CD48137 - 1/48 EKA-3B Skywarrior

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic news.  My EKA is up next and I was just lamenting the lack of any aftermarket decals.   Can’t wait to see artwork for your subjects.    Hopefully you’ll have guidance on whether your subjects  had / didn’t have the fuselage antenna housings.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It took me a long time to sell most of the the first two A-3 sheets I made. I am afraid that there is not much love for this kit among modelers - it needs a few corrections, and it may be a bit too big for most collections. The EKA-3B will be the only Caracal sheet for the Skywarrior for the next couple of years, but I will consider other subjects in the future.

Edited by KursadA

Speaking for myself here, I know that I've hesitated to get into the A-3 kits because I have heard that the boxings and what you can actually build don't match up.  I know there are aftermarket sets from Steel Beach to help you build the versions you want that rely on different base kits.  But it isn't really clear what base kit and what aftermarket you need to build a particular version of the Skywarrior.  Since I don't really know where to begin, I just don't bother.

Maybe it would help if there was a list for each of the Skywarrior versions of what base kit you need and what aftermarket?

Chris

On 5/29/2018 at 9:20 PM, Chris D said:

Speaking for myself here, I know that I've hesitated to get into the A-3 kits because I have heard that the boxings and what you can actually build don't match up.  I know there are aftermarket sets from Steel Beach to help you build the versions you want that rely on different base kits.  But it isn't really clear what base kit and what aftermarket you need to build a particular version of the Skywarrior.  Since I don't really know where to begin, I just don't bother.

Maybe it would help if there was a list for each of the Skywarrior versions of what base kit you need and what aftermarket?

Chris

Chris, the A-3’s are incredibly confusing.  If you are interested in the issues w the EKA, I’ve got a thread in the Jet Forum that has some good info.   It also touches a bit on other variants.   If you don’t find what you are looking for, put out a post.  There are some helpful folks on that forum who can prob assist. 

This is a very good suggestion - I will try to distill some information from the aforementioned threads, Tailhook Topics, and other sources to clarify which kit can be used for what version; and post it somewhere. I've been meaning to start a Caracal Models blog to post such information and this would be a good first post?

Edited by KursadA
2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Chris, the A-3’s are incredibly confusing.  If you are interested in the issues w the EKA, I’ve got a thread in the Jet Forum that has some good info.   It also touches a bit on other variants.   If you don’t find what you are looking for, put out a post.  There are some helpful folks on that forum who can prob assist. 

I think that would be a really good blog topic if you were willing to lay the bag of snakes out for us.  The Skywarrior falls into the category of models I'd like to build but I don't know enough to even figure out where to begin.  I know that for me, I'd go out and buy the decals and the Steel Beach sets if I had some idea of what I'd need.

The topic on the EKA-3B is a good example of what I'm hoping for.  What base kit, what aftermarket, and what other changes in order to make the different Skywarrior versions.  I'd like to build two Skywarrior models, but I've stayed away because of all the confusion.

Chris

This sheet will be released in mid-August and have the following four options.

-EKA-3B BuNo. 142664 VAQ-134 NE/616, USS Ranger - 1971

-EKA-3B BuNo. 142251 VAQ-130 AE/012, USS F.D. Roosevelt - 1970

-EKA-3B BuNo. 142659 VAQ-129 NP/616, USS Hancock - 1970

-EKA-3B BuNo. 147655 VAQ-133 NH/614, USS Kitty Hawk - 1971

There is a second, all-black sheet (not shown) with serial numbers, other black markings etc. You also get the wing walkways sheet that was also included in my previous A-3 sets.

Sorry, no profiles yet since the sheet is more than two months away. I will post them once done, but these are all well-known schemes with many photos available online.

cd48137.jpg

Edited by KursadA

EKA-3B BuNo. 142659 VAQ-129 NP/616, USS Hancock - 1970

Woohoo!  I'm back in the fight for my USS Hancock build with 2x F-8Js, & 3x A-4F Skyhawks, and now an EKA-3B!  VA-164 Lady Jesse is done! 

Edited by Dutch
7 hours ago, 11bee said:

Nice selections Kursad!  Is it me or does the 2nd subject have a dark grey anti glare panel instead of the standard black one?  

It actually looks black to me - I think it may be just the lighting. Pretty much all of the anti glare panels I have seen on EKA/KA-3B's at this period are black. 

More info on this sheet later - as I mentioned, this is not due to be released before mid August.

Edited by KursadA

Alas...no Midway/CV-41 aircraft. Between this sheet though and the Furball sheet I can probably cobble something together, but between all those sheets, not a single Midway aircraft.  Seems like the only sheet out there is the one with the Trumpeter kit. 

I think she's the most unloved of the modern carriers....as far as aftermarket goes, unless it's a Phantom, A-6/7 or MIG killing skyraider. Other than that you are  bit high and dry.

For a ton of cool Skyraider pics, check out this japanese site, scroll to the bottom and then continue the next few pages...

http://www.gonavy.jp/bbs1/index.cgi?page:170=v

15 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Alas...no Midway/CV-41 aircraft. Between this sheet though and the Furball sheet I can probably cobble something together, but between all those sheets, not a single Midway aircraft.  Seems like the only sheet out there is the one with the Trumpeter kit. 

I have nothing against that fine ship, and it's not my fault that their EKA-3B unique markings were limited to a simple NF on the tail and nothing else. While the idea of an "equal opportunity decal sheet" is noble, it is colorful markings that sell a decal sheet.

Looks like all you will need is an "NF", a ""VAQ-130 DET 2" and some numbers. They did not even bother painting the ship's name on the aircraft, but I will include that as well. The VAQ-130 badge is already on the sheet. I have some space on the black sheet; and this being an August release; there is still some time before I finalize the design and send them to be printed. I will see what I can do.

12974.jpg

Edited by KursadA
8 hours ago, KursadA said:

I have nothing against that fine ship, and it's not my fault that their EKA-3B unique markings were limited to a simple NF on the tail and nothing else. While the idea of an "equal opportunity decal sheet" is noble, it is colorful markings that sell a decal sheet.

Looks like all you will need is an "NF", a ""VAQ-130 DET 2" and some numbers. They did not even bother painting the ship's name on the aircraft, but I will include that as well. The VAQ-130 badge is already on the sheet. I have some space on the black sheet; and this being an August release; there is still some time before I finalize the design and send them to be printed. I will see what I can do.

12974.jpg

Wow, Kursad that would be awesome. I do understand you position, colorful markings sell, and well, the midway did go through a rather drab period....but it seems like she gets skipped over more times than not. The A-3b in the late 50s off the Midway were more colorful, and later the bat heads had some unique tail markings...

I'm going to dump a bunch of pics in your suggestions thread over the next few days of colorful midway schemes that have yet ( to my knowledge) been done. 😀