C-135FR vs USAF KC-135R Differences

Hey y'all,

I just picked up the 1/72nd Heller C-135FR and I'd like to build up a USAF KC-135R. From my understanding, the French built up KC-135A's to the C-135FR standard. It looks as if they've got the CFM-56's and the R model stabs and vertical stabilizers. With that being said, what are the external differences between the KC-135R and the C-135FR? Are there any? Is it just a designation thing? Thanks for the help! 

The Heller KC-135FR kit is a repop of the AMT KC-135R. The only differences between the FR and R releases between the 2 companies is that Heller included the wing tip hose/drogue reel units (which Italeri also included in their repop of the R in 2014). The AMT kit does not have these.

For external differences between the R and FR I would suggest the antenna fit, but since the kit is the USAF version to start with you can build a USAF version OOB from the Heller kit. You will have to check refs to see if there are any changes to USAF machines for the period you are modelling since this kit was originally released in 1996. Heller released their version in 2003 but only with added drogue pods as mentioned.

Interestingly the Italeri issue comes with USAF and French Air Force decal options.

I have built the Italeri boxing and have copies of the AMT and Heller kits in the stash.

36866472075_cb42ec57ea_o.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

another thing many modelers don't take into account...if you are modeling the airplane on a stand with the boom down, the boom sighting window should be open, especially if you are modeling it with another iacraft hooked up.

Bruce

On 5/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, bradebaugh said:

another thing many modelers don't take into account...if you are modeling the airplane on a stand with the boom down, the boom sighting window should be open, especially if you are modeling it with another iacraft hooked up.

Bruce

Like this? 🙂

36866458015_bbbbcdf96a_b.jpg

36470214360_6b2cf0335a_b.jpg