spice it up. Cheaper than Hasegawa back then.

Hummmm, early version vs late ; hard wing vs slats, this is all confusing.  My neighbor did say those he flew in SEA were NOT slatted wing ones.  So, now to the 48th kits.

The current Italeri kit does NOT have slats.  What about the current Hasegawa kit with 30th Anniversary markings??  Stats???  If yes as I suspect, I stuck with the Italeri kit.  How does it build up??

Bo

16 minutes ago, jabow said:

Hummmm, early version vs late ; hard wing vs slats, this is all confusing.  My neighbor did say those he flew in SEA were NOT slatted wing ones.  So, now to the 48th kits.

The current Italeri kit does NOT have slats.  What about the current Hasegawa kit with 30th Anniversary markings??  Stats???  If yes as I suspect, I stuck with the Italeri kit.  How does it build up??

Bo

I believe later in the war they did get some slatted versions over there, I may be wrong. I am sure if I am wrong I will be corrected.

Edited by Scooby
23 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Darren they did several boxings of the F-4E including USAF Thunderbirds...

I have that kit, still bagged in the original box.  Also have the ESCI F-100D Thunderbirds kit.  :)

5 hours ago, jabow said:

Bo

Hasegawa offers both wing variations depending on exact boxing, as they kit the full Phantom family from the B on.

The F-4EJ will require modification of the wingtips as these are different than USAF versions

If you need one without slats, just cut off the ones that comes with the USAF version.