Duke Cunningham has a website

Who cares about his later years?? This is about the Fighter Pilot Duke Cunningham, who did what NO OTHER US pilot did...

and yes, I know about Chuck DeBellevue and the other USAF guys.

These guys (Randy Cunningham and Willie Driscoll, and the others like Leo Thorsnes and Marshall Harrison and Bob Mason etcetera were heroes then. Leave that be.

Some of them did stupid shoot later, it doesn't reduce the fact that they did heroic stuff when they were young. 

If you don't like their stuff, don't effing buy it...

leave the man alone, he's paid his debt to society, let this be a lesson the swamp is deep enough to take down heroes, and he is one, while other men ran away to Canada he did his duty, and he was a tiger, I bought two autographs from his website and I'll treasure them.  I respect all the men who proudly fought in Vietnam.  Cant imagine todays man bun, holes in ears skinny jean wearing pothead losers doing anything for our country.  Showtime 100 is an awesome aircraft to build and its popularity being kitted in 1/48 by Academy/Hasegawa/Z-M proves the story is enduring, I posted the website in hopes those of you who want his autograph get a chance to buy one from a great ace, if you had a chance to get one from   Boyington, Bong, Marseilles ,Rudel wouldn't you? and maybe just maybe you can let a hero know there is redemption and respect from us.

2 hours ago, Winnie said:

Who cares about his later years?? This is about the Fighter Pilot Duke Cunningham, who did what NO OTHER US pilot did...

and yes, I know about Chuck DeBellevue and the other USAF guys.

These guys (Randy Cunningham and Willie Driscoll, and the others like Leo Thorsnes and Marshall Harrison and Bob Mason etcetera were heroes then. Leave that be.

Some of them did stupid shoot later, it doesn't reduce the fact that they did heroic stuff when they were young. 

If you don't like their stuff, don't effing buy it...

it's common knowledge that at least one guy had over seven kills in that war, and maybe another one or two. But it wasn't D.C.

gary

12 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

leave the man alone, he's paid his debt to society, let this be a lesson the swamp is deep enough to take down heroes, and he is one, while other men ran away to Canada he did his duty, and he was a tiger, I bought two autographs from his website and I'll treasure them.  I respect all the men who proudly fought in Vietnam.  Cant imagine todays man bun, holes in ears skinny jean wearing pothead losers doing anything for our country.  Showtime 100 is an awesome aircraft to build and its popularity being kitted in 1/48 by Academy/Hasegawa/Z-M proves the story is enduring, I posted the website in hopes those of you who want his autograph get a chance to buy one from a great ace, if you had a chance to get one from   Boyington, Bong, Marseilles ,Rudel wouldn't you? and maybe just maybe you can let a hero know there is redemption and respect from us.

No stereotyping here is there folks? Poster makes some assumptions based on ignorance. I would guess he classifies other "groups" the same way. 

13 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

Cant imagine todays man bun, holes in ears skinny jean wearing pothead losers doing anything for our country.

You mean all those 19-20 year old grunts who have done multiple combat tours?    Excellent point... They are nothing compared to a tiger like Duke Cunningham. 

14 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

leave the man alone, he's paid his debt to society, let this be a lesson the swamp is deep enough to take down heroes, .....

You make it sound like he is a victim of DC politics. He didn’t get pulled into the swamp, he willingly jumped in. 

The man sought out a political career, largely riding on the coattails of his military accomplishments. He then used that position to line his pockets by committing tax evasion, bribery, mail fraud and wire fraud, and then lied about it. 

Yes, he served his time - in a minimum security facility - but that doesn’t erase the abuse of trust while in public office. He was elected to serve the people of the country he defended. Instead he chose to fleece them. 

So for some of you, a person's military career/accomplishments are voided by their political careers even though there maybe a 30-35 year time span between them.

And as far as retired/former military members riding on the coattails of their military accomplishments, every person who served in the military that has ran for public office has done it but since Cdr. Cunningham's political party is not your's it's not ok. I guess you guys are too young to remember Kennedy, Glenn, Carter, Johnson, Ford, Murtha, Duckworth, Blumenthal, McCain, Dole, and the list can go on using their military career to campaign for political office.

Look, I get it, Cdr. Cunningham royally eff'ed in his political career, he owned up to it (unlike most politicians) and did his time; but that was his political career, not his military career. We are talking about his military career, not his political career, funny how some can't separate the two.

If you want to talk politics, there's a political thread over at Z5 where you can post to your hearts content and not worry about the thread getting locked down or you getting banned. Also, there's Facebook and other numerous political websites that doesn't have a "No Politics" in the section title, which you guys failed to read.

BTW, if you are going to use one's politics as a prism to view their military career be careful, for once you start doing that to other's, other's can do that to you.

Edited by GW8345
6 hours ago, jpk said:

No stereotyping here is there folks? Poster makes some assumptions based on ignorance. I would guess he classifies other "groups" the same way. 

And exactly what ignorant assumptions is he making by posting an aviation/model related website on the largest aircraft modeling related site?

Are all posts supposed to be cleared through you to ensure they meet your requirements, do you have inside knowledge of what exactly ARC posting standards are?

Edited by GW8345
6 hours ago, jpk said:

the stereotypes are confirmed by my experiences, Im not ignorant to the type of people I at times have to deal with, what groups are you talking about? actually I think youre just trying to stir up something, I just wanted the group to know a bit about the man, live and let live

Edited by DarkKnight
5 hours ago, 11bee said:

You mean all those 19-20 year old grunts who have done multiple combat tours?    Excellent point... They are nothing compared to a tiger like Duke Cunningham. 

haven't met any man bun skinny jean wearing hole in ears potheads who ever served, mostly see them bitching about life while drinking a $4 Starbucks living off parents/loans/govt, I doubt these people are able to do any combat tours unless its in a gender inclusive bathroom 

Edited by DarkKnight

I ordered the colored autographed photo of Cunningham and Driscoll sitting in the cockpit of the F-4 with all the kill markings. I have a similar sized print of ShowTime 100 signed by Driscoll. I figure I will have the two photos framed together along with the VF-96 squadron patch I have and perhaps a few other Vietnam related USN F-4 patches I have collected over the years (Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club...Yankee Air Pirate). It will look cool with my other autographed memorabilia.

Thanks for the link again!

Regards

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

So for some of you, a person's military career/accomplishments are voided by their political careers even though there maybe a 30-35 year time span between them.

And as far as retired/former military members riding on the coattails of their military accomplishments, every person who served in the military that has ran for public office has done it but since Cdr. Cunningham's political party is not your's it's not ok. I guess you guys are too young to remember Kennedy, Glenn, Carter, Johnson, Ford, Murtha, Duckworth, Blumenthal, McCain, Dole, and the list can go on using their military career to campaign for political office.

Look, I get it, Cdr. Cunningham royally eff'ed in his political career, he owned up to it (unlike most politicians) and did his time; but that was his political career, not his military career. We are talking about his military career, not his political career, funny how some can't separate the two.

If you want to talk politics, there's a political thread over at Z5 where you can post to your hearts content and not worry about the thread getting locked down or you getting banned. Also, there's Facebook and other numerous political websites that doesn't have a "No Politics" in the section title, which you guys failed to read.

BTW, if you are going to use one's politics as a prism to view their military career be careful, for once you start doing that to other's, other's can do that to you.

No one has said Cunningham's political career voided his military career/accomplishments.  He's still a combat veteran, he's still an Ace. And by the same logic, his military career doesn't void his political career.

Too young?  Would you like me to tell you where I was when Kennedy was killed?  When Glenn was launched into orbit? When Johnson sent tens of thousands of young Americans to Vietnam?  If I still had my draft card I would post it here.  Don't think you are the oldest or wisest one here.

Owned up to it?  Cunningham stated he believed he'd be cleared of any wrongdoing.  He was told by his attorney he should plead guilty because the evidence against him was so overwhelming, and that if he went to court he would likely be served a life sentence if he didn't accept a plea bargain.  That is hardly "owning up to it".

Quoted from Cunningham's resignation speech:

When I announced several months ago that I would not seek re-election, I publicly declared my innocence because I was not strong enough to face the truth.   So, I misled my family, staff, friends, colleagues, the public – even myself. 

No one here (but you) is talking politics.  No one here (but you) has mentioned a party affiliation.  (edit: I see you edited your post to remove your political affiliation comment while I was typing)  Cunningham's exploits, as a military veteran AND as a politician, are a matter of public record, not someone's take on either career slanted or tainted by any political ideology.

Edited by habu2
22 hours ago, habu2 said:

The OP's link contains the following statement:

A U.S. Congressman for 16 years, Cunningham served as Chairman to the Intelligence Committee and on the Education Committee.

The door has been opened...

So in your first post you went to Cdr Cunningham's website and glossed over all his military info and quoted something from his political career.

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

You make it sound like he is a victim of DC politics. He didn’t get pulled into the swamp, he willingly jumped in. 

The man sought out a political career, largely riding on the coattails of his military accomplishments. He then used that position to line his pockets by committing tax evasion, bribery, mail fraud and wire fraud, and then lied about it. 

Yes, he served his time - in a minimum security facility - but that doesn’t erase the abuse of trust while in public office. He was elected to serve the people of the country he defended. Instead he chose to fleece them. 

Again, you are focusing on his political career.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

No one has said Cunningham's political career voided his military career/accomplishments.  He's still a combat veteran, he's still an Ace. And by the same logic, his military career doesn't void his political career.

Too young?  Would you like me to tell you where I was when Kennedy was killed?  When Glenn was launched into orbit? When Johnson sent tens of thousands of young Americans to Vietnam?  If I still had my draft card I would post it here.  Don't think you are the oldest or wisest one here.

Owned up to it?  Cunningham stated he believed he'd be cleared of any wrongdoing.  He was told by his attorney he should plead guilty because the evidence against him was so overwhelming, and that if he went to court he would likely be served a life sentence if he didn't accept a plea bargain.  That is hardly "owning up to it".

Quoted from Cunningham's resignation speech:

No one here (but you) is talking politics.  No one here (but you) has mentioned a party affiliation.  (edit: I see you edited your post to remove your political affiliation comment while I was typing)  Cunningham's exploits, as a military veteran AND as a politician, are a matter of public record, not someone's take on either career slanted or tainted by any political ideology.

1) I did not deleted or remove anything from that post, I added to it.

2) I never said I was the oldest or wisest, I just don't conflate one's military career with their political career.

3) I never mention party affiliation and the only way you would know my party affiliation is if you were lurking over at Z5.

4) No one is talking politics, I guess reading comprehension isn't our strong suite.

5) He served honorably and that is something that should never be disparaged or diminished because of something he did 20 years after his military service.

I've said my peace and will just agree to disagree and move on.

3 hours ago, Don said:

I ordered the colored autographed photo of Cunningham and Driscoll sitting in the cockpit of the F-4 with all the kill markings. I have a similar sized print of ShowTime 100 signed by Driscoll. I figure I will have the two photos framed together along with the VF-96 squadron patch I have and perhaps a few other Vietnam related USN F-4 patches I have collected over the years (Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club...Yankee Air Pirate). It will look cool with my other autographed memorabilia.

Thanks for the link again!

Regards

thats whatI ordered and I got an autographed book covert too, remember its not some glossy photo, it was like  some computer printed thing that came in a manilla envelope that i think he addressed himself, it was amateurish to the level that it was definitely done by himself, that in someway made it more special, but harder to display.  Displaying it with the patch sounds cool!

15 hours ago, GW8345 said:

And exactly what ignorant assumptions is he making by posting an aviation/model related website on the largest aircraft modeling related site?

Are all posts supposed to be cleared through you to ensure they meet your requirements, do you have inside knowledge of what exactly ARC posting standards are?

In my life experience of 65 years people that voice a certain opinion on single subject, tend to color other issues through the same prism. That is all.

Kind of related, but who makes the most accurate markings for ShowTime 100 in 1/48? All this talk about Cunningham (and Driscoll by association) has me thinking about dusting off my 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J kit.

Regards

1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

remember most  of the photos are of another phantom painted as showtime 100

Yeah, the real ShowTime 100...this one if I am not mistaken...

1280px-F-4J_VF-96_Showtime_100_in_flight

... is at the bottom of the ocean sadly. It's this one ^^^ that I want to do.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-03-05 at 12:46 AM, ChesshireCat said:

it's common knowledge that at least one guy had over seven kills in that war, and maybe another one or two. But it wasn't D.C.

gary

I didn't say that though.

Chuck DeBellevue is credited with 6 kills, he was a WSO on F-4's for Steve Ritchie for 4 of his kills, and also for John Madden's 2 kills. Still no matter, Duke Cunningham and Willie Driscoll DID shoot down 5, to be the first to do so in that particular conflict. No one can take that away from him. Just like John McCain spent years in Hanoi Hilton. Can't take that away, just because on may not agree with their policies later. 

Chuck DeBellevue is the USAF guy with most kills at 6.

Cheers

H.

Edited by Winnie
corrected/added info (no deletes)