Johnny’s Grand 1/72 launch vehicle build extravaganza

Finally found some isopropyl alcohol last night, so I might just get started with my initial prints this weekend.  Still waiting on some parts for a UV curing station, but I guess I can use the Sun for curing the first few prints as they'll likely not be usable anyway.  It will be nice to actually learn by doing rather than by theory.

I won't be printing this engine bell but it is nice to know that a flat placement and larger supports will work.  I was thinking cleaning supports from the inside of the bell would be far more difficult than the outside especially since I went bonkers on the interior with the regenerative cooling tubes.

screen-shot-2019-03-25-at-5.36.09-pm.png

14 hours ago, johnlove_mk_II said:

Finally found some isopropyl alcohol last night, so I might just get started with my initial prints this weekend.  Still waiting on some parts for a UV curing station, but I guess I can use the Sun for curing the first few prints as they'll likely not be usable anyway.  It will be nice to actually learn by doing rather than by theory.

I won't be printing this engine bell but it is nice to know that a flat placement and larger supports will work.  I was thinking cleaning supports from the inside of the bell would be far more difficult than the outside especially since I went bonkers on the interior with the regenerative cooling tubes.

screen-shot-2019-03-25-at-5.36.09-pm.png

REsin will not need supports inside the bell. It's self supporting up to a certain angle.
I might put a few supports through to the top but nothing more.

First Print with the AnyCubic Photon

Finally got the first print under my belt and it was a little bit of a success and a little bit of a failure.  After leveling the build plate I set up 4 identical APS units and a set of aft skirt umbilicals for the S-IC  and set off to printing.  A couple of hours later the print finished and I was greeted with 2 APS units and the umbilicals.  Two of the APS units were not there.  After cleaning off the other parts I pulled the vat and poured the remaining resin back in the bottle.  Found that the other two APSs had separated from the build plate pretty early in the printing process as there was only the beginning of their platforms.  They were on the outer edge of the plate so I don't know if I didn't clean the plate thoroughly enough, or I didn't get it exactly level and the stuck to the vat early on.  Not sure.

After cleanup and curing I had these ...

img_2042.jpg

They came out better than I expected, especially the umbilicals.  They're very thin and I actually think I could add more detail to them if I wanted. As you can see on the I did crack one pulling it from the supports.  The APS units came out really well too. 

Here's the curing bucket I made from a Home Depot paint bucket and a strip of UV leds I got off Amazon.  Worked like a charm.

img_2026.jpg

Edited by johnlove_mk_II
8 hours ago, johnlove_mk_II said:

First Print with the AnyCubic Photon

Finally got the first print under my belt and it was a little bit of a success and a little bit of a failure.  After leveling the build plate I set up 4 identical APS units and a set of aft skirt umbilicals for the S-IC  and set off to printing.  A couple of hours later the print finished and I was greeted with 2 APS units and the umbilicals.  Two of the APS units were not there.  After cleaning off the other parts I pulled the vat and poured the remaining resin back in the bottle.  Found that the other two APSs had separated from the build plate pretty early in the printing process as there was only the beginning of their platforms.  They were on the outer edge of the plate so I don't know if I didn't clean the plate thoroughly enough, or I didn't get it exactly level and the stuck to the vat early on.  Not sure.

After cleanup and curing I had these ...

img_2042.jpg

They came out better than I expected, especially the umbilicals.  They're very thin and I actually think I could add more detail to them if I wanted. As you can see on the I did crack one pulling it from the supports.  The APS units came out really well too. 

Here's the curing bucket I made from a Home Depot paint bucket and a strip of UV leds I got off Amazon.  Worked like a charm.

img_2026.jpg

They look great.
Always filter resin before putting back in the bottle. Never know what floaties might be in there.

Second round of printing went pretty well.  No build plate separations but I did have one strangely formed part.  Probably could have used an extra support there or something.

So we now have a set of hold-downs and aft umbilicals for both Saturn Vs. Neat-o.

img_2048.jpg

Oh man! looking great. Careful though, this stuff will get addicitve. Awesome being able to draw up parts, print them, and then use them on your build. It's an incredible feeling of freedom and control, unlike some forms of model building. Amazing times we are living in indeed.

Bill

On 6/6/2020 at 12:20 AM, johnlove_mk_II said:

Second round of printing went pretty well.  No build plate separations but I did have one strangely formed part.  Probably could have used an extra support there or something.

So we now have a set of hold-downs and aft umbilicals for both Saturn Vs. Neat-o.

img_2048.jpg

Always put supports on corners and edges.
And for added safety print a few more parts than needed

On 6/6/2020 at 12:28 AM, niart17 said:

Oh man! looking great. Careful though, this stuff will get addicitve. Awesome being able to draw up parts, print them, and then use them on your build. It's an incredible feeling of freedom and control, unlike some forms of model building. Amazing times we are living in indeed.

Bill

3D wont replace all styrene models (unless you are a 3D guru) but it will certainly enhance them

• 3 weeks later...