Figured I would work on this while taking a break from the Tracker so I don't get burned out.  Didn't like the way the Eduard PE belts looked so I made some out of led foil and some PE buckles.  the Cockpit green color is mixed from Tamiya acrylics.  

First the bird that I will do:

gmoPAxgl.jpg

2VEYY1tl.jpg

cockpit work:

QR0Y1UWl.jpg

C5v0tcbl.jpg

hXUAXtdl.jpg

tUSXF9bl.jpg

LvHrugsl.jpg

Added the missing O2 hose on the starboard sidewall that was missing out of solder.

e27ZRYvl.jpg

Added some wire to make an ignition harness and use the correct magnetos (not what is called out in the instructions)

IaVI0z7l.jpg

7ieikFrl.jpg

PiL9YcXl.jpg

Looks great so far and coming along nicely. I really like your belts.

I have already built one of those kits and it was a joy. the parts just fell into place. I really should get going on doing another as I had such a great time. I also did the same squadron as you but with the double blue camo and some nose art. My next one I am thinking about has a shark mouth.

got all the seams sanded and smoothed.  Hit it with Black Mr. Surfacer 1500 thinned with Gunze Leveling thinner, in preparation for the natural metal underside.  While I was at it, i figured it would be a good base for the black/purple mix main color to come.  I figured i would show some chipping, so I went a head and painted a few areas that I will chip up with Duraluminum, the same color used for my base for the underside.  

Andy

M1ARK3Gl.jpg

eLNfiRPl.jpg

acRt6AYl.jpg

pvIacVdl.jpg

D4IqHzkl.jpg

siqQYWxl.jpg

4 hours ago, titan8251 said:

got all the seams sanded and smoothed.  Hit it with Black Mr. Surfacer 1500 thinned with Gunze Leveling thinner, in preparation for the natural metal underside.  While I was at it, i figured it would be a good base for the black/purple mix main color to come.  I figured i would show some chipping, so I went a head and painted a few areas that I will chip up with Duraluminum, the same color used for my base for the underside.  

Andy

"Black/purple main mix"? I thought the main colour was a dark blue. Darker than the insignia blue of the roundels. I see it says that in the description you posted but maybe I am wrong though. Maybe that purple tint is making me see blue?

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

Being a old Prop kind of guy, and being raised half way between Grumman's to the west, and Republic to the East. So naturally I'm a big Jug fan.  Got all the Tamiya kits in my stash, but some how never seem to get around to actually starting any of them. 

I've seen a ton of P-47 builds, and most have the interiors as Interior Green which is incorrect for the entire D & M series till the end of the war.   The correct color is exactly as you've used: DDG (Dark Dull Green).   I really love the added cockpit details, especially those homemade seatbelts and harnesses + buckles. I just gotta get some of them. Are they made by Eduard?

Your engine detailing really kicks it up a few notches. Just a quick note if it's not to late, but I'm pretty sure that the Ms had the inside of the cowlings remained clear metal. 

I'm really looking forward to your update.

Joel

Joel,

thanks for the compliments. The buckles were some Waldron ones and scratchbuilt ones done with solder. I’m still not 100% sold on the cockpit color and think I’m off a touch. As for the cowling, yes it too late as it is already glued on. Oh well, i have another in the stash and have wrote that tidbit down lol. 

Question, what color are the landing gear struts? 

Andy

2 minutes ago, titan8251 said:

Joel,

thanks for the compliments. The buckles were some Waldron ones and scratchbuilt ones done with solder. I’m still not 100% sold on the cockpit color and think I’m off a touch. As for the cowling, yes it too late as it is already glued on. Oh well, i have another in the stash and have wrote that tidbit down lol. 

Question, what color are the landing gear struts? 

Andy

Andy,

Camo painted  P-47s all  had their landing gear struts painted #41 Dark Olive Drab. On the Swedish IPMS site they list the closet 595 chip as FS 23070, which is really pretty dark. From what I can recall Tamiya makes a Dark Olive Drab that's pretty close.

Joel

13 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Andy,

Camo painted  P-47s all  had their landing gear struts painted #41 Dark Olive Drab. On the Swedish IPMS site they list the closet 595 chip as FS 23070, which is really pretty dark. From what I can recall Tamiya makes a Dark Olive Drab that's pretty close.

Joel

Joel,

so i should paint them dark olive green?

andy

1 hour ago, titan8251 said:

Joel,

sorry for the questions. Would it be the entire strut or just the upper part of the strut?

TIA

andy 

Andy,

I'm no expert by any means, as I found a lot of this why doing my research for various USAAF/USN  WWII prop builds. Dana Bell has been of tremendous help to me, as his books and online material is  usually always right on.  Honestly, I've never given it much consideration one way or the other, as all my builds are still in the early planning stages.  I've reached out to a friend of mine in England whose a Jug modeler to the nth degree. 

Here's a picture of a actual camo painted Jug. You can clearly see that the strut on the left hand side of the picture has been painted. the strut on the right hand side is in direct bright sunlight and looks like NM. My guess is that these both are #41 D.O.D. 

4V9UAG.jpg

Here's a NM strut but it's an restoration, and  I'm always learly  of them. 

pxzeWB.jpg

As soon as I get an answer to  my email, I'll let you know.

Joel