Opinions on 747-400 kits

Looking for feedback on the 1/144 747-400 kits that are available on the market right now.

Previously I had the RoG  British Airways 744 kit that I was building to do a KLM bird using Draw Decals KLM sheet. I had swapped engines w/ another member to get the appropriate Rolls Royce engines.

The kit was a real pig but I managed to put quite a bit of work into it, making it halfway decent, but after a failed move in September the kit was badly warped due to being left in a hot car, and I gave up on it.

I'd like to restart the project b/c I have the engines and the decals, but was looking for opinions on what would be a good starting point. I've seen the new(?) Ed Force One 744 kit, and was wondering on the quality of this kit, and whether the RR engines I have would fit it w/o too much trouble, or if there's another kit out there that would be a good place for me to start up again.

Hello Adam

I have been toying with the idea for doing an "Ed Force One" as well and have been searching the web for a week now. The Revell 747-400 model is really not the best start. My (to be) "Ed" will be made of a cut down 747-8I, either Revell or Zvezda. The conversion is easy and since you have bit left of your Revell -400 (winglets?) you should be fine. The RR engines I am sure can be mounted to the -8 kit as well.

cheers

Uwe

I did some searching last night, and apparently the Ed Force One 744 kit is based off the same tool as the BA kit I originally used, and that tool for that kit was originally released in 1993, so I'm sure it's long in the tooth now, and probably only getting worse.

The same page showed the 748 kit, and the tool for the 748 kit was released in 2012, so it did get me thinking about that, but I wasn't sure what differences there were between the 2, and what would need to be done. I do have the first kit I started still. If I need the winglets, I'll have to cut them off the old kit, but that's probably not a huge deal.

Hello Adam

Since you already have your RR engines and the winglets...I think it's a no brainer what to do. Here is a threat of the Airliner forum that explaines and shows all that is needed. It's really an easy task. The -800 wings can also easily be modified.

http://airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=10468

Over here in germany the donar kits like the Zvezda -800i are rather cheap. Revell is the same, 25EUR gets you a new kit.

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de