The last post about their server move was mid-March. I would think they are done with it, but if they are still working on it that could cause problems. I haven't noticed any problems myself. But, depending on which DNS servers your Internet provider uses, it may take a little time for updated IP address to propagate, though it usually doesn't take more than a day for that to happen. If your DNS server has not gotten the updated addresses, then you would get the "Address not found" type errors.

It has been a problem for some folks for weeks.  It seems that people having the problem are in mostly in the US.  I have tried four different browsers (brave, IE, chrome, firefox) on 3 different devices over several ISP's with no dice.  I was able to access it once Friday of last week then back to the can't connect to server message.  Not sure what the problem is or even if they are aware of it.  Most responses from people is that is a user issue.  It is not.

Edited by ridinshotgun

It obviously not a user or browser issue. More likely it is a ISP (Internet Service Provider) problem. Probably has to do with the DNS servers they use. If you know how, you might try changing your DNS servers. Here is a Google search that lists some free DNS servers.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=free+dns+servers

Here is a Google search on how to change the DNS servers on your PC:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+to+change+dns

One thing, before you change your DNS servers, write down the addresses for the ones that are there already. They are usually the ones provided by your ISP automatically.

Totally agree with Mstor!  Nine times out of 10, if I get that message, it has to do with the DNS server.  Sometimes I can just reset my cable modem and correct the problem, as I then get a new "lease" or connection.

Ed

I have not been able to connect to their web site for about two weeks. I cannot connect using my Mac laptop, my Dell desktop of my smartphone. I even went to a FedEx store and tried to connect using their computers. No deal!! When I try to connect via my smartphone I get this error message: ERR NAME NOT RESOLVED. I went to their Facebook page and sent Mike a message describing the problem. He asked me for my username. That was four days ago.

Edited by Johnny_K

I also tried to access it with a change in my DNS server and it is a no go.  It looks like it is trying to access the website servers and the TLS handshake is getting no response or one it doesn't like.  I have a feeling something got wonky when they did the server upgrade a few weeks ago since this problem started happening around the same time.

Edited by ridinshotgun

I have posted a message on Britmodeler asking if they know of any problems or have had any reports of problems like yours. I described the errors you are getting and what has been done to try to resolve the issue. Let's hope someone over there has some answers. I will update you if and when I get any response.

I was wondering if those who are having this problem could let me know which provider they get their Internet access from (like AT&T, Time-Warner, or some local provider, though they usually contract with the larger providers). The reason I am asking is that sometimes ISPs will block ranges of IP address if they have been reported as being used by spammers or the like. If not that it might be the DNS servers being used by those ISPs. I use Spectrum and have had no problems connecting to Britmodeler.

I have tried it on xfinity (comcast), at&t and verizon and a couple of locations that I don't know who the ISP was but I think one was COX.  I checked again today and verizon works now, both on the phone and laptop.  But still no dice on AT&T or Xfinity.

Over on another board someone said that BM had blacklisted their Verizon ISP a while back due to some security concerns but they got it working again after a lot of work from the owner of BM.  Based on that historyI have a sneaking suspicion the same kind of thing happened after the server work last month and some ISP are now blacklisted.

I'm still waiting for my conformation. I e mailed using 2 different e mail servers explaining I was not Spam. I joined a few days ago but it seems to take forever. Hoping the site isn't that slow. It looks like a good place. I have a screen name and can get on but not allowed to post.---John

Britmodeller blacklisting ISPs? That just doesn't make sense to me. I suppose if said ISPs were not supporting up to date security, but these days I thought that was taken care of at the browser/server connection level using TLS/HTTPS. If Britmodeller is blacklisting ISPs then I would hope one of the admins would chime in here and confirm or deny.

Britmodeller did not blacklist ISPs, it was the other way around, we had problems with various US ISPs in the past though none currently we are aware of.

In addition due to a couple of factors the planned server upgrade is still scheduled. We have had messages from a couple of people who cant connect and are looking into it. This does seem to be a problem with ISPs conntecting to the site as the vast majority of users have no problems.

Until the techey people report back its in their hands.

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)
10 minutes ago, Julien (UK) said:

Britmodeller did not blacklist ISPs, it was the other way around, we had problems with various US ISPs in the past though none currently we are aware of.

Thanks for the update. I knew that didn't sound right. I thought it might be the ISP blacklisting IP ranges. Ilias over at The48ers has had problems with Earthlink (my e-mail provider) blocking addresses used by their e-mail servers and none of their e-mails would get through to me. Usually just takes them contacting Earthlink to get the address unblocked.

Edited by Mstor
13 hours ago, Mstor said:

I was wondering if those who are having this problem could let me know which provider they get their Internet access from (like AT&T, Time-Warner, or some local provider, though they usually contract with the larger providers). The reason I am asking is that sometimes ISPs will block ranges of IP address if they have been reported as being used by spammers or the like. If not that it might be the DNS servers being used by those ISPs. I use Spectrum and have had no problems connecting to Britmodeler.

Hi Mstor! Thanks for taking a look at this problem. Like many others, I have not been able to access Britmodeller for at least the last week. I have tried different browsers and both desktop and laptop computers with no luck. I am using ATT as the provider. 

I definitely miss my Britmodeller fix! 🙂

Have fun modeling

Mike

Gents anyone who is having problems can you message me on here;

Please include your BM user name, IP address and ISP, we are trying to get to the bottom of this and I dont want to fill Steve's forums with BM stuff.

Thx

Julien

5 hours ago, Julien (UK) said:

Gents anyone who is having problems can you message me on here;

Please include your BM user name, IP address and ISP, we are trying to get to the bottom of this and I dont want to fill Steve's forums with BM stuff.

Thx

Julien

Julien,

Many PC users will not know how to find their IP address and if they do, unless they connect directly to a single port modem they will be getting the IP address assigned by their local network's DHCP server which would not be useful for your purposes. If they connect on a phone or pad they would be getting the IP address from their local WiFi router and the same problem would apply. What you need is the IP address that the ISP assigns to the modem for connection to the Internet. Unless the users know how to login to their modems, they will not be able to provide you with useful information.

Mark

Gents from the replies we have had this looks like an issue with people you use AT&T or Bellsouth as their ISP.

We are looking into it, but if you contact your ISP as well it might help.

Julien

SWBELL/AT&T members of Britmodeller.

If you're unable to visit the site in the last week or two, it seems that our server's IP has been blocked, and we're attempting to find a way to resolve it.

If you're tech-savvy enough to help out with a tracing of the route to see where it's blocked, you can do the following:

From Windows, Open up a Command window/DOS Prompt (type cmd <ENTER> from your start menu's Run item) and type the following:

tracert britmodeller.com

Mac and Linux users should open a Terminal window and type the following:

traceroute britmodeller.com

The screen will scroll along for a bit as the data hops between router after router, and will either end in a failure with some timeouts or get to the britmodeller.com server

Once it's finished, if you can copy and paste the details and forward them to me in a message, and we'll send the info on to our Support people. 

Thx 

Julien