Hi all guys;
as someone of you know I've just finished my Israeli Mystére,so its time to move to another one.

Like all of us,I've a lot of project in mind ( and in the stash ) and decide which will be the new one is always a dilemma.

This time the "papabile" models were four: 

- the old Airfix Super Mystére converted to am IAF Sa'ar,but after the Mystére I will something more "relaxing";

- the Academy OV-10D Bronco for my ODS collection,but I need more precise decals than the kit one,but looklike if no one have a sheet in catalogue.Print Scale annunced in his site a coming soon sheet,so I decided to wait;

- one of my Cobras ( unsure if a Italeri OIF Whiskey or a HB IAF Tzefa )

- one of my Arab birds

In the last time I was in a "Soviet-build fever" and bought a pair of Modelsvit Fitters and a RV Flogger,so I opted to realize one of the "enemy" planes,and precisely a Zvezda MiG-21Bis.

The kit is already well know and despite some minor issues ( some wrong panels in the tail fin area and I remember reading something 'bout the intake lip) is probably the best kit in the 1/72;I don't know directely the RV kits so I can't compare'em,but surely eclipse the Fujimi ones,and modelers better than me obtained truly little gems from the Zvedza kit,the beautiful I ever see was built by Francois-Regis Binder,a masterpiece!

So after so much speak the pre-start customary pics.

First obviously the kit' box.

7e1ZuI.jpg

Next the decals,with the impressive stencils sheet from Begemot ( not completely sure if the Arab jets have Cyrillic or English stencils) and the Tally-Ho ones for the markings;in reality I'm still unsure if use the latter or made a "collage" of various sheets,here any help are more than welcomed!

2yKJZ8.jpg

Continuing with the AM,the Master pitot tube and static dischargers,the beautiful Part PE set and a Pavla bang seat.

Hie8fl.jpg

For the loadout I choose the Atoll and Aphids from Eduard Brassin;in reality I will use the R-3R radar version of the Soviet missile in place of the older IR R-3S,but look like If only RV produced the radar guided Atoll and are long sold out everywhere...

ItqFOz.jpg

And finally the ref material ( I've naturally pics downloaded from Internet),including Tom Cooper' fantastic Arab MiGs series.

X2AvT5.jpg

I'm waitng some Quickboost resin details which,initially intended as improvement for the Fujimi kit,will be useful also for the Zvezda.

And that's all for now.

Because I'm not a MiG expert ( in reality expert in nothing:rolleyes:) any suggestion,criticism,help,etc... are more than welcomed!

As always thanks for watching,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Thanks mate,honored to have you in my thread!

I post this build in parallel on the IDF forum,and started receive some useful feedback from a former groundcrew guys of the Polish Air Force which worked on Fishbed.
Also,I started work on the pit to obtaine a more correct shape/details of the whole area.

The same guy confirmed my think of English stencils on export MiG-21s,especially in the Arabs Countrys;so,someone know if some producer have this type of sheets ?

Any help will be great!

Gianni

Good days guys,

a little update.

Started work to improve the pit.

First,I tried to give the correct shape at the bathtub,but only the forward half,as the seat will cover the aft's.

1NrYOb.jpg

And started  add detail to the rear bulkhead,with a combination of PE and plasticard;obviously still need to add the wiring.

l4lIU4.jpg

That's all for now and thanks for watching,hope to show more progress soon.

Cheers,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Great start! I love the pit details and especially what you've done for the tub. 

It's a nice kit. When I built mine (the thread is somewhere here on ARC) I was surprised how good it was. Nowadays nobody is when thinking about their recent kits. Surely many smaller details needed corrections and scratching.

One example that comes to my mind are the main wheels. No AM stuff there on your model?

Edited by janman

Thanks mate!

I remember your build,after follow your thread I decided that I needed to add a Fishbed to my collection ( and bought three...).

Unfortunately,I don't find any AM for the MLG wells;I still undecide if carve the sidewalls to add all these delicious details ( bottles,wire,ecc) of,as done by Mr. Binder in Maquette 72,cut a section of the wing and redo this area...

Gianni

P.S. Just yesterday noted on Eduard site the preorder for is new 1/72 MiG-21 ( MF if remember correctely) which look like a scale down of the 1/48 series...think I'm lose some money in the near future.

Gianni, I did not use any AM gear wells. I added some fuel and hydraulic lines there but nothing for the wing area since, as you already described, it's pretty impossible. I remember we had some speculation a while ago here on ARC about using Revell F-13 wings which have cavities inside the wings.

I did have aftermarket wheels from Equipage and they are really nice.

I have a lot of photos of Finnish bis MiGs (several examples, some with even full walkarounds), so feel free to ask me if you need more references. Always ready to help a fellow MiG builder!

Thanks mate!

I past the last days working on the cockpit.

The thub is almost finished,need only a couple of PEs from the Part sheet for the rear bulkhead.I used only one console from the PE set,the left is detailed with plasticard;the same for the sidewalls,here I sectioned the PEs,added scavenged PEs for the gauges,Archer rivets and plastic.Also started work on the IP, again the PE panels was sectioned to replicate the different layers of the real part.

E7nH1R.jpg

But what consumed my time was the ejection seat.

The Pavla one is little for the pit,so I choose to improve the kit one.

I removed all the lateral parts and the headrest , sculpted a new one out of Milliput and added the basic shape of the upper part with plasticard.

mwfilC.jpg

At this point started add the details on the rear,time consuming but very fun!

EHSkEg.jpg

Still need to add the details in the lower section,but fortunately the Part' PE are very good,and the cushion out of plasticard.

Between a seat session and the next , I started to work on the NLG bay and added some wiring and other details.

aaPFsL.jpg

I devoted my attention also at the leg,but there I need to add some other things.

Lnr7CT.jpg

And that's the actual point of the job.

Like always thanks to stop by and feel free of comment !!!

Cheers,

Gianni

On 18.3.2018 at 12:56 AM, kurnass77 said:

Thanks janman,if you have pics of the IP cover will be a great help!

I went through my own photos and unfortunately did not find any good photos of the IP cover.:crying:Very strange that I didn't bother taking such pics... Seems whenever I've climbed up to take photos of the cockpit I've always been mesmerized by those turquoise colored instrument panels around and in front of the seat and the seat itself...

Thanks guys!

No prob for the pics Jan!

I made some researches on the net and found some useful pics.

On 20/3/2018 at 4:50 PM, janman said:

Seems whenever I've climbed up to take photos of the cockpit I've always been mesmerized by those turquoise colored instrument panels around and in front of the seat and the seat itself...

That's really funny!!!:rolleyes:

I had very few free time since the last post,but I've litterally just finished my customized seat,what do you think ?

hcMQ5M.jpg

jafxhB.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Gianni