MHU-83 from scratch in 1/32 scale

Hello all.

Living in Thailand I got even more triggered by the Vietnam War, as a lot missions were deployed as from Thailand. From a topic in Jet Modelling a video inspired me to build a MHU-83E. There are a lot different species from those weapon loaders, so even MHU-83E might not be the right acronym. However, starting point was a early MJ-1. Engine part of the vehicle have some similar shape. From a picture base and a nice blue print provided by Finn, I started to measure the MJ-1 for its basic measurement and decided to translate that in a skinny basic shape.

Left hand side. All is pretty basic. Details for mesh are to be added, so 2 layers of 0.25mm styrene will build up the final shape.

2Yr3Fm4.jpg

Following pictures show the bode from different angles.

M6QcgbH.jpg

Ls2B8Um.jpg

NfjKbz7.jpg

ozjRAVF.jpg

rpFDryZ.jpg

When building with styrene inside of the shape needs to be fat. But I even managed to build to skinny. After one day I cut the whole thing in 2 parts and filled a missing proportion gap of 2,5mm. It looks convincing now, but with the zoom one can see the puddles where the putty will go.

Happy so far, I started with the booms and did some comparison with the MJ-1, which is a kit from Videoaviation (stripped from paint as that was a complete horror).

nD34UB2.jpg

kCEMyL7.jpg

yD7MbpV.jpg

wT86T7f.jpg

Working week will get me off the bench, so updates will come in weekends, in between house building and other life related business (I hope).

Hope you all enjoy.

Cheers,

Robert Jan

Hello all.

The weekend had almost passed, when I finally got to the bench on a Sunday afternoon. my Brothers Birthday party, at home and another one going very, very chic in a  restaurant with friends coming over to Bangkok, took a lot of energy, usually spent on building.

But, with building materials coming in from Australia I had a good excuse to update with pictures later this week. First part of the build was mainly build from tiny leftover stock.

So in the meanwhile I was looking the video over and over again, to get the right spots and sizes. Have some superb mesh in my stash now and the Evergreen styrene materials of course, which arrived today. Also gave me the opportunity to redo some parts, add detail and finish the videoaviation MJ-1. All set for primer now  (second time).

So stay tuned.

Thanks to all the people who took a glimpse of the building so far, more to come. 

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hello.

Only 3 images to show the mesh. Also made a start with the construction for the boom that will lift the loads. Way to go, but satisfied.

Mesh is exactly the size to blend behind 0.5mm sheet.

More to come, I hope next week, However, rest of this month I have 2 important Audits at, will be busy.....

Start with the construction for the lifting part of this vehicle. Need some more reference to make it better, see what the w.w.w. brings up.

JzVNyWL.jpg

Needs some clean up later. Maybe make some new mesh circles to make it better, we'll see. 

n6P5w9U.jpg

Same with this picture. Macro view makes you wonder how to correct this. Eyeballing does not work with this scale.

BZJFq0G.jpg?2

Hope you all like it.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

Hi all.

Just for comparison some pictures from the MJ-1 from videoaviation.

Ready for primer.

2yOPnfN.jpg

P7uFqYh.jpg

uvlvMXL.jpg

HNHls11.jpg

qfsy4ky.jpg

bMxsYBD.jpg

Very nice kit to build. Had some trouble with the first layer of primer so had to remove that. Hope next will be better.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hi all.

Update on the build of the MHU-83.

Changed the front of the vehicle where cilinder and lifting boom are mounted. Made the cilinder from styrene tubing.

Finished the panels with all the mesh added. Next will be the dashboard and some experiments for building the lifting boom, which is rather complicated design.

Some progress pictures...

Stage of the build. 

gDen0hd.jpg

uAiFCoP.jpg

Needs some work, lights and more detail like bolts, etc.

1XLBBZi.jpg

More sanding to come a some minor corrections on the mesh

SYMxerG.jpg

Will need some panel lines 

PvjLONL.jpg

Added exhaust pipe.

msNW7aA.jpg

Wheels for the MHU-83 I also will have to scratch, bit of a challenge.

Have a nice week!

Kind regards,

Robert Jan