CD48139 - 1/48 F-111A

16 hours ago, Air Pirate said:

For the S E Asia birds, at least the external part of the Vulcan installation would be needed.  You resin guys need to support Kursad's work! Hint, hint.

Does this part exist in the Hobby Boss F-111 kits? Is there any aftermarket resin alternative?

Re Kurdad's post on the Hobby Boss F-111A kit, there is no gun pod.  One of the older kits (I don't remember which one) had the "bulge" that was still visible when the weapons bay doors were closed. If you wanted them open, you'd need to build the whole gun system.  Also, according to Jim Rotramel's F-111 Weapon  Load Description on the web, the Combat Lancer F-111s carried an AIM-9 on a trapese in the right side of the weapons bay.  I've never found any resin.  Sorry to intrude on your thread, but maybe a resin guy will read this, and the guys with scratch building skills can do their own thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 10:01 PM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Anyone know if the MO jets were in  Vietnam?

No!  On 30 June 1972, the 366th TFW was inactivated at Da Nang Air Base, being reactivated at Takhli Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand the same day flying a mix of F-4D/Es. The 366th TFW was inactivated on 31 October 1972, being reactivated the same day without personnel or equipment at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. The 366th was reassigned without personnel or equipment to replace the 347th TFW. At Mountain Home, the wing was assigned the 389th, 390th, and 391st Tactical Fighter Squadrons which had returned from Vietnam, joined the 347th, and began converting to the F-111F aircraft. 

Operations continued unchanged for several years. The wing tested its readiness in August 1976 when a border incident in South Korea prompted the United States to augment its military contingent in South Korea as a show of force. The 366th deployed a squadron of 20 F-111 fighters. They reached Korea only 31 hours after receiving launch notification. Tensions eased shortly afterward and the detachment returned home.

In 1977, the Air Force sent the F-111F aircraft from Mountain Home to the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing at RAF Lakenheath, England, in a move to modernize its European forces. In return, the 366th received F-111A aircraft from Nellis AFB, Nevada, where they equipped the 389th and 391st Squadrons.  On 1 July 1981, Air Force activated the 388th Electronic Combat Squadron to receive the newly modified EF-111A Ravens. However, a year later, Air Force redesignated the 390th Tactical Fighter Squadron as the 390th Electronic Combat Squadron, which replaced the 388th and began serving as the wing's only EF-111A squadron. Operations throughout the early 1980s remained stable with the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing training F-111A and EF-111A aircrews while maintaining combat readiness in both aircraft.

So you see, the war in Vietnam was over before the 366th received F-111As.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought it from the site eventually, by the time it reaches hannants they are behind brexit walls. The HB A has gun nor bulges for the gun. The academy kit has the bulge, but crude. My A is progressing (slant 4 with suu 30), will be ship 037 from sheet mentioned. Suu and alq 87 from eduard, bru from oz. I won’t fix the canopy, gun i’ve not made up my mind yet. They were carrying that missle all the time ? I just wish tamiya made a vark...

On 12/25/2019 at 5:04 AM, Niels said:

AIM-9's can only be fitted to Aussie F-111C, and USAF F-111E/F's, not the A. Atleast couldn't during the VietNam war.  

check out this thread regarding A models and sidewinders:

• 1 year later...