First Lunar Landing anniv next year GB?

Let me test the waters on this forum to see if you guys would participate in a Group Build to celebrate the 1st Lunar Landing.

It'll be 50 years ... and YES, the USA did land there!  :thumbsup:

If I see a little interest here, I'll ask in the General Discussion page for general interest.

I'm thinking a February start and the finish would coincide with the July 20th anniversary.

Pete

Bill, your track record with GB's? ...   :rolleyes:    ... just GB's?  :whistle:

I haven't given it that much thought, but my preliminary ideas are Apollo ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17. Saturn V's included

.... LEGO's ... no.

No What-ifs

... being the Apollo purist that I am, we'll keep it honest!

I'll give it a couple more days here on this forum and then over the weekend, I'll post it on the General Discussion page and see if we can get 25 participants.

If not, we could do a mini GB right here ... :yahoo:

Pete

I'm just floating a trial balloon here CJ, so you won't a have a year and a half ... if the GB gets approved, I'm thinking from February 2019 to July ... six months ... yes CJ, just 6 ... short  ... months!!  :whistle:

But IIRC, you've got an LLTV on the go ... for the 50th ...  :rolleyes: ... but the 1/32 LM would work too.

I hope to make it to HeritageCon in a couple weeks ... are you gonna attend?

i'll give the GB criteria a little more thought and post a poll and such, in the General Discussion page of ARC at the weekend.

Thanx gents

Pete

I need some moto for the 1/96 Saturn V that's been gathering dust for about 20 years. It's over in the corner, just staring at me... No way I can wait until next January if it's to be done in July though. I've got the New Ware set for it and I'll need to do something about the tank skins. Lotta work there.

Geez, if it's giving you that evil eye,  :coolio:        start it now-w-w-w!!   

Here's some reading material on fixing up the Saturn V. The author is Rick Sternbach whom you should recall, worked on Star Trek in a special effects capacity ... he knows his stuff!

http://ricksternbach.com/SatV/Saturn_V_Clinic.html

If this GB gets approved, and I haven't yet posted it formally, I'm not gonna stipulate that the model(s) need to be a certain percentage complete. If by February, your model is 66% complete, great ... 87% done, that's okay by me-e-e.

But we'll see if there's an authority I need to appeal to ... but being 6'4" and 220, I don't think I'll hafta do a lot pleading!  :fight:

Vincent, it'll be terrific to have you be a part of this. I'll get this Group Build rolling this weekend.

Pete

hmmm....87% done even?!?!? I could maybe throw my Dragon Saturn V in under those rules...heck, if it's over that I'll just unbuild what I have and do a do over....I've been doing that all along with the build anyway! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

hmmm....87% done even?!?!? I could maybe throw my Dragon Saturn V in under those rules...heck, if it's over that I'll just unbuild what I have and do a do over....I've been doing that all along with the build anyway! :thumbsup:

:woot.gif:  :yahoo:  Yup, even 87% but, two new rules ... you must complete it ... and ... seeing as you'll have had  a many months head start, it had ... better ... be ... per-r-r-fect!!

You see, we all know that your GPS co-ordinates are contained in your ARC posts and ... I ... will ... find ... you! ....... to give you your prize, that is!  :whistle:

Per r r fect?! well, that rules me out. ain't none of my stuff even CLOSE to perfect. That is unless the lights are really dim, you're looking at it from 30' away and one eye is closed. Then yes, you can't see a single flaw then.

Bill

Nice!  Thanks for the  headstart I really need it.  I'm not expecting my 1/32 LM-5 to be perfect or win prizes or anything  -- just completing it is prize enough for me.   As for the LLRV ---  maybe if you're doing a 75th anniversary GB of the moon landing someday I'd like to enter it  : )      Hey, are you gonna be at the HeritageCon the whole day?

Head start is authorized? I guess I'm in with a Revell 1/96 scale Saturn V with New Ware resin and decals. I'm going to pick and choose which resin I use, some of it doesn't look like a great improvement over Revell's parts.

Also Rick Sternbach did a lot of art on Science Fiction books and magazines too.

A good reference for the Saturn V is the newish "Haynes Manual". Not the Apollo 11 one but the Saturn V one. Lots of color pictures and details I hadn't seen before.

With unfinished models being welcome, I'm thinking I'll just toss one of my current "Dragon Trash Saturn" builds into the mix.  They're only about 20% complete so far ... and at my current rate, I might actually finish them within the time frame allotted.  

Although it likely fits in the "what if" category, I've also been tossing around the Idea of building a 1/72 Nova C-8 LV as proposed for the Apollo Direct Ascent plan.  A rocket with eight F-1s really appeals to something very deep in my psyche.  I've drawn up the preliminary plan, based on the General Dynamics proposal, and it seems very attainable.  Most tube diameters coincide with schedule 40 PVC/ABS pipe sizes available at the Home Depot and I have a number of extra parts from a number of Dragon Saturn V kits I have in my possession.

nova_c_8.png

Edited by johnlove_mk_II

Grey Ghost 531, when you start your build, make sure you post it here ... we've got a couple Saturn V builds going on and if the GB gets approved just complete it over there.

Johnlove, the NOVA would be a nifty build here but the GB ... no 'what-ifs" ...

Pete