USS Lexington found in Coral Sea

4 hours ago, cag_200 said:

Amazing find..   so what is next?  ..Kongo? Shinano? MH370?

Somebody asked that same question on the RV Petrel's Facebook page. They said that they would love to go search for the Hornet and the Wasp. But said that the Kongo was probably a no go due to it being very close to Chinese territorial waters.

I don't know if there's going to be much of Hornet left to find. After the Navy dumped some 400 5" shells into the blazing hulk the Japanese had to finish it off with a spread of torpedoes. Might not be recognizable if someone should find it.

11 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

That's why I said, "normally".  The convention was for the CO to lead the first division, in X-F-1, and the XO to lead the second division, in X-F-10.  Under the operational necessity present at the time leading up to the Coral Sea battle, complying with convention obviously was less important than getting the proper equipment to the units going into battle - it wasn't "normal" circumstances. 

Hi Joe, I know you said that. Sorry if I came across in a way I didn’t intend to.

10 hours ago, cag_200 said:

Amazing find..   so what is next?  ..Kongo? Shinano? MH370?

I wish they'd find Amelia's Electra, just to shut up that huckster at TIGHAR.

SN