Display Case vs. aircraft sub-forums

Am I the only one who gets irritated when people post photos of their completed models in the Props or Jets sub-forums? Would there be a way to direct people's attention to one or the other of the finished model locations?

You can't fix stupid.

If you try to idiot-proof something, you just end up complicating things for those who already know how to do it. 

Besides, if you idiot-proof - they'll just build a better idiot ;) 

Edited by RKic

Getting annoyed with where people post pictures on a webforum is sure important.

Perhaps the "culprits" don't like the rules for that subforum? that may be a consideration. English is not everyones native tongue, that is also a big consideration. Not everyone's reading comprehension is super strong, that is yet another consideration. Age of poster? More to consider.

All I'm trying to say, is complaining about something inconsequential on a small forum on the internet is really not much to do.

40 minutes ago, Winnie said:

Getting annoyed with where people post pictures on a webforum is sure important.

Perhaps the "culprits" don't like the rules for that subforum? that may be a consideration. English is not everyones native tongue, that is also a big consideration. Not everyone's reading comprehension is super strong, that is yet another consideration. Age of poster? More to consider.

All I'm trying to say, is complaining about something inconsequential on a small forum on the internet is really not much to do.

+1. This place has been dead. Anything breathes some life into it. Things around here used to be a lot more stimulating.

Relax,  I'm still getting amused by all the 'good job' comments, when all they are trying to say is  'I like that colour scheme/decal set'.  Forgetting to look at the actual construction/painting of the model.

Keep it up folks  :)

Tony

ummm....ok. but isn't the props or jets sub-forums designed to discuss things like, oh I don't know, prop and jet models? Sometimes someone just wants to discuss things that may be about a completed model. Is it really such a crime to do that? I mean, really...who cares as long as it's a discussion forum about models, completed, boxed, stacked, painted or just planned. Discuss amongst yourselves....here's a topic...Models..:rolleyes:

Bill

13 hours ago, seawinder said:

Am I the only one who gets irritated when people post photos of their completed models in the Props or Jets sub-forums?

You are not the only one.  It bugs the hell out of me.

Thanks for the responses. My OP was not meant as a rhetorical question, nor as a rant in disguise. I know it's a really trivial matter in the grand scheme of things, yet I do get annoyed when it happens. Now I know that I'm not alone, and that's really all I wanted to find out.

So here's something else I wonder about, also related to posting finished model pics: How do people feel about posting the same pics to more than one website? For myself, I nearly always start a thread at Hyperscale's Plastic Pics when I've finished a model, and I don't generally post anywhere else because it seems a bit like trophy-bagging.

Cheers,

Pip

Pip, I don't see that last one as trophy-bagging. As long as a person is a member of those forums, that is. Sometimes we do see the same model on different forums, but, to me that is fine. If a person is not a member of HS or 1/72, and the same model is on here, at least members of the different forums will get to see it. (expand my example to include all the forums, I did not intentionally leave any forum out)

If I were only on ARC and 1/72, and a 1/32 Jenny was posted on LSP, I'd never see it if it wasn't cross-posted.

Edited by Rex
wrong forum in example

Trophy bagging? :rolleyes: I take it as wanting to get as much feedback as possible in hopes to either a: learn as much as they can from as many sources as possible b: sharing their work experience with as many as they can or possibly even c: for those that build on commission, getting their work out there to as many different eye sets as possible. Any of the above to me is legitimate reason to post on multiple forums. Also, ever if it were "trophy bagging", hey if it's worthy of the praise then why not?. Go for it. Unfortunately my models are rarely if ever worthy of that. :cheers:

1 hour ago, Snowbird3a said:

I've been known to put a model on ARC, HS, Britmodeller at the same time.   Nobody has complained yet.

Tony

I do the same thing, because not everyone visits the same sites.  Not bragging.  Issue I have is most of the sites don't take a direct entry of data from one to the other (HS being older). 

Collin

Perhaps there are too many categories/sub-forums to choose from or some that get low traffic and maybe some amalgamation could help? This may work well with some of the non-aircraft categories. 

For example, in the armor section combine the WWII Allied and Axis into just "WWII Vehicles and Figures". Do the same with the "Cold War" and "Modern" categories and call it "Post WWII to Present". Move "Tyres n Tracks", "Tips and Tricks", and "Research and Reference" and incorporate them within the armor "General Discussion"... this would allow far better views/hits for peoples questions and comments.

I am sure the same condensing could occur within each current category/sub-forum on ARC, including those that focus on aircraft. Even just combining a few sub-categories may increase views and hits and may help some folks get their posts in the right area.

As has already been mentioned above, traffic (or rather active participation) around here has been seemingly dwindling the last while. Perhaps downsizing, condensing, amalgamating...whatever...may help people get quicker answers to their questions and help people post in the right area?

Merely a suggestion and food for thought.

Regards,

Don

3 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

WARNING: Thread drift.

Can we also talk about vague subject lines? For example:

Tell me why

What color would...

Help wanted

LINK

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

That's classic click bait technique. News organizations use it all the time. It's human nature to want to solve the mystery. So people tend to want to do this at times as well when they post threads. Granted it's not the most polite way to post....but I don't mind it too much. To me personally, it's less annoying than the "teacher you didn't pick up our homework" kind of post or "they aren't following the rules...." post. For some reason, and I get that it's my problem and shouldn't bother me so much since I'm basically preaching live and let live, but those irk me most I think.

Bill

Well...perhaps it is time to consolidate the forums into a smaller number? Time to re-classify a bunch? Just a thought.

We've never quite recovered from when we were offline for, what was that, a month or so...and speaking for myself, I have been in a LOT less than I used to, due to personal situations plus I'm building a lot less for the first time in my life....

The forum is slowly recovering after the shutdown, new faces show and old reappears, just cut each other some slack... just report posts if you feel they are misplaced and I'm sure the ops team will move them if you are that bothered.

Let's be as welcoming as possible and make this place as big as it used to be. :D

I think the slow down is kind of a combination of many factors. I know for me personally, I've never really come back as much as before the "crash" but also, and probably a bigger part of it, is when photobucket did their crummy thing and killed all the images. I realize there are alternatives but I just haven't mustered up the energy or drive to look for an alternate way to post images....yet. I will iikely get back into it stronger...but just not there yet.

Bill

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

I think the slow down is kind of a combination of many factors. I know for me personally, I've never really come back as much as before the "crash" but also, and probably a bigger part of it, is when photobucket did their crummy thing and killed all the images. I realize there are alternatives but I just haven't mustered up the energy or drive to look for an alternate way to post images....yet. I will iikely get back into it stronger...but just not there yet.

Bill

The PB thing really killed it for me too. It took me like 7 or 8 months to recover... 

I also very strongly believe we have way too many subforums. Not just that, there are too many forums for finished models as well. I really don't see the point for having both Display Case and Critique Forum and even less individual finished model forums for cars, tanks and ships etc.

If I remember correctly, in the old days everything was posted in to one and only finished models forum. I think it worked just fine and "other" models never stole the limelight from the aviation related stuff. Now we have forums for all these non-aviation models but the finished models get buried somewhere without getting the attention they would deserve. 

If we had just one forum for all finished models, would it really diminish the attention the aircraft and choppers get?  This being an aviation forum they would still constitute the vast majority of the models presented here.