8 hours ago, cag_200 said:

10 survivors of that ship made it.  In 30 seconds the ship sunk.    I hope for more pictures to see.

The worst part of the story is that a good number made it off the ship before it went down.  The US fleet couldn’t stop to recover survivors.  After a week, they returned and only found a handful of guys in the water.   Sharks and exposure claimed everyone else.   

I seem to recall that two of the Sullivan brothers survived the sinking but sadly died in the water waiting for rescue.  There was some speculation that one was perhaps killed by a shark but I have only read that in passing and never seen anything concrete on that. Another great find.

As an aside but related, you can tour the USS The Sullivan's, a Fletcher Class Destroyer commissioned in the brothers honor in 1943 in Buffalo New York:

img_0?1404394592

There is also a Cruiser (USS Little Rock) and an F-101B Voodoo to tour and gaze at. My Son and I have been there a couple times and its worth the visit if you are in the area.

Regards.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Joe Hegedus said:

Guys are on a roll.  Hornet and Wasp next maybe?

I believe Hornet is on the list.