Has anyone ever run into trouble with these guys? I placed two orders in early January. The first arrived without problem, the second one didn't. I contacted them about a month after it was placed and they said that shipping to Canada sometimes runs into delays, and they asked that I wait until 35 business days have passed to see if the package would show up, which seemed reasonable.

It was at this point that the problems started. I waited a few days more than the 35, just to be sure it wouldn't show, at which time I wrote them to again say that nothing had arrived. They didn't reply. A week later, I wrote them again, this time much less polite, saying that the order was not fulfilled and again asking that they either resend or refund. That email got a response. The email from Hannnants appeared to be partly a forward from someone else, and partly written to me. It said that my package had been shipped, but that it had been returned to them as undeliverable. The tracking information was incomplete, but from what I could see, the package arrived in Canada in Toronto, but went no further. (I am in Winnipeg.) They said that, despite the package being returned, some of the items were no longer in stock and that they couldn't get more. 

At this point, I'm a bit confused. If the package was returned, why was I not refunded? I wrote to them that they could send me the items that were in stock, and that I would order something else to make up for the portion they could not provide. OrOr I would take a refund if that was deemed easier. Again, a week goes by, and again, no answer.

Yesterday, almost two months to the day since I placed the initial order, I wrote to them to ask why the process has been so drawn out and why they would not either refund me, or send me the order that I paid for months ago. At this point, I was ready to take the claim to Visa.

Today, with no communication from Hannants to explain whats going on, or to apologize,  they sent me a refund.

While I am made whole with the refund, I am certain that I will never deal with them again, and I wanted to post this as a warning to others. Prior to this, I had only heard good things, but their handling of the situation was beyond unacceptable. 

While it has been some time since I needed to place an order with them, I always had good luck with them.  I placed many orders over the years and always received what I ordered.  All of my orders were shipped either to Minnesota or Wisconsin.

While in the UK in 2014 I met some of their staff at a couple air shows and they were always pleasant and knowledgeable.

I've dealt with Hannant's for years and live in London, Ont. but I pay extra for signature on delivery because I use PayPal. Your package made it to Toronto and more than likely had the address label damaged so it sat for 10 days then returned to Hannant's.  But your right if they got it back they should have re-sent it after checking your order number.

Don

Agreed. What gets me is not the mix-up with the package but their reluctance to communicate about it. It was an honest mistake, and my order wasn't worth a large amount of money, so why they should seem to resist helping is beyond me. 

I heard on other forums that there is trouble currently with the Canadian postal service? I have heard that some UK and Eu companies are ATM reluctant to send stuff without insurance due to massive delays to postal items -might this be the actual problem?

Having dealt with Hannants many times (I live in UK) I have always found them helpful.

Well, I am unaware of any postal issues, and have had stuff delivered on a pretty regular basis from around the world. Additionally, it was Hannants themselves that told me the package had been returned to them. There was obviously a mix up with shipping, and that wouldn't be a big deal on its own, but why avoid answering emails? Why not issue a refund or contact me when the package was returned? This could have been resolved weeks ago with little effort.

Edited by Specter1075

I have ordered at least 30 times from Hannants and never had a problem receiving the package, the most recent being sent February 27th and arriving March 8th of this year with a more recent one (March 3rd) on the way. There has never been a postal problem (Knock on wood). However there was a problem once where I was sent the wrong item (two product numbers very similar got mixed up) and I did have a bit of a problem sorting that out but eventually I sent back the wrong item and they sent the right and gave me a credit towards my next order for the postage I used to send it back. All worked out in the end but I did find that they were not very good dealing with their e-mails and whoever handles that part of their work seemed slow to respond and not particularly swift or helpful so there certainly could be some improvement there but otherwise I am quite happy with them and what happened to you seems very out of the ordinary from what I've seen and heard. If you are a member of Hyperscale's Forum I would repeat your story over there as David Hannant is a regular there and I'm sure would like to hear of your problem. I would also be prepared to give them a second chance as they are usually very good but sometimes sh*t happens.

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers Bruce!

I'll see about giving them another chance. It does seem like my situation is not the norm. I'm not a member of Hyperscale, actually. I'll check them out. I may hold off on posting there too though, just because I don't want to seem like I have a vendetta. 

That sounds like a pretty reasonable position to take and good luck.

People often post here asking for opinions of new Mail Order places they haven't tried yet so I suggest you try that before ordering from a new place. I recently found a shop in Hong Kong that has amazing service for products originating over there based on others here using them.

P.S. I lived in Winnipeg from 1967 to 1972 and still visit every year or so and know that you don't have a huge selection locally so you have to consider mail order.  

Edited by RCAFFAN

Thanks again! Which HK spot have you discovered? I've only been in Winnipeg for a couple years now, and you're right, there is not much here unfortunately. I do try to support Cellar Dweller as much as I can, but they don't tend to have the kits I'd want for reasonable prices. It's hard to overlook a 50% markup. So I do tend to buy a lot online.

You should checkout Tiger Hobbies in Winnipeg in the Westwood area lots of stuff and deal only in Plastic no RC or Railway although there is a Railway shop around the corner Warehouse Hobbies. Tiger has Tamiya, Hasegawa, Eduard Meng Takom, Hobby Boss,Trumpeter etc.

Ken 

Edited by KenM

I live in the UK and used to deal more or less solely with Hannants, however over a few years they became less reliable, introduced stupid postal policies, stock issues and lack of communication has seen me more or less shop everywhere but here now.

I’ve never had a problem with Hannants.

I think you dealt with it well too.

I also have to say, at least it ended with you getting your money back. A lot of these disputes don’t end that way. This was just a little delayed.