Sheet Metal Construction Advice

In addition to models, I am an avid flight simulator nerd.  I've moved to a new setup and have to fabricate a way to mount to control panels to the back of a keyboard tray.  The picture below is of the two modules sitting on the tray I want to mount them to the back of and elevated a bit above the tray (to leave room for the keyboard):

5ab1582d04449_KeyboardTray.jpg.6cd1939580c939ac4800c46491a7bf71.jpg

I had initially been planning on just letting a fabricator do this and drew this up in CAD.  The plan was to mount it to the tray at the rear, and mount hte modules in the top portions.

5ab15523db76a_MCPEFISHousing.thumb.jpg.a2b078cfda76dc6efc3b97e53da0b36c.jpg

Unfortunately, because of the prototype nature, it has returned with quotes of $3-400, so I am going do make this on my own.  I'm going to simplify it a bit, removing the cutouts in the back with bent "shelves", but same basic concept.  I was hoping someone here could give me a few points of advice.

First, any throughts on use of stainless steel vs aluminum.  I've been leaning towards aluminum due to weight, but either way should not be too troublesome.

Second, any thoughts on gauge or thickness.  I've been looking at 0.05" thinking with the folds, that'll be stiff enough.  However, I've not done any FEA or other analysis to be sure of this.

Third, any tips for this project?

Edited by ESzczesniak

My suggestion is use aluminum.  Stainless steel is hard to work unless you have a lot of experience and the right tools.  As far as gauge, probably go with .010 aluminum, that should be stiff enough by the time you have the edges and cut-outs bent back.  You might also want to look at a "stucco" finished aluminum instead of a smooth finish.  Stucco will reduce reflections if you leave it natural finish and look like a nice machined finish if you paint it.  In that gauge aluminum,  you should have no problem making all the needed bends using a hand break. 

HTH, Dave