Obsession with FS 36170: Who Got It Right?

5 hours ago, Eli Raphael said:

Anyone tried MRP - Camouflage Grey - FS36170?

See the first page of this thread. Richard checked a number of brands including MRPs. He made paint samples and tested them against FS color cards.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Great thread Richard!

My plan is to take your best three recommendations and compare them against the actual jets.   I work in the F-35 ITF program here at Pax.   Providing I can get them past FOD control!   Lol.

19 hours ago, mclare said:

My plan is to take your best three recommendations and compare them against the actual jets. 

Sweet deal 👍

I just took the picture below outdoors under direct sunlight:

have_glass_grays.png

I would say Hataka, MRP, and Gunze look pretty darn good.

I used mission models' FS36170 on my one an only F-35. I like it but it is too metallic.  The shelf life or the pain, or the thinner as some have surmised was also short.

I might try Gunze on my next F-35.

30 minutes ago, Blain said:

I used mission models' FS36170 on my one an only F-35. I like it but it is too metallic.  The shelf life or the pain, or the thinner as some have surmised was also short.

I might try Gunze on my next F-35.

I too find that the MM paint is too metallic.   The actual planes are not metallic at all.  There is some sheen in certain area, but that is more from wear than metallic bits in the paint.

3 hours ago, RichardL said:

Sweet deal 👍

I just took the picture below outdoors under direct sunlight:

I would say Hataka, MRP, and Gunze look pretty darn good.

I will order those paints now and spray samples and check.  I have the MM, but as I said, the jets are not metallic at all.

• 9 months later...

I know this is a pretty old thread, but these questions seemed to fit:

How are unit markings and stencils affected by the old HG I/II?

Is it a top coat that covers the base camo and markings?

What about the HTS pods on F-16's? I know the tanks got it, but I can't tell if the HTS pods did.

I'm specifically looking at SP 480th jets around Odyssey Dawn/New Dawn 2010/2011 time frame.

Thanks for all your effort on this investigation, it's a really interesting and helpful thread!

6 hours ago, Nate said:

I know this is a pretty old thread, but these questions seemed to fit:

How are unit markings and stencils affected by the old HG I/II?

Is it a top coat that covers the base camo and markings?

What about the HTS pods on F-16's? I know the tanks got it, but I can't tell if the HTS pods did.

I'm specifically looking at SP 480th jets around Odyssey Dawn/New Dawn 2010/2011 time frame.

Thanks for all your effort on this investigation, it's a really interesting and helpful thread!

The HTS pod and its mounting pylon remained in Neutral Gray.

Cheers,

Dennis

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone tried mixing a bronze pearlescent powder to clear to get the effect?  Spray over a gray base.  I’m an old custom car painter from way back in the ‘80’s.  We did things like this to highlight edges of flame jobs before spraying a candy top coat. 
something like this

https://kustompearls.com/shop/kandy-pearl-paint-colors/metallic-paint/bronze-copper-kandy-pearls/

Edited by Scott Smith
  • 3 months later...

Curious - the original Gunze RLM grey, did anyone try mixing in an Alclad II color? Curious if that would work. (I've used a drop of Gunze lacquer blue or red here and there to get a tint on Alclad II - for example, tiny bit of red added to steel can give a bit of heat & oxidation effect on piston engine exhausts.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 9:54 AM, Harrier/ViperFan said:

Has anyone tried the AK Have Glass paint yet?

I just sprayed my Kinetic F-16C with RC245 and it just seems way too light. The gray in the scrap piece underneath is gunship grey for reference.

John

C2982219-9579-4B20-AA02-EDFE50EDEAAC.jpeg