1/72 B-2 Aftermarket Options

OK, so I'm one of those guys who will throw a ton of cash at a kit to add a fair amount of detail.  I enjoy adding these extra sets and the work that goes into these sets.  

The Modelcollect B-2 is a very nice kit that has some detail shortcomings like th weapons and wheel bays.  Eduard has released a few pricey sets to spruce up these areas, but I'm skeptical about 2D brass-only sets.  

I believe that resin sets would work best in these areas especially with the rotary launchers and details that just don't look great as etched brass.  

Any rumors out there of companies looking to fill these gaps?  Am I alone in what I think this kit would benefit from?

I'm committed to a Nimitz catapult diorama that is seeming to take forever, so no hurry.  

That's  all. 

Chris 

7 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

I sure would love be to find a actual picture of the bomb Bay and see what the rotary launcher looks like. I am not sure if the weapons should be staggered like the kit represents. 

Will this do? 

B-2_bomb_bay_050411-F-1740G-005.jpg

You can tell from the picture how the bomb racks are arranged as two offset crosses, one behind the other, same as in the kit. I'm pretty sure the reason is weapon clearance issues - with the offset racks, you can load eight of certain stores that you can only fit four of on a B-52 or B-1 rotary launcher because the fins stick out too much. Like JSOW or Paveway. 

Edit: Picture is from Wikipedia courtesy of the USAF, so it's in the public domain. 

Edit 2: Just found out while looking for a pic of the Modelcollect bomb bay that they're releasing an 1/72 B-1B as well. Holy crap, the old Airfix and Monogram models may finally be retired!

Edit 3: Judging from a video I just found on youtube on a team of techs working on a B-52 Conventional Rotary Launcher, it also has offset bomb racks, and may be the same actual design...

Edited by SebastianP
1 hour ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Awsome thanks that confirms it for me. I already bought some HASEGAWA weapons kit to put in this model. Thanks for posting the pic.

Filling the bomb bays on this thing with appropriate weapons will cost almost as much as the plane if you're using Hasegawa weapons sets - your spares box will be happy I suppose. 

The alternative to the Conventional Rotary Launcher is to scratch build the fixed bomb rack assembly that's used when you want to load oodles of GBU-38s or CBUS - it's like a left/right dividing wall, with ten bomb attachments per side, plus another ten on each wall of the bomb bay for a total of 40 in each bay. That's another "your wallet will scream" option....

14 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

I sure would love be to find a actual picture of the bomb Bay and see what the rotary launcher looks like. I am not sure if the weapons should be staggered like the kit represents. 

The book ACC Bomber Triad by Logan describes the B-2 rotary launcher as having three different rings that the ejector racks can be mounted to, depending on weapon. 

It lists GBU-31/MK84 as being staggered on rings C & D, while B61/B83 would be staggered on rings B & D. 

The book doesn’t mention the launcher configuration for JASSM; that might be an example of a weapon that wouldn’t be staggered....

Jonah