Finish for Bare Metal Foil?

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2018 at 9:03 PM, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

I'm going to be applying adhesive backed foil to a painted surface. Would it matter whether it was applied to a glossy finish or a flat finish if it's rubbed down anyway? 

Yes, if it's laid over a flat surface there's a chance the foil will raise off the surface of the model at some point. The adhesive can be inconsistent as to how tacky it is. If it's laid over smooth surface there is less risk of it lifting at some point.

• 4 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Thanks. I applied it over the existing glossy finish and it laid down great, and I've sealed it with Future. I'll mask off the foil with sticky notes to apply a final flat finish. 

I have been using Bare Metal Foil for years. I always apply it over bare plastic. A primer is not necessary. Why are you sealing the foil with Future and then painting it with a flat clear coat? The main reason for using a foil finish is to duplicate the appearance of  real metal. Once the foil is painted it looks like a painted finish., not a natural metal finish.

Following are photos of my latest build, a 1/48 Monogram B-24J. The finish is Bare Metal Foil.

PpdcGyR.jpg?1

77cOBTo.jpg?1

HueyZIu.jpg?1

briFb9u.jpg?1

Edited by Johnny_K

That's a beautiful job. Wish I could see it in person. Bare metal finishes are almost hypnotic. In my case, I was putting down colored candy foil wrapper to simulate a lighted section, not actual bare metal fuselage. I glossed it and then overlaid grill decals and sealed that. It worked fine but the section was so small that the effect was underwhelming. 

The majority of the panels are DMF Matte Aluminum. A few of the panels are BMF Chrome to add visual interest. I also rotate the natural grain of the BMF on some of the panels. It is possible to enhance the grain by lightly stroking the BMY with 0000 steel wool.