F-15C, 1/48 Revell (Monogram)

Ok so, the argument for building the old monogram F-15C is that you can buy about 4 of these for the price of a Hasegawa/GWH one in the same scale.  According to (somewhere deep in the internet that I have long forgotten), this kit is also arguably the best shape and outline representing the real thing, though many also say that it is only correct for an -A version.  To boot, the latest rerelease has some striking decals.

However, the cons of this kit is long and distinguished.  Old raised lines.  Cockpit fit takes some remedy to sit level.  The forward/rear fuselage joint takes a lot of filler.  The intakes make absolutely no sense from a modern modeler's point of view.  The right wing root needs material ground off with a dremel to make it sit flush.  Moderate to severe amounts of flash on some pieces.  Detail areas are not so great.  Etc etc...

Despite all the cons, I have some affinity and nostalgia with this kit since I first built one when I was 12 years old back in 1997.  I figured it would also be a good cheap exercise in basic modeling skills.  The only updates will be MSIPII paint scheme and decals, and borrowing some AIM-120's from an F-22 kit.  I don't know too much about the F-15 upgrade differences so I will leave it be, but feel free time chime in if you know what they are.  I mainly want to focus on a good paint job and worry little about the nuance details.  Also, I'm not a fan of flashy decorative paint schemes and markings.  I prefer the squadron level/low visability schemes of operational jets, the kind that often carry live ordnance with those yellow stripes.  Below is the decal sheet I will pick from.  I've ruled out the Nellis/WA/OT options.  I'm leaning towards the FF tailcode since I believe that is also an F-22 base.  I'd imagine the ZZ tailcode carries live ordnance too since it is a forward airbase.

I'm not going to bore you with too many constructions pics since it is mostly OOTB

39960744605_438bd6431a_c.jpgIMG_20180310_055948_011 by Jesse Flauta, on Flickr

40854793121_6e7d559b58_c.jpg20180317_011950 by Jesse Flauta, on Flickr

40854793921_4e7e8dbc67_c.jpg20180317_011918 by Jesse Flauta, on Flickr

40854792651_ff573d46c9_c.jpg20180317_012414 by Jesse Flauta, on Flickr

I have fond memories of building the old Monogram F-15. I remember getting Microscale's (I think) data and stencil sheet for it that all the panel numbers. I applied every last one of them. I must have been crazy at the time. Looked great in the end. Anyway, you're off to a good start. Looking forward to watching this oldie but goodie take shape.

• 4 weeks later...

Despite the Monogram F-15 being a construction bear (I found the few I've built to be absolute fit nightmares..warped molds likely to blame, tons of flash, etc). 

However, it is actually, in terms of shape, the most accurate of ALL 1/48 Eagle kits. GWH and Hasegawa both have shape errors that Monogram nailed exactly. 

4 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Nice job, Jessirelli!   Hi Jonathan, I'm interested to know what areas Hasegawa and GWH got wrong.  I'd like to build a 1/48 F-15 someday.  Thanks!

Yes, where did GWH get it wrong? 

Right off the top of my head..

I know the nose profile on the GWH F-15C is still slightly off, as it's a bit  too oval..but better than the first release of the B/D. The canopy profile is a bit off, as it's a bit flatter and more angled than it should be. 

In terms of shape accuracy:

Monogram-GWH-Hasegawa

In terms of details accuracy:

GWH-Hasegawa-Monogram

In terms of Fit:

GWH-Hasegawa-Monogram