US Mk 82 vs Mk 83 bomb tails in 1/48

Question for the ordnance experts. Do the Mk 82 and Mk 83 bombs use the same tail section? I'd like to add some Mk 83s to my F/A-18, and I don't like the shape of the tail sections of the one in the Hasgeawa weapons set. They're too blunt and rounded, and would be more trouble than it's worth (to me ) to fix. I have Academy's F-4, which has some nice-looking Mk 82s with a more accurate-looking tail section and if they're the same, I'm hoping to swap tails. If the two types of bomb didn't use same tail section, are there any other, more accurate 1/48 Mk 83s available with the type of tail pictured below? I don't mind if they have the thermal coating or not. I can add it if necessary. 

(Image from here)

mk-83-980207-N-6895K-001.jpg

Thanks,

Ben

Short answer: No

Long Answer: the diameter of the bombs are different thus a Mk 82 Conical Fin is smaller and will not fit on a Mk 83 while the Mk 83 is larger and will not fit on a Mk 82. Also, the fins are different sizes (Mk 83's has bigger fins than the Mk 82's).

While they may look the same, the Mk 83 Conical Fin is bigger in all dimensions.

As to who make aftermarket Mk 83 Conical Fin Bombs, someone else is going to have to answer that one.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I figured it would be more complicated than splicing Mk 82 tails, but I thought I'd ask. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Eduard will release some by the time I get around to finishing the model.

Ben

3 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Thanks for the info, everyone! I figured it would be more complicated than splicing Mk 82 tails, but I thought I'd ask. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Eduard will release some by the time I get around to finishing the model.

Ben

What timeframe is your aircraft from? Are you building from pictures of a specific sortie? I'd consider seeing if another weapon that does have a proper representation could be used in place of the Mk83. Rockeyes, Paveways, Snakeyes, maybe even JDAMs if the timeframe is late enough? Or just Mk82s, they're always appropriate for the Hornet. :)