Has this EVER happened to you?? Decal setting solution?

I'm in the final throws of completing Kitty Hawks 48th scale UH-1D/H.  Put on most decals last nite and use my standard SolvaSet.  This morning, decals were laying beautiful!!

Added some more decals to opposite side of tailboom and again, used SolvaSet.  Notice the lid was less than tight.  (Musta not tighten it good last nite.)  Went shopping with Wife and when I returned some 3 hours later ready to install details and shoot Flat Finish, BUT, the black decals were melted!!!  CRAP!!!  Totally unusable!!

So, question, did water evaporate outta my loose SolvaSet cap bottle making it MUCH STRONGER?????  Only thing I can think of that melted decals this morning and snugged 'em down last nite?????

Poed BO

Not all decals are the same. Some are printed on a very thin carrier but yours came from the same sheet?

Evaporating of  the mixture?  Good question..  I found microsol is not reliable..but is it the decal itself?

Edited by cag_200

Walthers Solvaset has long had a reputation for being pretty powerful stuff and often safer to use after being diluted a bit with water.

How probable it is I can't say, but evaporation making it more concentrated could be possible.

Question is, how long would it take for a significant amount of liquid to evaporate through such a small air gap.

2 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Walthers Solvaset has long had a reputation for being pretty powerful stuff and often safer to use after being diluted a bit with water.

How probable it is I can't say, but evaporation making it more concentrated could be possible.

Question is, how long would it take for a significant amount of liquid to evaporate through such a small air gap.

I've used Walters SolvaSet for .......... years!!!  And it was the decals from the same sheet.  I've lightly applied it, dabbed up the excess.  All looked good when I left.  The Tail Number has both Black and White numbers!!  White was unaffected!!  Black melted!!!

And the lid WAS put on, just not tightened down.  I WILL add some Distilled Water, several drops, before using it again.

Bo

Edited by jabow
12 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Never heard of that before.  Were they my decals or the kit's.  it shouldn't matter.  Do you need new ones?  I have both obviously.  

Floyd

They were your decals and that's EXACTLY why I bought 3 sheets.  I was gonna use Kit US ARMY on Tailboom but kit is different font than yours.  Yours looks better.  

I'll take the black '16' on tail number from another subject on your sheet.  I want to build other 134th AHC Hueys.

Just keep more decals coming.

Bo

5 hours ago, cag_200 said:

Not all decals are the same. Some are printed on a very thin carrier but yours came from the same sheet?

Evaporating of  the mixture?  Good question..  I found microsol is not reliable..but is it the decal itself?

Maybe it was the time of day I applied them????  LOL!!!!  These decals ARE very thin and this time, I may not even use a decal set.

I've got everything ready for a second try.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!  LOL!  Like that'l help!!  LOL!!

Bo

15 hours ago, jabow said:

I've used Walters SolvaSet for .......... years!!!  The Tail Number has both Black and White numbers!!  White was unaffected!!  Black melted!!!

Should I admit to using it since the mid 1970s? 

That difference in reaction by ink color is something I've never encountered, or even heard of, before. Fascinating.

Coming from a painting background for a career, you can have the same brand of paint, and all other factors being the same, the colorants used in different colors can do different things sometimes. I gotta think ink is a similar monster. It's not as exact a science as people think.

I let the kit with future for 24 hr... then apply the decals and then with a swab I apply a layer of future.. then dull coat (Huey case) and they finish like they are paint!

but the micro sol and set things works amazing also.

Edited by CharlieUH-1H