Obsession with FS 36170: Who Got It Right?

13 hours ago, RichardL said:

Mission Models FS36170 might look OK after a few clear gloss coats and flat coats to tone down the metallic specks.  I will check to see if Mr. Color RLM75 has the same hue as Gunze's version.

16 hours ago, B2Blain said:

I wish I found this post a few month ago.  I have tried AKAN and it seems to light.  I recently purchase Mission Models FS36170.  The brand is excellent.  I had no problems spraying it through an airbrush.  But I think the metallic specks are not subtle enough.  Maybe due to the scale?  

I am interested to try Gunze's RLM75.  Would Mr. Color RLM75 have the same sheen as the acrylic version?

Thanks!

Did you use the polyurethane additive with the Mission Models Paint? I would like to try their paint, but have yet to do so.

I came across a F-35A build on the ARC Facebook page. It was done by Toby Nelson and he did a great job of replicating the Have Glass sheen. He stated "For the Have Glass finish I used a 50/50 mix of Mr Color Engine Grey and Mr Color Super Metallic Stainless Steel. "  The finer pigments used in the Mr Color Super Metallic paint have really made it look closer to the real thing then the mixes using standard metallic paints. Here a pic of his build, posted with his permission.

25442941_10213612912791235_8714611732249472212_n.jpg.058bf0e237859def6038240136459a87.jpg

Here's a link to his Facebook post which has more pics.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/permalink/410574426029929/

Could only post one pic of Toby's build in the previous post. Here's one more. You can really see the sheen. I also got some more info from Toby. He used a gloss coat using Tamiya X-22 for decal application. He stated that the gloss coat actually magnified the metallic effect. The final coat was MRP Semi-Matt clear coat.

29541167_10214466939181361_2600066783111505788_n.thumb.jpg.4f4f7d1b373f2dc54009da361fb96cc5.jpg

Edited by Mstor

That's a nice build.  However, I think I will give mine a metallic bronze sheen as opposed to stainless steel since the pics that I've seen all have bronze sheen.  I have some ideas in mind.

1 minute ago, RichardL said:

That's a nice build.  However, I think I will give mine a metallic bronze sheen as opposed to stainless steel since the pics that I've seen all have bronze sheen.  I have some ideas in mind.

Oh, that's an idea! Can't wait to see what it looks like.

27 minutes ago, RichardL said:

I just looked at a color chart for Mr Color metallic paints. They don't make a bronze in the Super Metallic line. They have one in the Mr. Metal Colors, but, according to the chart, it has a green tint. The Mr Metal colors have larger pigment particles and it is a buffable paint (buffs to a nice metallic sheen though). The Super Metallic line are closer to an Alclad in pigment size but thicker in viscosity (must use Mr Color Leveling thinner). They also have a Mr Super Metallic Plate Silver that is thinner in viscosity and actually has its own special thinner according to the chart.

So, don't know if green tinted metallic sheen was what you are after or if you wanted what I would consider the "normal" more golden bronze color. They do make a Titanium in the Super Metallics which may look good.

If you already knew all this then sorry, I've probably just bored you to death 😴

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Does anyone know if the lighter panel taped ares have the sheen as well?

From all the photos I've seen, no, the taped areas don't have the sheen. Look at the photo below. You can clearly see that the taped areas don't have the sheen.

8886290994_2bf8b4f04d_b_1

You would think engine gray would be too dark but I really like the result. I think I am going to stick with Mission Models FS36170 and see how it turns out once the flat coat is applied. I experimented with FS36270, FS36251, and FS36231 for the RAM tape.  I likely with go with FS36231.

18 hours ago, Mstor said:

From all the photos I've seen, no, the taped areas don't have the sheen. Look at the photo below. You can clearly see that the taped areas don't have the sheen.

They just don't make this easy.

2 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

They just don't make this easy.

Yea, but I think doing what Toby did using a mix of a Mr Color paint, probably the RLM 75, with one of the Super Metallic paints, for the base coat is the way to go, at least for me. The taped areas can be done with a regular paint with no metallic color added, so no sheen. Actually I think I got it backwards. Using the Galaxy masks, I think one would paint the taped areas first, mask and then the Have Glass areas. Anyway, then an X-22 gloss coat for decals and then the MRP semi-matt clear coat. I think applying the masks will be the most onerous task. After that the rest should be relatively easy.

Now, if you are intent on using a different brand paint for the Have Glass effect I think there is still the issue of the sheen being effected by the various clear coats. That's why I like Toby's method. The sheen still looks good when I was said and done.

• 5 months later...

Here's a good comparison between Gunship Gray FS36118 and FS36170 Have Glass 5 Gray.  The HG5 is darker than legacy paint, I recommend FS36081 Euro I gray if you want a substitute.

I will clear up some confusion, yes the 180th had 2 tails with "112" for the last year.  89-2112 could not be painted in the 112th Fighter Squadron 100th Anniversary scheme since it is an HG5 jet so 90-0731 received the markings. Of course, AGE was delivered to the wrong aircraft as well as the incorrect engine being downloaded after flying. I know pilots went to the wrong aircraft too.

22554978_10155810502769872_8685876088358373989_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found this at Hobby Lobby today.  It actually looks close to FS36170, but Testors doesn't make it in a bottle, not practical for small areas nor touch-ups. 

342306_0518_CAH_3oz_CamoColors_CamoGray_480x480.jpg

Edited by weirich1
On 6/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, Mstor said:

Yea, but I think doing what Toby did using a mix of a Mr Color paint, probably the RLM 75, with one of the Super Metallic paints, for the base coat is the way to go, at least for me. The taped areas can be done with a regular paint with no metallic color added, so no sheen. Actually I think I got it backwards. Using the Galaxy masks, I think one would paint the taped areas first, mask and then the Have Glass areas. Anyway, then an X-22 gloss coat for decals and then the MRP semi-matt clear coat. I think applying the masks will be the most onerous task. After that the rest should be relatively easy.

Now, if you are intent on using a different brand paint for the Have Glass effect I think there is still the issue of the sheen being effected by the various clear coats. That's why I like Toby's method. The sheen still looks good when all was said and done.

(I just edited to correct a spelling error. Not really a new post, but the system treated as such due to the amount of time that had elapsed since the original post.)

Edited by Mstor
correct spelling error

I decided it's time to give into acrylic paint for the F-35 and F-16 by ordering some Mission Models MMP-083 FS36170 Have Glass Grey. Every other shade of gray in my arsenal doesn't look quite right, no more inaccurate jets.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:39 PM, boom175 said:

I'm very curious to see how the AK real colors matches up in this comparison.

As am I!  one interesting note.  for all of the AK real color AIR that I looked at, they included the FS number.  For the have glass, they only refer to it by name, not by FS number.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/have-glass-grey-10ml/

On 6/16/2018 at 7:16 PM, Mstor said:

Is this a later production jet with the more uniform paint job?  I really can't tell due to the reflections.   I was actually pondering building one of these later jets cause I wouldn't have to worry about all the masking.   If this is a later jet, I guess I'm SOL, gonna have to mask anyway due to the difference in sheen.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Is this a later production jet with the more uniform paint job?  I really can't tell due to the reflections.   I was actually pondering building one of these later jets cause I wouldn't have to worry about all the masking.   If this is a later jet, I guess I'm SOL, gonna have to mask anyway due to the difference in sheen.

I don't think it is. Here's a photo of the new paint/tape.

300_f-35-photo2_2__main.jpeg.5559f681f824d58118f35f8af79595b1.jpeg

You really can't see the tape unless your right up on it. There ARE still areas that are lighter in tone. You'd need to study some photos to determine which. Look closely at the photo above and you can see the nose cone, leading edges on the wings and stabs and there are a few other. But nothing like the early paint and tape, which is a jig saw puzzle. I kinda like the early version and am eventually going to try to do it using the Galaxy masks.

Edited by Mstor
  • 2 weeks later...

I painted my Meng F-35A with Mission Models FS36170 Have Glass Grey, looks amazing.  I can’t believe they captured the proper pigments, plenty of color chips in the mixture, went on flawlessly, really brought out the molded details on the airframe. I willl be ordering more for upcoming projects.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:45 PM, weirich1 said:

I found this image dated November 20, 2018 on F-16.net.  The two-tone paint is still being used just not all the RAM on the fuselage is present. 

IAF F-35i 921   14-291  11-20-18 at Lajes - Copy.jpg

The light isn this photo seems to highlight the panels edges as if they were raised.

• 7 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 7:41 PM, RichardL said:

Mission Models version is slightly too purple and too silvery:

pic07.jpg

On 12/5/2018 at 12:00 PM, weirich1 said:

I found this at Hobby Lobby today.  It actually looks close to FS36170, but Testors doesn't make it in a bottle, not practical for small areas nor touch-ups. 

342306_0518_CAH_3oz_CamoColors_CamoGray_480x480.jpg

My current build is Block 42 F-16, 89-2082, 180th Fighter Wing, using the Testors "Camo Gray" as the base coat for the MM FS36170.  I think it will produce outstanding results, fingers crossed.

PSA 8-16-19: The above Testors "Camo Gray" is not the darker gray I thought it was like the label ; it is "Camouflage Gray FS36622". Basically this sub-line of paint is ideal for Vietnam era paint schemes. I'll still use it as primer for FS36170; only cost me $4.50 for 3 cans. 

Edited by weirich1