Hi Gianni!

Your build is outstanding... what you have done with the main landing gear bay is something to be taught in the modelling academy 😁

Anyway, I1m looking forward the final touches and result of the Bis.

What kinda syrian camo gonna be this bird??? Early one or the yellowish-green late type, they applied after the local refurbishment??

Best regars,

Polo

Hi Polo thanks!

I'm oriented to an early one camo;I've bought some different brand colors ( MRP,AK,Gunze) in order to match the ones described by Tom Cooper in the link I added in previous post.

If I've correctely interpretated Mr. Cooper words,I can "use" the camo pattern and colors from other Arab country and tha best I've found was some IrAF examples.

But actually I'm pretty busy and the Fishbed will wait...

But stay tuned my friends!

Gianni

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,so much time passed since my last update,but the real life is a little hard lately and the "obscure" nature of the subject don't help me .

But as previous said,I decided to finish the build in a way or another.

So,following the tips of Mr. Cooper on Britmodeller,I used some pics of Iraqi Bis and a rare,bad quality image of a SyAAF bird on Luftwaffe.com as reference and I completed the camo.

I used the AK light stone for the sand and MRP aircraft grey-green for the green.

8ElOPW.jpg

DU39ev.jpg

As evident I've applied a first weathering at this stage,principally a bleached apparence on the upper surfaces,directely exposed at the Middle-east sun.

eg1z7b.jpg

SSCMvz.jpg

I painted also some touch-ups like the left wing tip,both surfaces.

jIyEQp.jpg

I'm quite happy of the rivets,despite I was warned that in many cases in the real planes probably these details are filled smooth.But at this stage of the build I haven't the will to fill these details,sorry guys.

YzenPV.jpg

JfnQOQ.jpg

The already painted belly received some more weathering.

P31Ut9.jpg

qwCBYJ.jpg

So I'm basically ready to start to add the decals,but another problem sorted out,the serial number...

From the Luftwaffe.com image,is evident that the plane had the 22xx range,but this's all.

So I don't know if I can use the number of the survived examples still in use,or if the latters were delivered after the 1982 war...

As always comment and suggestion are welcomed.

Thanks to all,Gianni.

Edited by kurnass77

Thanks guys for your words,they're a welcomed and needed morale boost for me!

In some moments I was,and still are,very frustrated by the lack of precise infos to work with,as isn't my standard to buid a model with some approximation.

Gianni

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,some time passed since the last post,but I'm here with some small progress.

After a first layer of gloss I added some panel wash,a combination of artist oil,AK and Tamiya wash,followed by another coat of Gauzy gloss in preparation of the decals.

I worked on a soft apparence,who do you think guys?

EP5Mif.jpg

yK36VH.jpg

V9BB97.jpg

YwAhHe.jpg

The wheel bays was painted in Mr.Paint Light Grey-Blue with the details in Vallejo acrilics

jbfqsZ.jpg

GEOLEa.jpg

Also the pylons,rails and missiles received some attention

Xh5r0a.jpg

NJsVoi.jpg

j0SXTO.jpg

Now guys,I'll some info about the quality of the Begemot decals,as I've the Fishbed' stencils sheet,?cause I started think if buy the Eduard one.

Thanks all for watching my friends.

Gianni

On 5/21/2019 at 9:05 PM, Aigore said:

Outstanding Gianni! You build at a geological pace but it looks oh so good! 😜

Thanks Janne; you're right about my velocity and this year is worst that other,as I've some headeches both at work and family...

On 5/23/2019 at 1:47 AM, ChernayaAkula said:

Nice work on the underside. :thumbsup: Looks suitably worn, but not too beat-up.

Thanks mate.

This was my goal , especially 'cause I've a lack of infos and worked in a plausible,conservative way.

22 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Thanks Janne; you're right about my velocity and this year is worst that other,as I've some headeches both at work and family...

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, it's been a rough year so far. I hope for all the best, mate 🙂

Thanks all guys!

I'll share with you some of my thoughts ; find pics of Syrian planes is very hard,with the exclusion of the recent year and the conflict with the ISIS.

For early -21Bis like mine, is almost impossible,the only useful one is this,from which I deduced some info about the front fuselage camo that I used as base for my model (together with some Iraqi examples,as per Mr. Cooper discussion on Britmodeller).

Now,I'm ready for the decals but I have no clue 'bout serial number;from the pics you can deduce that the range is in the 22xx,looking with more attention maybe a 220x, but no a fourth number ( maybe can be a 1 abd for this reason less visible?)

If you continue to watch the site in the link,some of the shotdown Bis of the currently Civil war  was in the 22xx range,comprised if remember well a 2204 and a 2284.

So,assuming that I want/will reproduce one of these airframes, it's possible they were survivors of the 1982 Bekaa clashes or were maybe replacement for the losses?

I admitt tha probably nobody,with the exclusion of the people actually involved in the Peace for Galilee fights, can provide useful infos and contest a my error respect the serial number but this is the worry that stop me to finish the bird...:crying2:

Any ideas guys? Any possible help will be more that welcomed!!!!

Thanks to all ,:cheers:

Gianni

• 9 months later...

Hi all guys,

after almost an era since my last post, here the latest update on my build.

The build is in the final stages;decals on, I followed with some Tamiya panel wash and sealed all with another coat of clear.

At this point I make the various touch-ups,both necessary and artistic and added some weathering wit a combinations of techniques and media,principally artist oils, Alclad and Tamiya smoke and AK pencils.

Satisfied with the result I airbrushed some Mr Hobby flat clear and added the landing gears,the kit one for the nose,and the SAC metal iteration for the MLG; that despite destined for the Eduard MF kit, fit with no problem to the scratched bays.

skI4lw.jpg

Because of the new bays and legs I was forced to scratch the new oleos for the MLG.

A pair of plastirod bits of 1mm diameter on each end of the legs helped to strenghtening the join and also replicate the rotation mechanism ,see the arrows in the image.

8O6LV5.jpg

Note also that I've painted the small details on the wings' leading edges ( nav lights,RWRs,ecc...)

AAsgxB.jpg

v5DsSH.jpg

Fortunately I correctely calculated the weight in the nose area and the bird now sit on his legs and not on the tail!

eb7vGS.jpg

jfSI8V.jpg

FUV5Ds.jpg

The pit area received some attention also in form of, in the order, the clean-up of tape glue residues ( after all the months was masked) with the various Tamiya compounds, paint of the canopy seal around the windshield frames, add the seal around the pit edges and some scratch with Citadel steel. For the last effect, without correct infos,I worked on the conservative side fearing a possible overdone result.

SRTo0k.jpg

Changing area, I finished the load-out. Again,lack of references push me to take a little artistic license for the missiles' launch rails, working on examples of other Fishbed operators ( Iraq principally),obtaining this way some color variation.

Here the Eduard stencils worked flawlessy and conformed perfectely around the pylons details with a drop of Mr. Mark Softer but they had a little too stark colors so I've airbrushed s thinned coat of the camo, as for the whole model.

bSnHiZ.jpg

7ttVoG.jpg

Now all left to be accomplished are to add the landing gears covers, the smaller details like the Master pitot, various probes and the weapons and the finally the canopy!

So stay tuned for the imminent conclusion of another long journey.

Feel free of any comment and critique guys and thanks for stop by!

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys a quick update.

The gear doors was glued.

ZZwDU9.jpg

hVam10.jpg

UaYtPb.jpg

Iwzrgr.jpg

I've done the new oleos for the MLG bigger doors ( red arrow)

zBBWC5.jpg

yQtrXh.jpg

So now I can add the load out and the last details and finish it!!

Thanks for looking,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Arnaud,my friend how are you? Glad to have you stop by and thanks for your words!

The MiG is fully loaded now!

RYmmo1.jpg

oKyRLN.jpg

F4mFmK.jpg

The Eduard weapons are fantastic!!!

arJ0C6.jpg

I've also glued some small details and scratched the ring that encircle the exhaust feathers.

aVTOLc.jpg           mHYbfw.jpg

So now all left are only the horizontal stabs, the canopy and minor details so stay tuned my friends and thanks all!!!

Gianni