Since the motorcycle is just about done I will get back to this.   This is a resin shift knob bust from Jimmy Flintstone.  I bought this when I was building Driving Mrs. Rommell for silly week 2017.  I need a bust to convert to Mrs. Rommell and I thought this looked cool as well.  When it started getting to close to Silly week I did not have the time to work on this kit so in the box it went.  The bust is mostly painted, only the eyes, teeth and small details need to be completed.  At the time I could not think of anything for a base.  I have a wood box that I am going to use and I ordered a 144th P-40 that I am going to mount to that so that it will be flying around behind him.

Wild Bill Kelso01

Edited by Els

I already had a wood box that was stained but I didn't have a clear acrylic rod for the bust.  I keep telling myself that I need to order a few of these to have on hand but I never seem to get around to it.  While I was at the store I saw a spatula with a clear handle so I bought that.  It looks a little weird but it will not matter once I grind a hole in the bottom of the bust and epoxy it in.

Wild Bill Kelso02

Here it is with the bust and some paint to give an idea of the scale of the bust.

Wild Bill Kelso03

I downloaded a bunch of images of his flight jacket and I am going to use those to decorate the edges of the box.  I will transfer images of his patches, etc. to styrene for a raised effect.  The next step will be building the P-40.

Well since this is my day off from work, its raining,  and the starter on my car cannot fulfill its one and only purpose, I dedicate my day to Shelf Queens.

I will start the day with the AFV Club P-40 kit.

Wild Bill Kelso04

There isn't much to it but it is a nice little kit.  After about 10 minutes it was mostly assembled.

Wild Bill Kelso05

I used just a little bit of putty on a couple of spots.  This will be posed in flight but there is no pilot.  I think I will replicate the scene where Wild Bill is flying in the canyon and all you can see in the cockpit is the map he was looking at.

The next step I have been dreading. 

Wild Bill Kelso06

A hole needs to be made in the bottom of the bust.  So I got all masked up and started drilling.  A few minutes later and a ton of resin dust later...

Wild Bill Kelso07Wild Bill Kelso08

A test fit and he looks pretty good.

Wild Bill Kelso09

The box looks a little bit big to me.  I think it will be OK after I add the decorations though.  I will wait to glue Bill on until after I work on it just incase I don't like it.

Els

Edited by Els

After a good day at the bench some progress was made.  I was watching one of the car builder shows on TV yesterday and they showed a technique were they paint the cars black.  After that is dry they spray silver and quickly lay a piece of plastic on the wet paint and pull it up.  This gave a very nice marble effect that you can then go over with a clear color of your choice.  So I decided to try it.  I wanted to try and get that brown color and texture of a flight jacket.  The cube was pained black.

Wild Bill Kelso10

Then I decided I wanted to add a piece that would look like a pocket flap.

Wild Bill Kelso11

Then came the silver and some plastic bags.  I big mess later and I had this.

Wild Bill Kelso12

I left that to dry while I started working on the flight jacket patches that I wanted to use.  I printed out some black and white images on cardstock.  They don't have to be great, I just need them for a guide while I paint them.

Wild Bill Kelso14

Then I started cutting out the individual images.

Wild Bill Kelso15

And additional copies of the specific images so that once glued they would give a 3d effect.

Wild Bill Kelso13

After putting a couple of thin brown layers of paint on the cube I made up the patches that I liked from his jacket and attached them to three sides.  This will give you and idea of what I am going for.

Wild Bill Kelso18

Els

Thanks Stefan,

The day was spent building up the P-40.  Unfortunately it will not be used for this build.  The kit did not come with a sharks mouth decal so I tried to hand paint it.  The plane was so small that I could not get it to look right so I just decided to build it up and use the kit decals.  This was a plane that was in the Aleutian islands in 1942 which is cool because that is where my Grandpa was.  I will go ahead and post some pics of it here because I bought it for this build.  I do not like building 144th kits because they are to small for my eyes but this was a nice little kit.  There was a ton of carrier film on the decals and I trimmed it off all the decals except for the roundels.  They looked ok until I hit it with the dull coat.  Now you can see the rings around the decals where the carrier film is. 

100_0369100_0374100_0378100_0380

Els

• 2 weeks later...

Another one off the shelf of shame....Wild Bill is done.

Wild Bill Kelso19

The goggles turned out a little to red but other than that I am pretty happy with it.  It will look good on the shelf with other busts.  I was surprised at how nice the sculpt on this was for being designed as a shift knob for a vehicle. 

Thanks for following along.

Els

• 3 years later...
On 3/30/2018 at 8:10 PM, Els said:

Another one off the shelf of shame....Wild Bill is done.

Wild Bill Kelso19

The goggles turned out a little to red but other than that I am pretty happy with it.  It will look good on the shelf with other busts.  I was surprised at how nice the sculpt on this was for being designed as a shift knob for a vehicle. 

Thanks for following along.

Els

• 3 weeks later...

I just happened to see a new post on this when I was scrolling down to see if the F-16 group build had been added.  Quite a blast from the past.  I bought this from Jimmy Flintstone.

https://jimmyflintstonestudios.com/JFN185--Wild-Bill_p_585.html

If the link doesn't work just google JImmy Flintstone and you will see his store.  These shift knobs are great value for the money.

Els