1/72 Shuttle Revell vs Monogram

Hello all

I have been reading about the two large shuttles but have not found a pro/con on each of them nor an in depth review on which one is the more accurat representation. I did read the Monogram one has an issue with the wing profile (?) but no details. is there a good review around, one of those rivet counter/hait splitter ones? I have a Mongram one coming and was wondering if shopping for a 2nd hand Revell or ordering spares from Revell (easy in Germany) should be looked at.

thanks a lot

Uwe

When you say you've been reading about these kits, can I assume you've read the above thread on all the Shuttle kits? It's an excellent review of all the Shuttle kits!

For me, the Revell kit is a throw away. Raised tiles, poor Payload Bay door hinges and a detachable cockpit roof ... details like the wing chord or profile ... who cares? Once it's painted, nobody, I mean No-o-o-body will notice!

For me, it's Monogram. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps

Pete

Here's a basic run-down of each kit's shortcomings:

REVELL
- Oversized and incorrect tile pattern
- Oversized and squared off OMS pods
- Nose gear is too long
- Payload bay is too short

MONOGRAM
- Oversized cockpit windows
- No cargo bay radiator panels
- OMS engines too stubby

Overall, Monogram is the better model. The shortcomings of the kit can be overcome with aftermarket parts.

1/72 OMS Engines

1/72 Space Shuttle Main Engine

I've used 2 or 3 sets of the Real Space SSMEs and they are just fine ... from the standpoint of accuracy. However, the resin has a lot of air bubbles and they appear in the finer details. Filling them and fixing them is an unnecessary effort. I still have one more set, which I shall use in another upcoming Shuttle model.

I didn't know about the Shapeways offerings and they look pretty good... but at almost $100.00CDN ... YIKES!! 

Pete

...yes, the Shapeway stuff is expensive. Part of the expense though is the design itself. I am sure the 3 engines could be designed stuck inside each other with small pins to hold them apart like ice cream cubes...and that would bring the price for a set of three right down.

I have the Real Space 1/144 engines and they are very nice, no bubbles at all. In 1/32 scale there is also a set from Fischer Models that looks good...to my novice eye.  I am also concidering the AMP windows...I know Hotdog had issues with them being too big at first but that was a couple of years ago and apperantly this was fixed by now. Unfortunately all the pictures in the related threats are gone to to the PB issue. I presonally would actually prefere that beany cap that was avaialble a while back. Anyway...I have time. Will slowly shop around...and maybe even find the Real Space pay load bay one day! ;-)

There's nothing wrong with the Realspace SSME's, with a little work they make a fine representation of the shuttle engine nozzles, and are a vast improvement over the kit parts. If you get the Fisher engines, consider also getting my 1/72 OMS nozzles since the ones that come with the Fisher kit are a bit stubby (similar to the Monogram kit OMS).

• 5 years later...

hi! I want to buy one of these orbiters, revell 1/72 is available here in Chile, monogram is not (it could be found on ebay though) but my first option would be Revell because ir easier for me to aquire.

to me the worst problem would be the payload bay being "too short", but I want to know if you really can notice that, I mean, I downloaded images from the kit (almost an ortophoto) and I compared it with the orbiter blueprint and in fact it seemsto be a little bit shorter but nothing serious. About monogram, i have notice that the rear end should be higher (I mean between the wing and the oms pods. What do you think?

greetings from Chile.