F9F-5 VF-781 Lt Royce Williams

Here's the tail area sanded up and the lead tail hook. After I made and

installed the lead hook I found the kit one under my table in the carpet. Ooooops

I just noticed 2 voids in the horizontal seam of the tail, more putty!---John

HOsWBRE.jpg

John,

At least you found the hook. I usually never find the part that the Carpet Monster took, especially since I vac. my model/computer room weekly (due to the cat which just about never leaves me alone) 

Joel

I fixed the void and sanded it all out. A question for Tommy, I know he wouldn't have had

any weapons but would there have been pylons on empty? I ask because I am getting

close to painting and I can see the holes where the pylons would go. Also I noticed in

quite a few pictures that the interior of the blow in doors look to be yellow zinc chromate

and not green. I have seen interior nose photos and that area was green. Just curious.---John

E1mYo17.jpg

2 hours ago, john53 said:

I fixed the void and sanded it all out. A question for Tommy, I know he wouldn't have had

any weapons but would there have been pylons on empty? I ask because I am getting

close to painting and I can see the holes where the pylons would go. Also I noticed in

quite a few pictures that the interior of the blow in doors look to be yellow zinc chromate

and not green. I have seen interior nose photos and that area was green. Just curious.---John

Reading between the lines of the Oriskany operational report for November 1952, the F9Fs assigned to CAP might have been clean, i.e. no pylons, for best performance. In any event, only the three outboard Aero 14A were generally carried since the big inboard Mk51 pylon created too much drag and it was labor intensive to install and remove them on a daily mission basis. Pictures aren't much help, with a lot of variance in F9F pylon configuration. Illustrations of the VF-781 airplanes leave off all the pylons.

With respect to color, the difference in yellow and green areas might be that yellow was the first coat and green was the second if one was required. The two different tints allowed the painter and quality inspector to be sure that the second coat was complete. However, I don't know. The gear wells and inboard side of the landing gear doors did appear to be green.

Thanks, I generally do the wells and inside doors dark sea blue but I think these

planes were fairly new and hadn't gone through the depot yet. So I will do the wells

green as the inside of the doors. Gear legs dark sea blue or aluminum lacquer?---John

• 1 month later...

More decals added. This decal sheet is the newer Hasegawa sheet for their

F9F-2 Panther, dated 2014. I noticed the white is really white unlike their 1980s

sheets where the whites were more ivory. I have more decals on, I am going to

have to do some creative work on the nose flash. It is different for the -5 Panther

so I am cutting the -2 Panther decals just before the guns. I am going to draw the

curve from one flash to the other over the nose and paint it, then look for 1/16 inch

white stripes, maybe from Walthers model train shop. I did something like this before

on an FJ Fury nose and it came out decent.---John

thnYJNk.jpg

sShEaEi.jpg